Olympics: Canada vs Brazil - Friday, July 30th - Rifu (Sendai area), Japan - 4am Eastern / 1am Pacific

Canada vs Brazil
Friday, July 30 2021
4am Eastern / 1am Pacific

Broadcast (TV):
CBC Main channel (EN)
RDS (FR)

Broadcast (online):
(EN) https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1920769603920
(FR) https://ici.radio-canada.ca/jeux-olympiques/videos/epreuve/episodes/546189/soccer-quarts-finale-feminin

---

Going into this match, no injuries or suspensions as far as I know (on both sides):
https://canadasoccer.com/news/canada-to-face-familiar-foe-brazil-in-the-quarter-finals-of-tokyo-2020-olympic-games/
https://www.cbf.com.br/selecao-brasileira/noticias/selecao-feminina/brasil-enfrenta-o-canada-por-vaga-nas-semifinais-de-toquio-2020

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Not gonna lie but Sinclair did look like she was gonna miss as she didn't look ready.

The other girls surprised me.  I was too nervous having a bunch of youngsters take the pk's but the youngsters did well in the shootout.  I had been screaming for the coach to put a veteran like Schmidt on for a shootout.  But nope we did fine with Labbe.

35 minutes ago, DavemTFC said:

This CB partnership isn't working. Too many close penalty calls

I agree there were some close ones, but I thought Gilles had a great game. She didn't get burned liked Zadorsky did in earlier games and created the best chance in the second half. Her penalty kick was surprisingly good.

Lots to work on and I don't see us beating the US or Netherlands but making the semis for the third olympics in a row is an amazing achievement

It didn't matter in the end but what was the point of Huitema subbing in as a winger (for another sub no less!) if she didn't even take a penalty?

Not crazy about Nigel but Clare rules. Nothing pathetic about her

Thank god this is the week I was off work

2 hours ago, sloth8 said:

I agree there were some close ones, but I thought Gilles had a great game. She didn't get burned liked Zadorsky did in earlier games and created the best chance in the second half. Her penalty kick was surprisingly good.

Gilles is a fearless beast. Nearly scored too and netted a lovely PK. Nice to have her in the fold.

Edited by Mango

We had moments, periods, where we dominated in the middle and on the ball, but up high we were weak, like all tournament. I still feel we need a real renewal in coaching, with a committment to more quality possession and tactics. There were moments second half we had 2 attackers and two mids all up high, with the ball, bunched at the top of the box. And no wing outlet. Poor positional work.

Sinclair looked to be going through the motions as the game progressed, she's lost pace.

Many players showed to be very fit and tough, playing 120 minutes is not easy and this game was physical and demanding. Labbé, admirable match for her.

Celebrated the Labbé stop and was thrilled, was a great finish to a bit of a rough game. Marta, very classy, came over to congratulate the Canadians on her own. 

If this is what Sinclair is now, Canada will struggle to create with 2 non-factors offensively playing in the front six (Scott as well, obviously). 

And does she have some kind of mental block with penalties? Deferring to Beckie several times, then putting in such a poor effort in penalty kicks

Canada has to hope for a similar storyline vs the US or just get ready to play for the bronze vs Australia.

Keeper, backline & defensive mids are fine. But Canada is playing with multiple handicaps up front. 

Playing Sinclair means hoping for 1 or 2 moments while basically being a non-factor the rest of the time. Fleming is asked to play a 10 role but plays it like a 8. Add in Quinn as a 8 and Scott as a 6, it means nothing much created up the middle. Wingers & fullbacks are left to do all the creating but for many of them, their body is faster than their brain.

Playing Grosso or Lawrence in the mid can help considering the fullback position is deep. No obvious replacement option for striker but Sinclair needs to play less. 

37 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

always been a fan of Leon, she was buzzing in ET and slotted her penal.
Gilles had that look that she wasn't sure of herself, then cranked it, that was awesome.

I'm a long time fan of Leon as well.  Impact player who doesn't seem to try and be too clever as Beckie sometimes seems to (re penalties).  Gilles did the right thing, took a deep breath, didn't try to be too clever and nailed it.  You're not going to stop one of those unless it hits you directly.

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Sinclair looked to be going through the motions as the game progressed, she's lost pace.

I remember writing after a game during the WC two years ago that despite getting a goal and hitting some posts I posited that her play wasn't just declining but that she had "fallen off a cliff", it seemed so sudden.

I was worried she wouldn't get the goal scoring record.  Thankfully she seemed to rebound some but I have to say it was distressing to see her so upset after the game today.  After her carrying the team for over a decade it was good to see someone else finally stand up and carry her for a change.  I've heard she would still play until she couldn't but with many of her cronies gone I wonder if this is her swan song.  If they can beat the US I bet it will be.

4 hours ago, red card said:

Playing Sinclair means hoping for 1 or 2 moments while basically being a non-factor the rest of the time. 

I agree but you said it better than me.  I don't think Sinclair should start anymore, not against the US, not against anyone.  She just can't make those runs anymore.  I personally think we could do more if Sinclair is on the bench against the US in the next game and start a young player who can do more playmaking.  Of course I know not every Canadian would agree.

Despite my user name, I do not think we should live in the past.  We will always remember Sinclair's hat trick against the US in 2012 and have fond memories of how she used to play (hence I am keeping my user name), but she isn't the same player anymore.

FWIW I thought Sinc was comfortably our best player against Japan. She just doesn't have the legs to be that good as an everyday starter any more. She's played for two decades, so it shouldn't be a surprise. There's still a place for her on a good team, but her minutes have to be managed

One of our biggest problems imho is our lack of actual width from our "wingers". Prince is a centre forward playing out wide, Beckie is slow and tends to want to tuck in, Leon is way less effective as a starter, Rose isn't as good a player as any of the above options.

But this is really more a symptom of a larger problem. We don't seem to have any real coordinated and practiced attacking patterns, so the players tend to lose inspiration once a move fizzles out. At best, they'll generally move towards the centre of the pitch, and at worst they'll just be static. Either way it makes us entirely predictable.

It doesn't help that most of our players have regressed, and not all of them due to age. Fleming in particular has had a bad tournament (I'd say all our England-based players have actually, which I find weird considering it's now clearly one of the world's top leagues) and is another big reason we lack creativity. And I'm not sure I'm comfortable with Lawrence moving to the midfield, since Jayde Riviere is another player who I think has regressed (she had a shocker against GB)

Zadorsky kinda deserved to be dropped after her poor form but I think Buchanan and Gilles are too similar in style to play together. I'd put Shelina back in against the States and probably drop Gilles, even though Keisha hasn't been very good either

It's difficult to see us beating the US, but we should be good enough to squeak by Australia for a third straight bronze (Sweden would be tougher). That would be a phenomenal achievement because the truth is I think these olympics will be our last run for a very long time. We just don't have enough talent being developed and nurtured to keep up with the rest of the world, Europe especially. Once Sinclair retires I think we'll be in for a rude awakening