Jump to content

GC: Canada vs Mexico - Thursday, July 29th, 10pm Eastern / 7pm Pacific - Houston TX


Recommended Posts

Thinking about the 2000 GC and watching Hastings score the winner reminded me that that semifinal against Mexico became the final because the guest team won the other semi. I know it's not likely, but this game could be the defacto final if Qatar manages to beat USA. 

Just interesting trivia rather than a prediction. LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope I don't jinx this but perhaps we have created this idea of Doneil Henry in our head.  I do admit, his tackles can make me a bit nervous.  Doneil Henry has a total of 2 red cards in his club career.  I am not going to go through every Canadian defender but I will compare his statistics vs Vitoria.

Doneil Henry in 14,661 minutes has amounted 35 yellow cards, 1 red card on 2 yellows in a game & only 1 direct red card.

Steven Vitoria in 22,653 minutes has amounted 86 yellow cards, 3 red cards on 2 yellows & 3 direct red cards.

Henry - 1 YC every 418.9 minutes - 1 RC every 7,330.5 minutes.

Vitoria - 1 YC every 263.4 minutes - 1 RC every 3,775.5 minutes.

As for Canada

Henry in 2,784 minutes has 6 yellow cards and 1 red card on 2 yellows in a game.

Vitoria in 1,818 minutes has 7 yellow cards

 

I would bet that the extent of the cards received through a rash challenge would be far greater for Henry but it is interesting that we paint such a picture of a player based on a professional career that has totaled only 3 career red cards for club and country and only 1 straight red.  I am not here making an argument for Doneil to be our starter.  I love Vitoria as our guy but I think we paint Doneil out to be a butcher more than he actually is.  My "eye test" is always nervous for cards with Henry (possibly because we all create this persona that he's going to get carded) but statistics suggest otherwise.  Just some added insight to this discussion.

However, in writing this, I am now incredibly nervous that he will be carded tonight.  These will be better players than he has played against for most of his career.

 

I'm going to go ahead and apologize on this post and pretend like I am from the future.

Edited by Corazon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ted said:

Thinking about the 2000 GC and watching Hastings score the winner reminded me that that semifinal against Mexico became the final because the guest team won the other semi. I know it's not likely, but this game could be the defacto final if Qatar manages to beat USA. 

Just interesting trivia rather than a prediction. LOL

The game against Mexico was the QF in that tourney. We beat T&T in the semi while Colombia beat Peru in the other semi

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ted said:

Thinking about the 2000 GC and watching Hastings score the winner reminded me that that semifinal against Mexico became the final because the guest team won the other semi. I know it's not likely, but this game could be the defacto final if Qatar manages to beat USA. 

Just interesting trivia rather than a prediction. LOL

That was just for the Confederations Cup purposes wasn't it?  Its not like we get the trophy if we lose to Qatar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, ESG Shawn said:

Kurt Larson reporting that the match is sold out tonight. 80,000 fans.

This is going to be a hell of an experience for our young lads. I can't wait. 

I hope they make the most of it.  Playing with 80000 fans, whom I am assuming will be predominantly leaning mexicos way will be a huge lesson for a lot of our guys.  Look at how much Osorio grew after playing all those INT games with TFC. 

I cant believe there are guys still saying there is nothing to learn here at GC.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

The guy in the bottom left corner looks like the Raptors assistant coach.

I have lurked in in the past to similar broadcasts from mexico during times like this or during the CCL.     What that reaveals to me is how important this sport or the events related this sport are to the mexicans.   That kind coverage with panels and debates etc is something we are not close to having in canada.   In canada we are maybe half a century behind the mexicans when it comes this thuis stuff.    Its not part of the canadian daily discourse like it is in mexico.   In the long term and bigger picture,  this translates why  we are not ready to compete against Mexico.   And its why i dont necessary regard them as our rivals.  They are on their own in CONCACAF as far as i am concerned.  The rest us are left to compete for the other spots.

