2021 Canadian Premier League Attendance

1 hour ago, CDNFootballer said:

Most realized when the season and this thread started that this is not a year to judge much of anything attendance wise going forward because it was being played in a pandemic and the uncertainty/lateness of the season's organization.

For sure, but I was watching the York United numbers in the hope that they could see a bump considering how lousy TFC were this year.

In many respects, CPL attendance is in a similar situation to women's leagues. For instance, the English FA recently stated their goal was average crowds of 6,000 at WSL games by 2023-24.

Many think this will be hard to reach. The WSL’s average attendance this season, through the first six rounds of matches, is 2,282.

The most cited issue has been lack of atmosphere. Some are suggesting specific sections for away fans, so they can sit together and sing together and more emphasis of rivalries rather than focusing on family friendly. Because of the soulless atmosphere, some fans have chosen to go to games in men's lower leagues instead.

But unlike the CPL, there has been one-off spectaculars, where 5,000, 10,000 or even more than 20,000 watch a WSL match usually during men international breaks in the larger PL stadiums. The other difference is that tv ratings have really improved this year - again especially during the men international breaks. There has been a peak average of 318k on Sky Sports and 668k on the BBC. 

For me I think the CPL brass (if such a thing exists) need to sit down and look at things. I get most people are blaming no one showing up at games on 'Covid'. My feeling is though they need to go with smaller stadiums in downtown areas. Almost every team is either in a CFL stadium or outside downtown. Multiple instances from different leagues this just doesn't work. I just don't know why set yourself up for failure?? Playing in a massive football stadium has never worked in MLS but somehow its going to magically work in Winnipeg or Hamilton? No of course its not. York, Edmonton, Calgary and Pacific seem o be outside city cores. None of them are working either. Why not just do it right? City cores, small stadiums? If you cant find 8 locations in Canada in a city where you can puit up a few sets of bleachers and have a patch of grass we have vision problems. I dont mean to be negative but this format will fail if changes are not made.

On 11/14/2021 at 1:30 PM, Cheeta said:

Couple 'o thoughts.

Nobody should use 2021 as a gauge for anything.  And local circumstances form too much into each team's marketability to provide a league wide template for success or failure.  Just my opinion.

As has been mentioned, and I think this CAN BE applied league wide successfully, is using the match schedule to best effect.  Efforts at cost saving through travel reductions hurts gates.  I firmly believe that's a truth CanPL HQ already knows.  Four home fixtures in 14 days is not helping attendance.  It's that simple.

Again, hoping we'll see more of a normal, balanced league calender in 2022 and expect that will help.  Home this week away next. Getting to 3 matches in a week and a half feel like work.  I'm still going but that's me.

As of a couple of days ago not one Canadian NHL arena has sold out, look at TFC attendance as well, nothing is back to normal! The condensed schedule and Forge having a run in Concacaf League meant we had 3 home games in a week at times, not everyone can commit to that, hopefully next season is better all round!

...but 45,000+ in Edmonton for the CMNT and a record home crowd for Halifax Wanderers this season. It's easy to cherrypick on this to fit a preferred narrative, but people should probably ask themselves if what they are seeing on actual crowds in the stadiums at the moment is really so very different from the fall season in 2019 after the novelty factor wore off pre-COVID. The interest level is what it is and no amount of upbeat posts online are going to change the massive contrast in what is happening on the one hand with York United and FCE and on the other extreme in Nova Scotia.

14 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Playing in a massive football stadium has never worked in MLS but somehow its going to magically work in Winnipeg or Hamilton? No of course its not.

Atlanta and Seattle have worked. I'm sure Forge and Valour are hoping to emulate those teams more than the Revolution, albeit at a smaller scale.

It helps that those teams are under the umbrella of their respective CFL clubs, so costs aren't what they'd be if they were purely renting from another entity (like Atletico Ottawa is doing).

Anyway, I agree with those that point out the COVID reality dragging down enthusiasm in some people to gather in large crowds, although that's of little consolation for the likes of York and FCE.

1 hour ago, RS said:

Atlanta and Seattle have worked. I'm sure Forge and Valour are hoping to emulate those teams more than the Revolution, albeit at a smaller scale.

It helps that those teams are under the umbrella of their respective CFL clubs, so costs aren't what they'd be if they were purely renting from another entity (like Atletico Ottawa is doing).

Anyway, I agree with those that point out the COVID reality dragging down enthusiasm in some people to gather in large crowds, although that's of little consolation for the likes of York and FCE.

