World Cup Qualifying Tickets - BMO and BC Place

Free kick

1 hour ago, RS said:

As good as Terry Jones' contacts are in Edmonton, he manages to get everything else in that article wrong.

Regardless, I believe him when he writes that the games are expected to be played at Commonwealth. I'm looking forward to a rousing homecoming for Phonzie.

What did Jones get wrong?

That would be great for Edmonton and Alberta (and it's a reasonable drive from Saskatoon)!

43 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Maybe throwing Edmonton a CMNT bone might buck up some support for the Eddies??  Get a little soccer good will going there??  

I would say foremost that it is a show of support for being a 2026 bid city. 

But playing on so so turf is something Costa Ricans are more used to. Weather could be a benefit or a curse. Icy/snowy turf is more conducive to a draw while Canada needs a win especially against Costa Rica.

Mexico is playing in Cincy before Canada, so travel isn't an issue for them. Costa Rica has long flight back home to play Honduras.

Please please please come to Edmonton. There will most definitely be a large contingent of fans coming regardless of weather. 

Now that Sportsnet has the games, there’s lots of time to build more exposure to the casual fans. Soccer Canada needs to be marketing the hell out of this qualifying tournament, tv ads, billboards, social media etc. We’re all too tired of politics and Covid so this is a perfect opportunity and distraction. 

17 minutes ago, Rivaldo said:

What did Jones get wrong?

He calls BMO Field "BMO Stadium" in the first reference, Canada Soccer is written as "Soccer Canada," and he got the locations of Canada's final two October games against Jamaica and Panama wrong (he wrote that the Jamaica game is at BMO and Panama is away, while it's actually the reverse).

Those are just a few things I noticed right away. They are small errors, and it's really not that big a deal in the grand scheme.

9 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

How do you get the codes to unlock some of these tickets in order to purchase, anyone know ?

Those tickets are not related to the Voyageurs so can’t help you.  They may be related to other soccer associations around the GTA but just guessing.  
If people want to go on Wednesday, I highly recommend you buy whatever is available.  My guess is that it will sell out by tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Do you think Phonsy had any influence over a match in Edmonton? You have have to think the story line behind that has a lot of power and selling points, media-wise or even as a team rallying point. A Davies "Homecoming" would be very cool to see

I think it is more a case of supporting Edmonton as a WC '26 host city (as has been mentioned), and the added benefit of unsettling our opponents with the frigid conditions. I like that element of gamesmanship. 

That said, I am shivering already thinking about how cold it will be in the stands. Won't be comfortable for our boys either. ❄️

50 minutes ago, EDM Rover said:

I think it is more a case of supporting Edmonton as a WC '26 host city (as has been mentioned), and the added benefit of unsettling our opponents with the frigid conditions. I like that element of gamesmanship. 

That said, I am shivering already thinking about how cold it will be in the stands. Won't be comfortable for our boys either. ❄️

Agree, I do like the gamesmanship aspect as well. Would be a nice touch if the heaters in the Costa Rican/Mexican dressing room conveniently stopped working

Nov 12 & 16 in Edmonton: 

While it’s likely to be very cold for our boys, I actually love this! We’re Canadian - we have some familiarity with extremely cold weather. Many of the opponent players will have ABSOLUTELY NO experience with this. Let em freeze their nuts off! Welcome to northern Alberta! The Mexican team hits its opponents with altitude, and the Central Americans milk every tiny advantage they can get (fair and unfair). ‘Bout time Canada returns the volley!

i have a son who played football at the University of Alberta. A couple years back they played Calgary on consecutive Saturdays (last game of the regular season, late October, followed by an early November play-off rematch). The first Saturday game was 10 Celsius. The next Saturday it dropped to minus 20! ... tell them to bring their gloves & parkas, deliver us the three points, then piss-off and go home! 

Edited by Wayverider
Spell check

16 minutes ago, xcalibre said:

surely January can't be anywhere else? The pipes would freeze if they turned the water on at pretty much any other outdoor stadium except Langford (too small) and BC Place

BMO’s winterized now due to hosting NHL in January, and has literally hosted soccer games in every other month of the year. 

That being said, I still think January will be at BC Place. 

2 minutes ago, RS said:

BMO’s winterized now due to hosting NHL in January, and has literally hosted soccer games in every other month of the year. 

That being said, I still think January will be at BC Place. 

November in Edmonton and January in Vancouver.....making serious hay out of the 'Alphonso Davies comes home' angle to get some big home crowds in games where we need to get results. Ticks all the boxed, really. Helps the team by pulling large, partisan crowds and helps the CSA by putting some bucks in the bank.

7 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

f*ck i really hope they split november between commonwealth and bc place. it'll be pretty disappointing to only get the january game out here.

I live in Vancouver. I wish that all the games would be here but I hope that they keep both November games in Edmonton. No travel for our guys (I know it's only a 90 minute flight plus only a 1 hour time zone difference) but you completely freeze the opponents. Unfortunately, It looks like that we will get only the January game and maybe the March one.

1 minute ago, Christian B. said:

I live in Vancouver. I wish that all the games would be here but I hope that they keep both November games in Edmonton. No travel for our guys (I know it's only a 90 minute flight plus only a 1 hour time zone difference) but you completely freeze the opponents. Unfortunately, It looks like that we will get only the January game and maybe the March one.

you also freeze our guys 😅

• Admin unpinned this topic
  • Admin locked this topic