Olympics Gold Medal Final: Canada vs. Sweden - Friday, August 6th - Tokyo, Japan - 8 am Eastern / 5 am Pacific

Cblake

In one of Priestman's recent interviews, she talked a bit about the Gilles/Zadorsky decision.  She thought that Gilles strength in heading was what was required against the Americans, but would go back to Zadorsky if she thought the latter's "sweet left foot" was needed.  It didn't sound like it was an issue of form.  It will be interesting to see which starts against Sweden.  If it is Zadorsky, then we know that Priestman wasn't just protecting her feelings in that comment.

As to using Sesselman in 2015, I think her replacement would have been Marie-Eve Nault, who was unattached and taking part in her last tournament before retirement.  So, I think that Sesselman was the best option at the time.  Apart from that one gaffe, I thought she played well enough.

5 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

Still no update as to whether the kick off time will be movied?

It's currently 340 am in Tokyo.

My guess is if it does get moved we will find out later tonight (Canada time)

One thing I read is that if the match time is moved they will need to play at another stadium.

8 hours ago, rkomar said:

As to using Sesselman in 2015, I think her replacement would have been Marie-Eve Nault, who was unattached and taking part in her last tournament before retirement.  So, I think that Sesselman was the best option at the time.  Apart from that one gaffe, I thought she played well enough.

Moscato played in the knockout match vs the Swiss.  Gayle and Zurrer were also available at CB, iirc.  Nault was fullback cover and not a true CB option.  Sesselmann had a few dodgy plays in possession during her play but didn't get punished like she did against England.  I think at the end of the day Herdman probably decided that she was the best option.

Gilles has started in back to back knockout round wins.  I would be very surprised if Priestman went back to Zadorsky for the final, regardless of presser comments.

Edited by BearcatSA

6 hours ago, spinrack said:

All things considered, we would obviously prefer for it to be moved earlier in the morning, Tokyo time, since that works for viewers in all Canadian time zones.

If it is moved later, then it needs to go as late as possible into evening, like 8pm Tokyo time (7am EDT), since at least Canadians in the eastern time zones could wake up at a semi-reasonable hour to watch it.

F*ck us on the west coast I guess, eh.

6 hours ago, rkomar said:

In one of Priestman's recent interviews, she talked a bit about the Gilles/Zadorsky decision.  She thought that Gilles strength in heading was what was required against the Americans, but would go back to Zadorsky if she thought the latter's "sweet left foot" was needed.  It didn't sound like it was an issue of form.  It will be interesting to see which starts against Sweden.  If it is Zadorsky, then we know that Priestman wasn't just protecting her feelings in that comment.

Going back to zadorsky would be the biggest head-scratcher of the tournament. She was a disaster out there early in the tournament and Gilles has been one of our best players the last few games.

I think cooler heads will prevail and the time will get moved, pun intended.

Both teams have strengths and weaknesses. Sweden have won every game they've played and not by accident. They also did that coming out of the group of death that was 3/4 semi-finalists. They have strength all over the park, a couple like Jakobsson with pace, like Rolfö with fitness and multiple threats. Back line has some gaps and their goalkeeper outside her six is dodgy. Huge game for our strikers. If they find some success it couldn't come on a better day.

Been super impressed by Shelina Zadorsky's attitude and you can tell it's legitimate and not put on. Winner. To balance the equation she's well recovered and fresh. Guess it depends on the overall game plan. I imagine that's to not give them much in behind or to let them isolate our wide defenders. But you never know. Less concerned about who plays because they're both so talented.

4 hours ago, spinrack said:

Not what I meant.  I don’t know what the alternative is if the game is moved later...  5pm Tokyo / 4am ET / 1am PT?  That surely pleases no one.

It's all good, I was just joking around, should have put it in purple 🍻

I wouldn't complain about 1am actually. Sleep for a few hours, get up to watch the game, sleep for a few more, wake up and it's Friday 🤣

35 minutes ago, narduch said:

It's official. 

Game is 9pm Japan time

8am ET/ 5am Pacific

So Friday Morning if you live in Canada 

Wow, good catch. I was just looking and it had not moved yet. 

Doesn't that coincide with a lot of other events though, like track and field? Oh, and perhaps the men's bronze medal match.

Still, that means 2pm CET, for me and the Swedes alike. So an acceptable time for us. Not really great for Canadian viewing, but acceptable.

17 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Wow, good catch. I was just looking and it had not moved yet. 

