2021 Canadian Premier League Attendance

12 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Look, I get it. But his question here isn't that unreasonable. Most places are limiting capacity right now and they're going to look more empty. Alberta is also marching to the beat of it's own drum, and might not be. It's not an unreasonable question, though I am aware of where it might lead.

As soon as I saw this thread I was going to post this, but I resisted.  But i wondered how long it would take to devolve into him questioning every games attendance (except for Halifax for some reason) and the inevitable posting of game pics and highlights and ticketmaster maps.  It took 3 posts.  And in about 3 pages he'll be talking about a club folding due to poor attendance.  Anyway, have fun with it.  

2 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

As soon as I saw this thread I was going to post this, but I resisted.  But i wondered how long it would take to devolve into him questioning every games attendance (except for Halifax for some reason) and the inevitable posting of game pics and highlights and ticketmaster maps.  It took 3 posts.  And in about 3 pages he'll be talking about a club folding due to poor attendance.  Anyway, have fun with it.  

Ha, I tend to just scroll past most of it.  I look for "attendance" to see roughly what it is and then move on unless there's some truly weird outlier or discussion point, like this Alberta capacity discussion. 

11 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I think the CPL will eventually post the official attendance. At least they did in 2019.

Numbers were posted on Soccerway around fulltime in 2019 on a reasonably consistent basis. My understanding is that the clubs involved supply the info for websites like that so they were probably putting the number announced at the game into the system along with all the other stats.

The league website often took longer until normal office hours and sometimes had a different number than the intial Soccerway one which would then be adjusted to reflect the league website number. Monday morning Hamilton, Ont time is the likely timeline for weekend games, if we are going to be receiving the announced attendance stat this year.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Numbers were posted on Soccerway around fulltime in 2019 on a reasonably consistent basis. My understanding is that the clubs involved supply the info for websites like that so they were probably putting the number announced at the game into the system along with all the other stats.

The league website often took longer until normal office hours and sometimes had a different number than the intial Soccerway one which would then be adjusted to reflect the league website number. Monday morning Hamilton, Ont time is the likely timeline for weekend games, if we are going to be receiving the announced attendance stat this year.

I can't even find TFC attendance listed anywhere. 

Must be a pandemic thing

The number for York was lower than the anticipated 2400 for a sell out although it looks not far off what 75% on restrictions of a reduced capacity of around 2400 would wind up being so maybe there were some misunderstandings of what was being implied there. Given Halifax is known to have been 4000 on restrictions the number there will help to tell us if they are going with a tickets scanned or distributed number as the torrential rain clearly scared some people away.

On 7/31/2021 at 12:44 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Judge for yourselves if what I wrote is a fair reflection. Langford is one of the places where Onesoccer's camera angle makes all of the seating readily visible:

Not that it changes the numbers drastically, but the cameras do NOT show the beer garden on the North Side directly beside the camera stands. That area was disturbingly packed as usual.

Judge for yourselves if what I wrote is a fair reflection. Langford is one of the places where Onesoccer's camera angle makes all of the seating readily visible:

Not that it changes the numbers drastically, but the cameras do NOT show the beer garden on the North Side directly beside the camera stands. That area was disturbingly packed as usual.

9 minutes ago, ted said:

I don't think he cares.

You don't see him in the TFC thread complaining that they have not officially announced the attendance for any of their 3 real home games so far.

I considered going to last Sundays TFC game and changed my mind after seeing the ticket prices. There were tons of seats showing available on Ticketmaster

Knocking the CPL is his hobby 

32 minutes ago, narduch said:

I considered going to last Sundays TFC game and changed my mind after seeing the ticket prices. There were tons of seats showing available on Ticketmaster

Should have asked a SSH to hook you up. Light-greys were available to them for $23 each.

28 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Should have asked a SSH to hook you up. Light-greys were available to them for $23 each.

I have the season ticket code. There were none left at that price and I didn't feel like going to the secondary market. 

Decided last minute to go.

Depending on what CMNT announces this week I might try to go on August 14

Edited by narduch

2 hours ago, narduch said:

I have the season ticket code. There were none left at that price and I didn't feel like going to the secondary market.

Ah ... they must have sold them after I checked at noon. Or removed them ...

Still, I have to give TFC (and presumably all of MLSE) credit for how they are handling. Compare to the Jays, where instead of spreading fans across the stadium, they are going for near full capacity behind the place, and not even opening the upper level. And also not letting those who'd already purchased cheap tickets, get new tickets at even close to the same price!

It appears from what was going on behind the goal with the supporters section at the Cavalry game that Alberta has no restrictions at this point so buyer beware on using Ticketmaster to gauge crowds. Sometimes the clubs don't release all the inventory as appears to probably have been the case with the top few rows of the main stand for the Cavalry game:

From what's in the Reddit thread above it's the usual story in Calgary from 2019 of all the inexpensive pricepoint tickets going quickly with most people balking at the high ticket prices for the centre sections of the main stand.

