Olympics Gold Medal Final: Canada vs. Sweden - Friday, August 6th - Tokyo, Japan - 8 am Eastern / 5 am Pacific

Cblake

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Nice post, great post. Fan jitters are amazing, a great feeling. And then the high you can have after, or the low. 

Somehow I feel that a lot of Canadians understand what it means to win a gold in soccer, don't think there is another sport with this feeling at the Olympics. 

Thanks Unnamed Trialist.  Glad my rambling is being read in a soccer forum.

38 minutes ago, _Vic_ said:

We are not alone in our stories. Sweden has not missed a single Olympics and qualifying out of UEFA is very tough, the first couple were just eight teams globally. They lost in the final last Olympics. They have that sour historical revenge  taste in their mouth that we had against the USA. They also lost on a golden goal in extra time in the final in 2003 World Cup. And they have the aging icon too, their captain Caroline Seger is 36 and has played for country for 20 years and never won either.

That's a good point too.  I recall Sweden winning bronze a few times in the World Cup too.  Like you said, they've accomplished a lot but never gold, just silver or bronze.

Honestly if Canada wasn't in the final, I would root for Sweden to take it all because they have humiliated the USA a few times (in this Olympic and in the last) and that was enjoyable to watch.  It sucks that one team has to be heartbroken tomorrow, but that's part of the game.

Does anybody know what channel the game will actually be on? I'm at a hotel, and can't seem to find English CBC, but have found a couple TSN channels as well as a Sportsnet channel. Hoping I can watch it on the TV and not have to resort to my laptop to watch it streaming from the CBC website (but not the end of the world if I have to do that I suppose).

I did see a CBC logo on a picture about the game time on Canada Soccer's twitter. Doesn't specifically say the game is being shown there though. We are up for a few different medals between 8am and 10am Eastern (men's 5000m, women's 1500m, and the men's 4x100m) so I don't know if CBC would stay with the game the whole way through.

Also, I found this hype video while looking through Canada Soccer twitter to find the channel. Gives me the feels and I'm more pumped for the game now than I was before. I was so thoroughly satisfied with the win over the USA that the difference between gold and silver somehow didn't really sink in. This video helps me get back to realizing the enormous difference being Gold medal winners would be!

27 minutes ago, Kent said:

Does anybody know what channel the game will actually be on? I'm at a hotel, and can't seem to find English CBC, but have found a couple TSN channels as well as a Sportsnet channel. Hoping I can watch it on the TV and not have to resort to my laptop to watch it streaming from the CBC website (but not the end of the world if I have to do that I suppose).

I did see a CBC logo on a picture about the game time on Canada Soccer's twitter. Doesn't specifically say the game is being shown there though. We are up for a few different medals between 8am and 10am Eastern (men's 5000m, women's 1500m, and the men's 4x100m) so I don't know if CBC would stay with the game the whole way through.

Also, I found this hype video while looking through Canada Soccer twitter to find the channel. Gives me the feels and I'm more pumped for the game now than I was before. I was so thoroughly satisfied with the win over the USA that the difference between gold and silver somehow didn't really sink in. This video helps me get back to realizing the enormous difference being Gold medal winners would be!

They have been showing all the women's soccer matches on the main CBC.

Was going through some old boxes tonight looking for a book and came across this DVD (remember those) and did a double take. Been in there least a decade and probably the only copy in the country, let alone signed copy.

I hope we ride the wave and have a lot of presence and good fortune tomorrow, but if it's not in the cards I'm still amazed at the outcome and rocking the country, again. And if we were to lose to anyone Sweden would be pretty high on the list.

Will go to sleep dreaming they finish 120 and do a shootout until the next morning and then make the same decision the high jumpers did.

224828.jpg

1 hour ago, DavemTFC said:

So surreal to think tomorrow morning we get to watch Canada play in a major world final

That, but I would also say seemingly lower keyed than I would have expected in the discussion on here.  I would have expected an over-analysis to the hilt by posters but the feeling I get is one of just "play ball" and see what happens.

Also, check out my post about the Olympics in the General Discussion section.

Edited by BearcatSA