Doesn't that coincide with a lot of other events though, like track and field? Oh, and perhaps the men's bronze medal match.

Still, that means 2pm CET, for me and the Swedes alike. So an acceptable time for us. Not really great for Canadian viewing, but acceptable.

That's why they had to change stadiums. The original stadium also has athletics.

The 4x100m relay is at 950am ET tomorrow. De Grasse  will be going for a 2nd gold

I'm sure there is other events too

• Cblake changed the title to Olympics Gold Medal Final: Canada vs. Sweden - Friday, August 6th - Tokyo, Japan - 8 am Eastern / 5 am Pacific

Wow... is this what nerves feel like for a fan?  I'm one of the outliers who enjoy women's soccer MUCH more than men's.  When I watch men's World Cup or Euro Cup finals, I might prefer one team over another, but with no strong desire for who would win.  Neither team is my country, so to me, it doesn't really matter and I just want a good match.

However, with women's soccer, obviously, my country is in it so women's soccer is a lot more nerve-wracking.  I couldn't stop rambling before the Canada vs. USA match.  Then, during the match, my husband playfully covered my eyes during Fleming's PK because I kept screaming that I was too nervous to watch. 

I know lots of Canadians experience nervousness watching men's soccer because they are huge fans of particular teams (whether they are tied to those countries or not).  But for me, it's Canada or I don't care.  Hence, women's soccer is much more exciting for me because Canada is on world stage.  This is the first time I've experienced "fan jitters" or whatever you call it. Sure, I was nervous watching Canada's bronze medal matches in 2012 and 2016 too, but not like this.  I mean, this is the gold-medal match!  Come on.  I saw the heartbreak in 2012 when we were robbed of a chance for gold.  I just can't imagine how the team (especially Sinclair) would feel if we lose this too.  This could be the final chance for Sinclair to win gold, after all.  Personally as a fan, I am already very proud of Canada for winning silver (aka winning the semifinal) and I don't need them to win gold to continue supporting them, but I just don't want to see their faces and their heartbreaks all over again if they lose, you know.

So that's my ramble.  Forgive me if I've been rambling too much on here as I tend to do that when I'm nervous.  I'm at work so it's not like there's anyone else who would listen to me.

27 minutes ago, Sinc_Tanc_Olympic_Action said:

Wow... is this what nerves feel like for a fan?  I'm one of the outliers who enjoy women's soccer MUCH more than men's.  When I watch men's World Cup or Euro Cup finals, I might prefer one team over another, but with no strong desire for who would win.  Neither team is my country, so to me, it doesn't really matter and I just want a good match.

However, with women's soccer, obviously, my country is in it so women's soccer is a lot more nerve-wracking.  I couldn't stop rambling before the Canada vs. USA match.  Then, during the match, my husband playfully covered my eyes during Fleming's PK because I kept screaming that I was too nervous to watch. 

I know lots of Canadians experience nervousness watching men's soccer because they are huge fans of particular teams (whether they are tied to those countries or not).  But for me, it's Canada or I don't care.  Hence, women's soccer is much more exciting for me because Canada is on world stage.  This is the first time I've experienced "fan jitters" or whatever you call it. Sure, I was nervous watching Canada's bronze medal matches in 2012 and 2016 too, but not like this.  I mean, this is the gold-medal match!  Come on.  I saw the heartbreak in 2012 when we were robbed of a chance for gold.  I just can't imagine how the team (especially Sinclair) would feel if we lose this too.  This could be the final chance for Sinclair to win gold, after all.  Personally as a fan, I am already very proud of Canada for winning silver (aka winning the semifinal) and I don't need them to win gold to continue supporting them, but I just don't want to see their faces and their heartbreaks all over again if they lose, you know.

So that's my ramble.  Forgive me if I've been rambling too much on here as I tend to do that when I'm nervous.  I'm at work so it's not like there's anyone else who would listen to me.

Nice post, great post. Fan jitters are amazing, a great feeling. And then the high you can have after, or the low. 

Somehow I feel that a lot of Canadians understand what it means to win a gold in soccer, don't think there is another sport with this feeling at the Olympics. 

We are not alone in our stories. Sweden has not missed a single Olympics and qualifying out of UEFA is very tough, the first couple were just eight teams globally. They lost in the final last Olympics. They have that sour historical revenge  taste in their mouth that we had against the USA. They also lost on a golden goal in extra time in the final in 2003 World Cup. And they have the aging icon too, their captain Caroline Seger is 36 and has played for country for 20 years and never won either.