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

It appears from what was going on behind the goal with the supporters section at the Cavalry gamethat Alberta has no restrictions at this point so buyer beware on using Ticketmaster to gauge crowds. Sometimes the clubs don't release all the inventory as appears to probably have been the case with the top few rows of the main stand for the Cavalry game:

From what's in the Reddit thread above it's the usual story in Calgary of all the inexpensive pricepoint tickets going quickly with most people balking at the high ticket prices for the centre sections of the main stand.

It's Tuesday night in Calgary.  Unlike the rest of the country, it's not the end of a long weekend.  Alberta doesn't get an August Long Weekend, they get the day off on November 11. It's a regular summer work week. Unless it's the Flames, you're not getting a sellout here on a weekday.  Not yet, anyway.

Also, take a look at Ticketmaster for the Valour game at ATCO on Sunday.  It's almost sold out already, and there isn't a cluster of empty seats in the middle.  I don't know what your issue is with this, as it makes sense that the most expensive seats would be the hardest to fill.

Fact check: at no point in the post above did I make any negative comment about the size of the crowd or suggest that it didn't make sense in any way that the most expensive seats would be the hardest to fill. Everything in the post was a straight recounting of what happened with a link to where it was being actively discussed elsewhere. I added the explanation that had been provided therein for what was going on with the blue dots and mentioned how it was in line with what was happening there in 2019 because of the ongoing ticket price issue.

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Fact check: at no point in the post above did I make any negative comment about the size of the crowd or suggest that it didn't make sense in any way that the most expensive seats would be the hardest to fill. Everything in the post was a straight recounting of what happened with a link to where it was being actively discussed elsewhere. I added the explanation that had been provided therein for what was going on with the blue dots and mentioned how it was in line with what was happening there in 2019 because of the ongoing ticket price issue.

…and that is a perfectly valid explanation if you completely ignore your post history.   

Guess I have to come in with some actual facts again. Spruce Meadows limited capacity to 50%. And what a surprise to see that the stadium was about 50% full.

Even if ATCO Field was only at half-capacity — about 2,600 — after Spruce Meadows and the Canadian Premier League capped attendance due to the ongoing pandemic, the place was a rockin’.

That wasn’t a surprise given it was footy fans on hand and that it was the first time since mid-March 2020 that a professional sports team was allowed to play in front of spectators in Calgary

https://calgarysun.com/sports/soccer/cavalry-give-fans-what-they-want-win-in-first-home-game-since-2019

Edited by shermanator

10 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

From what's in the Reddit thread above it's the usual story in Calgary from 2019 of all the inexpensive pricepoint tickets going quickly with most people balking at the high ticket prices for the centre sections of the main stand.

8 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Yes you did.  Just typing "the usual story" is dismissive and by extension negative.  You actually do suggest that, because it's a comment within a comment about Cavalry's "high ticket prices".

Anyway, it was a good crowd with everyone in Cavalry red, which means Calgary has a solid fanbase. That bodes well for the future, and I saw that more than the numbers.

2 hours ago, Trois Reds said:

Anyway, it was a good crowd with everyone in Cavalry red

I was surprised how many people were in purple at the Pacific game. I'd say well over half the crowd were sporting some sort of Pacific gear, and many people were decked out. I don't know if that means we're capturing few casuals or that there are quite a few committed fans, but I was asked twice by people attending their first game whether they'd be able to buy gear in the stadium.

Decent but kinda quiet. 2019 I was on the other side but they have us all on the east side now and unfortunately you cant hear The Battalion as well. If they announced the attendance I missed it taking a pee. I would guess 2500 but it's hard to tell in such a big stadium. 

12 hours ago, Ftduck said:

Decent but kinda quiet. 2019 I was on the other side but they have us all on the east side now and unfortunately you cant hear The Battalion as well. If they announced the attendance I missed it taking a pee. I would guess 2500 but it's hard to tell in such a big stadium. 

I'm down in 118 and it's always been difficult to hear 112 at the other end of the east stands regardless of the attendance. 

Our section looked decently busy but it might have been an illusion since Forge moved some usual season seat locations to create a more spread out stand. We had a group of the York supporter group at the top which was nice to see. I'm hoping it was a bit more than 2500 but definitely hard to tell with everyone on the one side.

The Club Suite where we have our season seats appeared to have roughly the normal amount of bums in seats. Down on the east side it looked approximately the same as pre-pandemic times but as you noted there is no one in the lower west side anymore. I agree that it's a tough guesstimate for total attendance...anywhere from 2000 - 3000. But if Ozzie is asking I can confirm Tim Hortons Field was packed...cameras made it look empty because we were always on a pee break.