Jump to content

GC: Canada vs Mexico - Thursday, July 29th, 10pm Eastern / 7pm Pacific - Houston TX


Recommended Posts

I listened to Herc Gomez on the ESPN website talking about the chant delay and I was left wondering how many of the Mexican supporters in the Arlington stadium were American citizens (or what not: landed or undocumented immigrants, former anchor babies)?  I didn't think the border wasn't officially open until later in August because of the Covid surge down in the southern American states so that crowd would be all-American (in some form or another), wouldn't it?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

What about Hugo Sanchez, Rafa Marquez, Claudio Saurez.

Are you suggesting the three I named aren't first choice in their respective positions?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I posted this in the coaching staff thread, but thought I'd post it here as well for anyone that hasn't seen it (apologies if it was posted somewhere, this thread is moving quickly for a match in a tournament we don't actually care about). For anyone wondering what the scuffle after the second Mexico goal was all about.

https://streamable.com/e787zp

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, El Diego said:

I posted this in the coaching staff thread, but thought I'd post it here as well for anyone that hasn't seen it (apologies if it was posted somewhere, this thread is moving quickly for a match in a tournament we don't actually care about). For anyone wondering what the scuffle after the second Mexico goal was all about.

https://streamable.com/e787zp

That's insane that that wasn't card worthy for the Mexicans.

Fucking batshit insane.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know if this has been lost in the shuffle of this being the Gold Cup tournament and later WCQ for Concacaf, but folks, we just went to war with the 11th/13th (FIFA/ELO) best team in the world.

One of the broadcasters last night mentioned it (Mexico's ranking) in passing and it resonated with me.  I just looked, Canada is now ranked 39 by ELO (FIFA 70), I could be wrong but is that the highest rating we have had?  I think we were FIFA 40 once IIRC or am I wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I don't know if this has been lost in the shuffle of this being the Gold Cup tournament and later WCQ for Concacaf, but folks, we just went to war with the 11th/13th (FIFA/ELO) best team in the world.

One of the broadcasters last night mentioned it (Mexico's ranking) in passing and it resonated with me.  I just looked, Canada is now ranked 39 by ELO (FIFA 70), I could be wrong but is that the highest rating we have had?  I think we were FIFA 40 once IIRC or am I wrong.

We were actually #35 on the ELO but dropped 4 spots with last night’s loss.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have some unlikely support in the American sports talk mediasphere:  on his show, SiriusXM Sportsgrid's Gabe Morency was just giving it to the Mexican players and supporters for their lack of class and even offered to pay the fine for one of our guys if they clocked a Mexican player or two.  It was fun listening!

Edited by BearcatSA
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Even on North DakotaMinnesota sports talk radio there was a bunch of soccer talk today.  Olympics first, USA gold cup next, then "that crazy ending with mexico and canada".  Dislike of the mexican team makes strange bed fellows.  

The US has every reason to pile on the Mexicans after all the water bottle throwing at US players from the Mexican fans at the Nation’s League final.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

HAHA....when the mexican tried to get a run at Tajon, Henry and Miller stood in front and all of a sudden he wasnt so interested.  

LOL.  

He's with me!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, El Diego said:

I posted this in the coaching staff thread, but thought I'd post it here as well for anyone that hasn't seen it (apologies if it was posted somewhere, this thread is moving quickly for a match in a tournament we don't actually care about). For anyone wondering what the scuffle after the second Mexico goal was all about.

https://streamable.com/e787zp

It is pretty hilarious that the Mexican player can literally throw the ball off the pitch to delay the restart and eat the clock and yet avoids any sanction.

Pretty much says everything you need to know.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

It is pretty hilarious that the Mexican player can literally throw the ball off the pitch to delay the restart and eat the clock and yet avoids any sanction.

Pretty much says everything you need to know.   

Unfortunately these are some of the reasons why the GC is not taken seriously by some.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

It is pretty hilarious that the Mexican player can literally throw the ball off the pitch to delay the restart and eat the clock and yet avoids any sanction.

Pretty much says everything you need to know.   

Like I've seen things in decades of watching soccer but I've never seen a man pick up a ball at the centre spot and chuck it off the field...

With the referee standing right there!

I'm still in shock. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I listened to Herc Gomez on the ESPN website talking about the chant delay and I was left wondering how many of the Mexican supporters in the Arlington stadium were American citizens (or what not: landed or undocumented immigrants, former anchor babies)?  I didn't think the border wasn't officially open until later in August because of the Covid surge down in the southern American states so that crowd would be all-American (in some form or another), wouldn't it?

 

Never heard what he had to say, but maybe some undocumented immigrants got thru the border illegally? Just a thought.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

If that actually turned into an '87 WJC Soviet-Canada style brawl... We woulda won!

One of the many famous incidents during the most dramatic game in Canadian sports history (Game 8 of the 72 Summit Series) was Eagleson and trainer Frosty Forrestal (in his all red Canada tracksuit) walking across the ice and flipping the bird at the Russian crowd.  Now that would have been great here!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If anyone wants to explain how the Gold Cup was useful for our WC qualifying campaign I'd be happy to be a foil. 

I don't deny I learnt a few things. I've already mentioned a few. I also had fun watching, but I enjoyed watching Kennedy playing in Austrian 2nd tier, I'm pretty easy to please. 

But it'll be fascinating to hear your arguments.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, jonovision said:

@El Diego's post above brings this to mind for me:

We've had enough Wheeler talk (and I thought yesterday was one of his more credible and restrained outings) but one of my favourite moments last night, no snark, was a sequence when Canada was bossing things and Kamal Miller made a little deke going forward and he goes "Oh behave!"

Kamal Miller really grew on me as well this tourny. His entire story is pretty awesome, really easy to like this young man, really cheering for the lad.

As for Wheeler and comment highlights. 

Crepeau makes the PK save....

Wheeler:"He read him like a CHILDREN'S BOOK!!!" 

My wife : " what does that even mean? but what a save." 

aaaahhh classic Wheeler.

At this point I've accepted it, just glad he has Dunfield to keep him in check, could you imagine Wheeler doing a solo broadcast haha. 

Edited by apbsmith
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...