Jump to content

GC: Canada vs Mexico - Thursday, July 29th, 10pm Eastern / 7pm Pacific - Houston TX


Recommended Posts

Far from our A team to start and seriously depleted through the tourney but we went toe to toe with Mexico and lost by a slim margin. Weren't able to clear the hurdle this time but our trajectory is vertical. Everyone put in a good shift. Really feeling our oats now. Not enough to say we're on Mexico's level, it's a sample size of one, and there are too many personnel variables but can it really be argued we aren't in their tier? We're only going to improve. Happiest loss for any team I support in any sport for a while. So many bright spots! Roll on WCQ, we are going to frighten the smaller teams and make the bigger teams anxious. The quality, cohesion, and grit of this team is undeniable.

Edited by Lansdude
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You know what the best thing about this tournament is.  We learned nothing. Nothing about ourselves. Nothing about our opponents. It went no where to building team chemistry. No where to building belief in ourselves for the Oct.  No where to getting the fans behind team. Such a shame.  We should have sent a group of CPLers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, An Observer said:

You know what the best thing about this tournament is.  We learned nothing. Nothing about ourselves. Nothing about our opponents. It went no where to building team chemistry. No where to building belief in ourselves for the Oct.  No where to getting the fans behind team. Such a shame.  We should have sent a group of CPLers. 

You’ve lived up to your name.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very proud of the effort that the boys put in last night, and it gives me hope for the home game against them in WCQ. 
 

But, and I don’t want to sound negative after that performance, we need to stop playing for a draw/extra time. Great teams push for a winner, not sit back, and absorb for the last 10-15 minutes of a match. We need to get rid of this mentality. We clearly showed we could boss them around a bit in the 2nd half. 
 

Yes I know the stoppage killed a bit of momentum, but we were stalling, and walking to our throw ins, and wasting time like we were playing for extras. WE NEED TO START THINKING LIKE THE BIG BOYS, CAUSE WE ARE RIGHT THERE WITH THEM. 

 

🇨🇦 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TOCanada115 said:

Very proud of the effort that the boys put in last night, and it gives me hope for the home game against them in WCQ. 
 

But, and I don’t want to sound negative after that performance, we need to stop playing for a draw/extra time. Great teams push for a winner, not sit back, and absorb for the last 10-15 minutes of a match. We need to get rid of this mentality. We clearly showed we could boss them around a bit in the 2nd half. 
 

Yes I know the stoppage killed a bit of momentum, but we were stalling, and walking to our throw ins, and wasting time like we were playing for extras. WE NEED TO START THINKING LIKE THE BIG BOYS, CAUSE WE ARE RIGHT THERE WITH THEM. 

 

🇨🇦

Personally, I think we were gassed.  I know most people here think it was Mexico that was gassed but I think our high pressure the whole second half was taking its toll on us.  And we only made two subs (as we likely didn’t really have the players to do more and keep the similar quality). In Qualifying, we likely would have used all 5 and we could have continued pressing them.  I do think the break gave Mexico the chance to calm down and regroup and in that sense, maybe favoured them.  When the break happened, I thought this is good for us as it gives us a breather to get our longs back for the last 10 minutes or so.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, An Observer said:

You know what the best thing about this tournament is.  We learned nothing. Nothing about ourselves. Nothing about our opponents. It went no where to building team chemistry. No where to building belief in ourselves for the Oct.  No where to getting the fans behind team. Such a shame.  We should have sent a group of CPLers. 

And, you know, the match thread is 38 pages and counting….

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TOCanada115 said:

Very proud of the effort that the boys put in last night, and it gives me hope for the home game against them in WCQ. 
 

But, and I don’t want to sound negative after that performance, we need to stop playing for a draw/extra time. Great teams push for a winner, not sit back, and absorb for the last 10-15 minutes of a match. We need to get rid of this mentality. We clearly showed we could boss them around a bit in the 2nd half. 
 

Yes I know the stoppage killed a bit of momentum, but we were stalling, and walking to our throw ins, and wasting time like we were playing for extras. WE NEED TO START THINKING LIKE THE BIG BOYS, CAUSE WE ARE RIGHT THERE WITH THEM. 