If I’m a casual soccer fan and I go watch a game with 6000 in a nice small packed stadium in Halifax as opposed to 6000 in a big massive stadium in either Ottawa, Hamilton or Winnipeg , I’m pretty sure I’m going to want to go back to watch a game in Halifax rather than Winnipeg, Ottawa or Hamilton with the same number of fans . Yes I get the CFL angle and the financial angle I'm not going to argue that , however , watching a game in a packed small Stadium like Halifax, Calgary or Pacific there is no comparison, you can’t match the atmosphere in a small packed stadium compared to a big empty stadium with the same attendance. It is what it is with these big CPL stadiums it’s unfortunate but I’m loving my small CPL stadiums in Calgary, Pacific and Halifax.

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

If I’m a casual soccer fan and I go watch a game with 6000 in a nice small packed stadium in Halifax as opposed to 6000 in a big massive stadium in either Ottawa, Hamilton or Winnipeg , I’m pretty sure I’m going to want to go back to watch a game in Halifax rather than Winnipeg, Ottawa or Hamilton with the same number of fans . 

Back in the "old" days they scheduled some 86ers games at BC Place while Swangard was being renovated.  Crowds were around 6000, so the same or a little more than they were getting at Swangard, but the atmosphere was horrible.  I hated it.

20 hours ago, gator said:

As of a couple of days ago not one Canadian NHL arena has sold out, look at TFC attendance as well, nothing is back to normal! The condensed schedule and Forge having a run in Concacaf League meant we had 3 home games in a week at times, not everyone can commit to that, hopefully next season is better all round!

All of the pre-covid existing NHL is suffering ex 2 teams who are higher.

Surprised the 13-4 Oilers with the best player are averaging below 16k. Is it covid preventing indoor attendance while they're more comfortable attending outdoor Canada matches? I have also read Edmonton is a changing city as seen recently by the new mayor and the turnout we saw was another way for people to show it.

I think there are a lot of people still wary to come out to things. Likely WAY off base here but I think the demographics for Soccer crowds/hockey/CFL have lots of overlap but I feel if there is an overly cautious crowd with attending, the soccer crowd would be the one most affected. That is playing on huge assumptions and stereotypes though!

Anyone know what the V Cup attendance was today? Thought 5k was not bad for Forge today given the weather and lots going on.

2 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I think there are a lot of people still wary to come out to things. Likely WAY off base here but I think the demographics for Soccer crowds/hockey/CFL have lots of overlap but I feel if there is an overly cautious crowd with attending, the soccer crowd would be the one most affected. That is playing on huge assumptions and stereotypes though!

Anyone know what the V Cup attendance was today? Thought 5k was not bad for Forge today given the weather and lots going on.

I didn't see the attendance numbers until now, that seems about right and I think that is a fantastic crowd given the conditions, it was wet and cold in the stands so that eliminates the walk up casual fans! The Battalion was rocking from start to finish and the crowd overall was loud and enthusiastic and we have at least two more home matches to go, great times in The Hammer!

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Think this game and its miserable weather conditions help to bolster the evidence for the league using tickets distributed rather than tickets scanned for its announced numbers:

Are you saying there wasn't that many in the crowd, are you basing this on pictures of empty seats in a 22K capacity stadium on an absolutely horrendous day? The Battalion section was good and full, many people who din't have a $400 Gore Tex jacket like myself were watching this match from the concourses, it was nasty and I thought that was an excellent enthusiastic crowd, what is your point?

18 minutes ago, gator said:

Are you saying there wasn't that many in the crowd, are you basing this on pictures of empty seats in a 22K capacity stadium on an absolutely horrendous day? The Battalion section was good and full, many people who din't have a $400 Gore Tex jacket like myself were watching this match from the concourses, it was nasty and I thought that was an excellent enthusiastic crowd, what is your point?

It was a great crowd given the circumstances.

Any early guesses as to what attendance will be for the final?

2 minutes ago, RS said:

It was a great crowd given the circumstances.

Any early guesses as to what attendance will be for the final?

As I said, it was a great crowd, it's hard to say what the final will draw because of the weather but I think it should be somewhere around the 5K we had for yesterday and the Voyageurs Cup semi final, maybe ask Ozzie? 🤣

1 hour ago, gator said:

Are you saying there wasn't that many in the crowd, are you basing this on pictures of empty seats in a 22K capacity stadium on an absolutely horrendous day? ...

People can draw their own conclusions on whether the announced number of 5123 is likely to have been tickets scanned or tickets distributed given this stadium has a 23218 capacity. The league isn't trying to mislead people in any way on what the actual crowd was like. Perfectly understandable if a lot of fans took one look at the conditions and decided to watch it by webstream instead. I have never understood why so many of the larger Canadian gridiron stadiums don't have a roof over the seating and actually expect people to sit rather than stand in torrential rain. 

4 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I have never understood why so many of the larger Canadian gridiron stadiums don't have a roof over the seating and actually expect people to sit rather than stand in torrential rain. 

Outside of THF, the newer ones don't.