2021 Canadian Premier League Attendance

9 hours ago, red card said:

Need your expertise. Did the York vs Ryerson match tonight outdo York vs Forge from this afternoon?

Given the 1126 number is probably tickets distributed rather than actual think there's a good chance it was but that isn't the greatest camera angle to judge from and we don't have comparable footage for the Forge game in the public domain. 

Edit: think this settles it.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

34 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

So just to play devils advocate here. he CPL is hoping to capitalize on World Cup fever. I mean we have the best team 0 likely ever, had 50,000 fans watch the game last night at Commonwealth then under 600 for the Eddies? May there be reason to think that a World cup is not going to have a massive impact of attendance in CPL. I mean I think it will have some type of positive effect however in order for this to be significant the league has to get some kind of mainstream exposure before 2026.

43 minutes ago, Big_M said:

cold + match the night before in the cold + covid + team being out of it results to that...under a better situation there would be much more

With all due respect I disagree with all of that. I think the real issue is the casual sports fan doesn't even know the CPL exists - and the few that do dont care. The league should be working frantically on a way to make the league relevant because we are 3 years in and no one even knows it exists outside the hardcore soccer community.

40 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

With all due respect I disagree with all of that. I think the real issue is the casual sports fan doesn't even know the CPL exists - and the few that do dont care. The league should be working frantically on a way to make the league relevant because we are 3 years in and no one even knows it exists outside the hardcore soccer community.

What should they be doing?? Not being a smart ass, but how do you make the team relevant and make the average Joe sit up and take notice??  And there has been BUZZ all over Edmonton, a media blitz about soccer for the last few weeks....soccer is on at least 50000 peoples brain....and it looks like none of that translated into a "lets go watch our local team" urge.  

12 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

What should they be doing?? Not being a smart ass, but how do you make the team relevant and make the average Joe sit up and take notice??  And there has been BUZZ all over Edmonton, a media blitz about soccer for the last few weeks....soccer is on at least 50000 peoples brain....and it looks like none of that translated into a "lets go watch our local team" urge.  

Yea, that's great question! If I had the answer I would have my resume in @ CPL. I mean they need to be on TV, they need to find a way to have their highlight broadcast on sportscasts, they need to be more in the mainstream. How to accomplish that.... that's way above my head. I will say this. With all the pull Bob Young must have at TSN - I'm a little bit surprised he cant get them on board considering the CFL is basically their crown jewel.

1 hour ago, grasshopper1917 said:

So just to play devils advocate here. he CPL is hoping to capitalize on World Cup fever. I mean we have the best team 0 likely ever, had 50,000 fans watch the game last night at Commonwealth then under 600 for the Eddies? May there be reason to think that a World cup is not going to have a massive impact of attendance in CPL. I mean I think it will have some type of positive effect however in order for this to be significant the league has to get some kind of mainstream exposure before 2026.

That's an odd take.

A "casual" goes to a massive event game on Friday night at a stadium that IIRC is a pain in the ass to get to, and you think they are gonna wake up the next morning and travel back out to the same stadium to watch a meaningless game where the home team is expected to get stepped on like bugs?

World Cup "fever" is the push for the CanPL expansion now. The benefits are a league that is weathering the worst possible first three years of any start-up league in history because the hope and interest is building.

38 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I mean, I think that's part of @grasshopper1917's concern - 50k went out to watch Canada, 600 went out to watch the CPL.  And I think we all realize that there's a big difference between a one-off "event" (the first CMNT games in the city in a decade or so + the world famous Davies making his return) and a local team, but that doesn't mean the 600 isn't still a bit disappointing.  If nothing else, I would have hoped the influx of travelling Voyageurs would have bumped that number a bit higher (and maybe it did, which would be even sadder).

I'm curious for anyone who was there - was there FC Edmonton advertising at the game?  Because if the question is "what should they do?" - the CPL should be heavily marketing the league at this event, where it really is the chance to capture some people's attention who might not have really been aware of it before.

I think we'd all be pretty happy if we could be Belgium. Look how they are struggling:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/verein-statistik/zuschauerrangliste/statistik/stat/plus/0?verein=19&wettbewerb=liga

How about Greece:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/verein-statistik/zuschauerrangliste/statistik/stat/plus/0?verein=56&wettbewerb=liga

Everyone needs to calm down. 2022 will improve.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

I mean, I think that's part of @grasshopper1917's concern - 50k went out to watch Canada, 600 went out to watch the CPL.  And I think we all realize that there's a big difference between a one-off "event" (the first CMNT games in the city in a decade or so + the world famous Davies making his return) and a local team, but that doesn't mean the 600 isn't still a bit disappointing.  If nothing else, I would have hoped the influx of travelling Voyageurs would have bumped that number a bit higher (and maybe it did, which would be even sadder).

Thanks that is exactly what I was getting at.

Even if things are bad all over (Europe, MLS etc), it doesnt mean they cant have a plan.  Here in MB advertising, marketing etc is very meager.  You never hear anything about Valour or the CPL.  Its tough to crack that shell and get any kind of buzz.  Maybe with CPL playoffs coming, Forge in CONCACAF league, Vancouver in playoffs, V-CUP final etc, they all might get a bit more traction now that these Edmonton games are getting some attention.  

4 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I'm curious for anyone who was there - was there FC Edmonton advertising at the game? 

Good question. I doubt it based on past experience. It has been refreshing seeing the CPL ads around the games thanks to OneSoccer producing the broadcast.

16 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

So just to play devils advocate here. he CPL is hoping to capitalize on World Cup fever...

I think Ted has covered why the FCE home crowd was always likely to be small for this one but the apparent disinterest from most hardcore soccer fans and officials in town for the CMNT games is more difficult to explain away. Why wouldn't you go see FCE vs Forge under those circumstances? 

The problem CanPL has is that there is next to no link between the emergence of the league and the recent success of the national team and the hardcore fans know that. L1O has played more of a tangible role but I doubt a CMNT triumph will suddenly inspire people to go watch their local L1O team regularly who wouldn't have anyway.

Maybe what's most important is that 2026 (and hopefully 2022) should make CSB a bit of a cash cow at least temporarily.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

I don't think there is a blanket macro level issue with the CPL's attendance like Ozzie is alluding to, and it doesn't have to do with the CMNT having "no link" to the CPL. Otherwise, every other market would be like Edmonton. It's all down to the local market and what that market's situation is. Bison said local advertising is non-existent in Winnipeg. How about Halifax @Grasshopper? What is the overall situation there? Advertising, walk up to the arena, general buzz in the city and province in general, if you know. 

Edited by Macksam