Jump to content

Gareth Wheeler


Gareth Wheeler  

126 members have voted

  1. 1. Should Gareth Wheeler be doing the play-by-play for Canada games

    • Yes
      60
    • No
      67


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, gator said:

There is definitely a following of this forum and it posters by at least one OneSoccer member, I know this first hand!

Honestly, that is one of the reasons I have no desire to pile on excessive e criticism or fire off insults targeting  those who ultimately want the same thing we do.  Legit criticisms of Wheeler (or Herdman, or whoever) are fair game, but at the end of the day we are supposed to be Canadian footy supporters.  I think we undermine that role if we are throwing around  personal insults.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, red card said:

For a match like yesterday, Wheeler maybe realized you don't need to be the show since the crowd and the action on the pitch took care of it.

I feel like he has mentioned that without a crowd he feels like he needs to fill more of the space. Can't remember where, probably on One Soccer Today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This whole Notion of wheeler and one soccer are one and this mentality of oh my god now we have a soccer channel in Canada we need to kiss their ass all time and be so thankful all time, it’s really sad(Stockholm syndrome) . Wheeler is one guy at a huge company. Media Pro saw opportunity in Canada and created one soccer. It was a good business idea. 
If they fired Wheeler tomorrow, one soccer would still be happening and the sky wouldn’t be falling.

regardless if you like him or not, we as paying fans need to keep him and one soccer honest and the high standard must be there always or we just look like a much of hosers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SpecialK said:

This whole Notion of wheeler and one soccer are one and this mentality of oh my god now we have a soccer channel in Canada we need to kiss their ass all time and be so thankful all time, it’s really sad(Stockholm syndrome) . Wheeler is one guy at a huge company. Media Pro saw opportunity in Canada and created one soccer. It was a good business idea. 
If they fired Wheeler tomorrow, one soccer would still be happening and the sky wouldn’t be falling.

regardless if you like him or not, we as paying fans need to keep him and one soccer honest and the high standard must be there always or we just look like a much of hosers. 

^^^ this, 100% this.

yes, we the diehard fan base of the national teams have been clamoring for more coverage of our teams, and we're now getting it. but we are paying customers who are allowed to expect a certain standard of quality and the company should be taking our concerns into account.

my biggest worry is that we have a company who knows we'll keep paying whatever they ask so why would they bother to improve anything. we'd all rather watch the games with highschool a/v club calibre production than not be able to watch the games at all, and they know that.

i have realized that the hatred towards wheeler is unjustified. he's been put in positions that he just isn't made for. he ISN'T a commentator or an analyst. he WOULD be a great team reporter and sideline reporter for games and player/coaches interviews.

at the end of the day, if i tune in on september 2nd and wheeler's mic volume is down and the stadium sound is up, then i'll know the company is listening. but if my eardrums are bleeding from having the commentary booming and the stadium sound so low i can't hear the ref's whistle, then i'll know that they're content to take our money which they know we will always keep paying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, nazzer said:

I remember watching vs Estonia on a shitty stream online, low quality and maybe the commentary was even Estonian.

Now I get to watch high quality, always accessible, pro Canada streams. Y'all gotta calm down with this complaining, Wheeler is fine. 

yah its great that 10k are watching a community cable production of the best team we ever had,btw ive had one for 6 mths i barely watch it,i watched fox for the gold cup.

Edited by reggietfc
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I said when we secured a spot in the next round that OneSoccer will benefit huge from this as interest grows, I stand by that, when EPL and Champions League went to DAZN many thought it would kill interest for the casual fan and it may have, I haven't subscribed, I think OneSoccer subscriptions will mirror the success of our team in the next round!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

I have a feeling that some WCQ games (Canada) will be on one of the major networks.

They’d have to buy the rights off OneSoccer then no? I can see them paying if we have early success.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, BigMo said:

They’d have to buy the rights off OneSoccer then no? I can see them paying if we have early success.

There is a precedent I think the November 2019 match against the US when we embarrassed ourselves got onto TV.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I mean just on their voices I don't know how OneSoccer listened to Wheeler and Dunfield speak and were like omg we found our guys.

Wheeler when he gets loud is so abrasive and Dunfield is so nasally and can't pronounce any names correctly. 

Plus I've never heard anything positive about Dunfield speaking to soccer people in Ontario.

Edited by VinceA
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, narduch said:

 

thanks for posting that.

great comments from richie. my spanish last name has been pronounced about 10 different ways over the years, and i've never corrected people on it. if people ask we give them a simple 'englishy' pronounciation, and if people ask how it's really supposed to be pronounced i'll roll the R's and give them the spanish way.

so i can relate to what richie is saying, and that's a class response from him.

i also don't blame wheels for trying to pronounce it the Ghanaian way, he was right for doing that, but now he should just straight up ask richie which one he wants on air.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, gigi riva said:

How about Gareth Wheeler and Ray Hudson . that would be interesting

Look at the replies also. Hopefully, ESPN hires him for la Liga.

Edited by red card
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

thanks for posting that.

great comments from richie. my spanish last name has been pronounced about 10 different ways over the years, and i've never corrected people on it. if people ask we give them a simple 'englishy' pronounciation, and if people ask how it's really supposed to be pronounced i'll roll the R's and give them the spanish way.

so i can relate to what richie is saying, and that's a class response from him.

i also don't blame wheels for trying to pronounce it the Ghanaian way, he was right for doing that, but now he should just straight up ask richie which one he wants on air.

Fran-chiz-eh

Fra-shez-ey

Frank-ise

Frans-is-ea...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...