 

🇨🇦

I didn’t take the “clock management” tactics as playing for penalties and extra time.  I took it as us managing the pace of the game and getting in Mexico’s head in the mental game.  And it was working.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, rydermike said:

Apparently Tajon Buchanan had to turn off his social media comments because of racial abuse from Mexican fans. Despicable. Concacaf needs to do something. This stop the game for 5 minutes and give everyone a break is not a punishment

It's honestly disgusting. 

Celebrated for choke holding Kaye and getting away with it, racial slurs towards Buchanan pre game (what a boss with the ear plug celebration after his goal - love the Kid even more) and yelling homophobic slurs to both our players and their players on the pitch. 

.... Not sure how anyone choses Mexico over Canada when you have the option to play for either. 

Really want to take points of these guys come WCQ. 

Edited by apbsmith
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still think Corbeanu came on too late. He made a few really nice runs, but the rest of the team were exhausted and couldn't keep up. He had to slow down a few times. And obviously - like any forward, was very ineffective after the "crowd break" when we didn't touch the ball for 10 minutes. 

I can't take away from Akindele the nice set-up for Eustaquio, but he just created nothing else. While we didn't have a centre forward, the creativity from Tajon and Theo on both sides of the pitch would have been welcome a bit earlier. 

Regardless, the effort was amazing. I'm so proud of the boys. And without that crowd break... who knows. Mexico got their breath and never looked back after that. Gave them time to catch their breath and regain their composure. Plus, it's always hard to be pushing as hard as Canada was, take a 10 minute break, and restart with the same tempo. 

Mexico was missing some players for sure. But Canada is legit missing 3 of their best and 5 if you include Hutch/Arfield. Not to mention, any defense with Henry is not quite as good as it could be. 

Crepeau was MotM. But Miller was damn close.

Edited by Hawkguy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

It's honestly disgusting. 

Celebrated for choke holding Kaye and getting away with it,

Saw this….hate to say, but MAK should’ve went full Latino, and dropped on the floor holding his neck, and waving his hand.

VAR was a joke, as that should’ve been immediately been flagged. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Although Fox Soccer highlights leave out the Canada goal (!!) they let the video run quite a bit to get the post-game analysis from Edu & Lalas who are full of praise for our boys:

 

I normally think Lalas is way to simplistic on his analysis but he's correct here, although our rise as a nation should be obvious to anyone with a brain so he didn't say earth shattering stuff.

5 hours ago, frmr said:

You’ve lived up to your name.

It's satire bro, an impersonation of our resident Spaniard. 

1 hour ago, AvroArrow said:

Andi Petrillo already on CBC this morning for the Olympics.  How much sleep did she get?

Looked like she was about to fall asleep last night at the half and post game shows.

 

Anyhow, I agree with a lot of people on Eustaquio, he got caught in possession about three times and it was noticeable, one leading to the Henry penalty give away. I think Mexico was obviously concentrating on him with triple coverage. However, to Stephen's credit, like any world class player he adjusted accordingly realizing this and started making his decisions a lot quicker and his overall play and distribution in the second half improved immensely even if it became simpler as a result. 

Edited by Macksam
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rydermike said:

Apparently Tajon Buchanan had to turn off his social media comments because of racial abuse from Mexican fans. Despicable. Concacaf needs to do something. This stop the game for 5 minutes and give everyone a break is not a punishment

This sort of thing happens after literally every close game Mexico plays. After the El Salvador game they flooded El Salvadorian players social media with references to MS-13. That fan base is a disease. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Next time we have two bench clearing brawls with the Mexicans I want to have Cavallini out there. Or failing that,  Tie Domi

I guarantee we are getting at least one red if Cav is on the field last night.  He might have taken one or two with him(if just incapacitated them) but there is no way we get away without sanctions with him on the field. 

Mind you, it would have been very satisfying to see him crack a few skulls in the melee.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I guarantee we are getting at least one red if Cav is on the field last night.  He might have taken one or two with him(if just incapacitated them) but there is no way we get away without sanctions with him on the field. 

Mind you, it would have been very satisfying to see him crack a few skulls in the melee.  

I feel like both Cavallini & Doneil Henry could do some serious damage in a brawl 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I feel like both Cavallini & Doneil Henry could do some serious damage in a brawl 😂

In Orlando when we got to see lots of the players in the lobby we bugged a few of them for quick selfies.  Doniel was the only one who kind of scared me. 

Edited by dyslexic nam
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...