Olympics: Canada vs Brazil - Friday, July 30th - Rifu (Sendai area), Japan - 4am Eastern / 1am Pacific

Being in 3 Olympic semis shows the team has achieved the resiliency & pragmatism levels seen in the top men's teams. Probably not an big advantage vs the US but should be vs a potential Aussie match up.

Other than for hockey & curling, Canada is dismal in international team sports. Only exception is our women's football team who have qualified for 4 Olympics and won 2 medals.

Our summer Olympic teams rarely qualify and never get out of the group stage when qualified. When they achieve some success like the women 7s team, they can't maintain it (though, in hindsight, they were in a vicious group).

So, relative to other Canadian sport orgs, CSA deserves some kudos.

On 7/31/2021 at 11:04 AM, _Vic_ said:

Pretty much disagree with all that, basically because it say's everyone is sh*t.

We are the ONLY country on the entire face of the earth to make the semi-final's in the past three Olympics.

That wasn't my point - if anything I think our players can be better than what they've shown so far

It was probably an overly harsh post considering as you say they've made the Olympic semis again. Which means they're obviously doing something right.

That said if they want to medal, they have to be much much better against the States

I am actually glad that John Herdman isn't here to trash talk the opponent, because he can't even back up his trash talk.

If he was here, he would be all like "the semis is gonna be a rematch of the 2012 Olympics and we'll show them", etc.  Last time we marketed a USA match as a rematch (in some friendly game), we made a fool of ourselves.  Yeah I am heartbroken because of the 2012 game too, but it's not like Sinclair would score another hat trick this time to beat the USA.  I am quite nervous to watch the semis.  I hope I'm wrong.  I really do, but I can see us playing for bronze more than for gold.

Of course anything can happen but I don't like getting my hopes up.

Edit after watching the semis: I am wrong and very happy to be wrong.

Edited by Sinc_Tanc_Olympic_Action