2021 Canadian Premier League Attendance

^ The province by association slipped Valour a pile of cash through financing The Kickoff.  Small crowds or no I don't believe Valour is going to be especially hurt by 2021.

I'd be surprised if Dos Santos signed without there being a clear understanding around responsibilities and budget, Valour's budget handicap being the worst kept secret in the CPL.  

So great hope for 2022.  On all footie fronts.🙂

3 hours ago, Cheeta said:

^ The province by association slipped Valour a pile of cash through financing The Kickoff.  Small crowds or no I don't believe Valour is going to be especially hurt by 2021.

I'd be surprised if Dos Santos signed without there being a clear understanding around responsibilities and budget, Valour's budget handicap being the worst kept secret in the CPL.  

So great hope for 2022.  On all footie fronts.🙂

Do you think PDS had many other offers, though?

4 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Do you think PDS had many other offers, though?

No clue whatsoever.  I suspect not because from Dos Santos' own words this all came together rather quickly, literally over a matter of days. 

But would you accept as your very 1st managing gig the one that's already engineered to fail?  That doesn't sound like very good career planning for anyone wanting to stay in their chosen field of employement.  

15 hours ago, Cheeta said:

No clue whatsoever.  I suspect not because from Dos Santos' own words this all came together rather quickly, literally over a matter of days. 

But would you accept as your very 1st managing gig the one that's already engineered to fail?  That doesn't sound like very good career planning for anyone wanting to stay in their chosen field of employement.  

I don't know how many managers get a 1st gig that doesnt have some flaws with it. If the problems are already well known, I don't know if it harms them. If PDS has any kind of success, he did it in spite of the limitations.  If he fails, well the club was part of the problem.

On 10/14/2021 at 7:56 AM, Watchmen said:

I would not worry about Valour surviving as a club under the current management. They put 14 or more events in to the stadium and that's pretty valuable to the community ownership...

I outline the reason why I'm not particularly worried at this stage above (a 10 year commitment was talked up at the outset which suggests there could be a very hefty exit fee for any group or groups trying to leave the other investors high and dry before then if a majority want to continue) but what sort of crowd do you think it takes to make opening up IG Field actually worthwhile for them rather than a net liability?

I'd be surprised if the tickets scanned number is even as high as 1500 sometimes given the proportion of seats that actually appear to be filled. In the spring season of 2019 they were drawing much better apparently without papering the house like the Forge did so in many ways it has been the most disappointing market to watch unfold in terms of the trend in interest level.

3 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I outline the reason why I'm not particularly worried at this stage above (a 10 year commitment was talked up at the outset which suggests there could be a very hefty exit fee for any group or groups trying to leave the other investors high and dry before then if a majority want to continue) but what sort of crowd do you think it takes to make opening up IG Field actually worthwhile for them rather than a net liability?

I'd be surprised if the tickets scanned number is even as high as 1500 sometimes given the proportion of seats that actually appear to be filled. In the spring season of 2019 they were drawing much better apparently without papering the house like the Forge did so in many ways it has been the most disappointing market to watch unfold in terms of the trend in interest level.

While that's always a consideration, I've said it before and I'll say again - this is not the year to judge attendance. You're dealing with multiple issues, from COVID protocols to messed up schedules with a lot of mid-week action.  The league should keep an eye on dipping attendance late in the season (when the weather turns and games become more meaningless for some teams) but that's a trend to watch across all teams rather than a specific market.  As well, it's not uncommon for marketing opportunities like stadium naming rights to have more value if the stadium is in more use.  So while Valour wouldn't directly benefit from them, the organization as a whole still might.

The issues we are seeing at the moment in Winnipeg on actual crowds were also apparent in the fall season of 2019 so I am not judging based on 2021 alone. Halifax still seem to be able to draw 6000 with much the same issues and a similarly underforming team so I'm not sold on the COVID angle making a massive difference elsewhere in CanPL now that most people are doubly vaccinated. Different story a couple of months back.

Maybe you are right about the naming rights angle, but it begs the question how much they receive for the Blue Bombers games. Guess it's time to delve into those accounts again. The other thing that has crossed my mind on this was whether there was some unpublicized pro soccer commitment similar to what happened in Hamilton with the PanAm games linked into public money obtained for the stadium revamp given the 2015 Women's World Cup was played there.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The issues we are seeing at the moment in Winnipeg on actual crowds were also apparent in the fall season of 2019 so I am not judging based on 2021 alone. Halifax still seem to be able to draw 6000 with much the same issues and a similarly underforming team so I'm not sold on the COVID angle making a massive difference elsewhere in CanPL now that most people are doubly vaccinated. Different story a couple of months back.

Yes.  Again, this is a league wide issue. When the weather turns poor, teams that are out of it see a drop in attendance.  Hell, that's true of all sports.  So, I wouldn't localize it to Winnipeg. 

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The issues we are seeing at the moment in Winnipeg on actual crowds were also apparent in the fall season of 2019 so I am not judging based on 2021 alone.

Anyone wondering about poor attendance in late 2019 in Winnipeg need only look at the performances of that woeful team. 

Assuming COVID is no longer impacting public life in a major way by then, 2022 will be the first season that attendances can be evaluated under "normal" conditions.