Edited by Free kick
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I hope I don't jinx this but perhaps we have created this idea of Doneil Henry in our head.  I do admit, his tackles can make me a bit nervous.  Doneil Henry has a total of 2 red cards in his club career.  I am not going to go through every Canadian defender but I will compare his statistics vs Vitoria.

Its not just the red cards.  He has given up a couple silly penalties (that weird hand ball where his arm was over his head) and at least one very strange own goal (the failed headed clearance).  These stick in peoples heads and more so for Henry becuase he was in MLS for much of his carer and we got to see it all.  Its hard to find, but a comparison of how many penalties he has given up compared to say Vittoria, might show a different picture, but then again, it might be all in the CDN fans head.  That being said, I have always been a big Henry booster, one of the first TFC homegrowns to break through, and I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt most of the time.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SpursFlu said:

As a Canadian im use to seeing grown men wearing super hero t-shirts and maybe a picture of a unicorn on the wall. These guys look serious 

The only thing missing was the mother yelling down into the basement asking her son to get the garbage out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Corazon RE: Doneil

Cards are inevitable. One of the greatest CBS has 26 red cards.

But cards don’t tell the entire picture. It’s his sometimes rashness of leaving the feet or over committing that leaves holes that lead to chances or goals. 

Whereas Vitoria is more susceptible to be dribbled past, but his decision making is a lot better than Doneils. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Its not just the red cards.  He has given up a couple silly penalties (that weird hand ball where his arm was over his head) and at least one very strange own goal (the failed headed clearance).  These stick in peoples heads and more so for Henry becuase he was in MLS for much of his carer and we got to see it all.  Its hard to find, but a comparison of how many penalties he has given up compared to say Vittoria, might show a different picture, but then again, it might be all in the CDN fans head.  That being said, I have always been a big Henry booster, one of the first TFC homegrowns to break through, and I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt most of the time.  

Early in this MLS season I watched Miller giveaway a penalty against the Caps with a needless, rash challenge.  That's in my head a bit, regardless of my positive feeling about him and his recent form.  We need "old head" defending to go with the younger athleticism tonight.  It has the potential to be flop fest in and around our p.a.  Hopefully the Jamaican ref delivers the goods.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Shway said:

@Corazon RE: Doneil

Cards are inevitable. One of the greatest CBS has 26 red cards.

But cards don’t tell the entire picture. It’s his sometimes rashness of leaving the feet or over committing that leaves holes that lead to chances or goals. 

Whereas Vitoria is more susceptible to be dribbled past, but his decision making is a lot better than Doneils. 

I agree, like i said, my "eye test" from watching him play for many years does tell me a bit of a different story than what his historical statistics do.  He sometimes appears to be reckless but I thought it was still an interesting statistic.  Only 1 Straight red card in a career for a CB is hard to come by.  In fact, I would bet that the majority of our players have equal to or more red cards in their careers.

As for the CB with 26 red cards.  He also happens to be my favourite player of all time. 👍

Edited by Corazon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I agree, like i said, my "eye test" from watching him play for so long tells me what the cards don't.  That he can be reckless but I thought it was still an interesting perspective.  Only 1 Straight red card in a career for a CB is hard to come by.

As for the CB with 26 red cards.  He also happens to be my favourite player of all time. 👍

Admittedly, for me a lot of my Henry apprehension comes from watching him with TFC. It seemed like every other game he would make a reckless slide tackle in the box in the 85', often resulting in a PK. Honestly, I'm happy to recant if data shows I was being unreasonably harsh on him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, maplebanana said:

Admittedly, for me a lot of my Henry apprehension comes from watching him with TFC. It seemed like every other game he would make a reckless slide tackle in the box in the 85', often resulting in a PK. Honestly, I'm happy to recant if data shows I was being unreasonably harsh on him. 

I would bet this is true as well but we're also talking about a Doneil Henry aged 17 through 21.  Quite young for a CB to be playing regular minutes.  Although I believe we are seeing more top CB's emerge at a young age, we also know that historically quality center backs develop in their mid to late 20s.  I also think his decision making has improved significantly since playing with Toronto as a teenager.  

Edited by Corazon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...