Olympics: Canada vs Team GB - Tuesday, July 27th - Kashima, Japan - 7am Eastern / 4am Pacific

Canada vs Team GB
Tuesday, July 27th 2021
7am Eastern / 4am Pacific

Broadcast (TV):
CBC (main channel - they may switch over to Gymnastics final or do the split screen at some point)
Not Radio-Canada in French (maybe RDS ?)

Broadcast (online):
https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1921582659824 (ENG)
https://ici.radio-canada.ca/jeux-olympiques/videos/epreuve/episodes/541078/soccer-qualifications-feminin-canada-grande-bretagne (FR)

Unlike the previous two matches played in the Sapporo Dome, this match is scheduled to be played in Kashima (about 100km from Tokyo) and on the coast.
Typhoon Nepartak is on its way:
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2021/07/8ad8cfe17593-typhoon-nepartak-could-make-landfall-on-japans-main-island-tuesday.html

So who knows if they game will go ahead as scheduled? If it isn't delayed, obviously rain and wind are on the menu.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Sinclair not even on the bench. Probably a good idea to manage her minutes. 

In a tournament with only 8 teams in the knock out stage all games moving forward will be tough. 

It would be nice to finish 1st and avoid US side of the bracket 

I was worried about the lack of Sinclair. I didn't think we have clinched a spot in the next round yet so didn't think she would be rested (and not even on the bench). Looks like for Canada to not go through China needs to beat Netherlands, or Zambia beat Brazil for canada to possibly be eliminated. They would also have to make up the goal difference, with Canada currently at +1, China at -5, and Zambia at -7. So We essentially are assured a next round spot.

14 minutes ago, Kent said:

I was worried about the lack of Sinclair. I didn't think we have clinched a spot in the next round yet so didn't think she would be rested (and not even on the bench). Looks like for Canada to not go through China needs to beat Netherlands, or Zambia beat Brazil for canada to possibly be eliminated. They would also have to make up the goal difference, with Canada currently at +1, China at -5, and Zambia at -7. So We essentially are assured a next round spot.

Brazil and Netherlands are both winning 1-0 right now. That would leave their 3rd place team on 1 point

On 7/5/2021 at 9:20 AM, _Vic_ said:

Chile isn't there by accident. As Germany just found out they can play tight defense and have the best goalkeeper in the world. Unless we start scoring using even all 18 might be difficult.

Looks like we decided to play the alternates today (when we had already gone through) instead of last match.

Not surprised to see all players get some minutes.

So I came on here because I had a feeling that you guys would pretty much say the same thing as what I have in my head.  Sure enough, Canada sat after a one-goal lead.  Why was I not surprised to see us concede a late equalizer.

So I guess we'll be playing either Netherlands or Brazil next.  I'm hoping for Brazil but that's definitely not a sure win.

With how we're playing now, I am trying not to get my hopes up.  We'd be very fortunate to make it to the semis against possibly the US.

Edit to add that I was pleasantly surprised to see alternates like Schmidt playing!  I had to look up the rule change regarding alternates due to Covid.  But now I have a question: Does this mean that at this Olympic, there really isn't a difference between a sub and an alternate (other than a sub sounds better)?  I mean, both subs and alternates are allowed to play in matches where previously, alternates were only allowed to be added to a roster (and play) in case of a major injury or illness to another player.  I understand this rule change is due to Covid and isn't meant to be a precedent for future Olympics.  Let me know if I am missing something because I am not an expert in soccer.   Just wondering whether this rule change means that for this Olympic, there really isn't any difference between a sub and an alternate?

Edited by Sinc_Tanc_Olympic_Action

The subs are the 7 players you can put on during a given game, the alternates are the remaining players (so not starters or subs) who can't be put on during a given game but can replace a starter or sub for (a) later game(s)

I'm not too fussed about sitting back with our B team. It's a long tournament and we would have had a tricky few games anyway.

We got one of the most beatable possible opponents in Brazil in the quarters and though that's followed by a game against one of the two best teams in the world, they'll hopefully be tired by their QF game by the time we reach the semis

I'm more concerned about the soft goals we've given up in all three of our games (this game had a crazy deflected shot, sure, but you could feel an equalizer coming)