GC: Canada vs Mexico - Thursday, July 29th, 10pm Eastern / 7pm Pacific - Houston TX

We’ve had matches in the past where we’ve played it close by being passive and defending, but this tournament was a true turning point where we showed confidence in moving through the midfield and attacking. 

We ran at the backlines of USA, Mexico and Costa Rica and looked fucking good doing it. It’s not like the talent we called for this Gold Cup was much different than the last tournament, but we’ve come such a long way. The players have bought into the system and have developed chemistry. I keep hearing the players refer to it as “the brotherhood”, and you see it in the way they play. I really hope we get to hear what Oso was saying in the post game huddle, these guys are dripping in passion.

Just now, Pottsy3 said:

We’ve had matches in the past where we’ve played it close by being passive and defending, but this tournament was a true turning point where we showed confidence in moving through the midfield and attacking. 

We ran at the backlines of USA, Mexico and Costa Rica and looked fucking good doing it. It’s not like the talent we called for this Gold Cup was much different than the last tournament, but we’ve come such a long way. The players have bought into the system and have developed chemistry. I keep hearing the players refer to it as “the brotherhood”, and you see it in the way they play. I really hope we get to hear what Oso was saying in the post game huddle, these guys are dripping in passion.

You can tell these guys love playing for Canada. There’s a reason a world best XI player wanted to be here. 

And like Hume said.. this is going to attract players. If you’re a Dias or Jebbison you better got onboard now.

9 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Even the American announcers said it helped mexico.  They were disorganized,and in trouble....after 7minutes for the veteran team to reorganize, talk it over they finished us off and scored   We were on the front foot and the break just disrupted our momentum.  How stupid is it to say both teams rested?? We didnt need it, we had momentum, they needed to break the momentum, and they got it from the fans or whichever CONCACAF official who stopped the game right when Mexico needed a time out.  

Agree 100%

17 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Why?  What was wrong with the squad we had tonight?

It is about succession planning and adding quality in depth.  We can only get stronger with more a d more top quality players competing like hell to get into our team.   As impressed as I am with our play and happy with our squad, the guys that are being talked about are potential future players in the top flights of England and Portugal.  That calibre of player will always be welcomed into our player pool.  

Just now, Joe MacCarthy said:

That was my question going into this, and it was answered...in spades.  Loved the scrapes, in front of a hostile crowd.  We may have lost the battle but as I've always said get Mexico outta altitude and the heat of high noon and they're not so special.

I liked the scrappiness, too.  Getting in their grill.  Sh*t disturbing (Laryea's great for that).   

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

It is about succession planning and adding quality in depth.  We can only get stronger with more a d more top quality players competing like hell to get into our team.   As impressed as I am with our play and happy with our squad, the guys that are being talked about are potential future players in the top flights of England and Portugal.  That calibre of player will always be welcomed into our player pool.  

Exactly...would we be crying about Arfield or Hutch skipping the tournie or worrying about Ayo getting injured if we had a few more of these 5 star young guns on board??  

2 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Osorio played amazing tonight, I thought our midfield was getting tired at the end but I can’t wait when we have Hutch, Arfield  ( yes he’s coming back you’ll see) as option as starting or off the bench. Fraser was good but he’s not there yet. 

I’ve thought of Osorio as the odd man out in our midfield for awhile, and he was proving me right when he looked rusty at the WCQ. But damn, did he ever take a step up these last two games. He’s not always making high impact plays, but he did a lot of the little things right today. When he doesn’t try to do too much, he’s a great player and leade4

8 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I liked the scrappiness, too.  Getting in their grill.  Sh*t disturbing (Laryea's great for that).   

This 1000% too many times in the past where ive seen us pussy out of those situations or guys not really back each other. 

I loved to see it.

Edited by Shway

1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

Exactly...would we be crying about Arfield or Hutch skipping the tournie or worrying about Ayo getting injured if we had a few more of these 5 star young guns on board??  

Remember a lot of guys won’t be around in 2026. We need young talent players! Look at Costa Rica. 

We dont need Arfield anymore.   He has been surpassed.   Who is Arfield going to replace?   I have never had any issues with Arfield in the past based on who was avaible at the time.   But i never once thought he was indespensable.  The only reason that there is so much talk here of Arfield here is because there is a segment here who constantly pump the tires of UK  or england based players and there has always been that bias here with some that if you play in england you good irrepsctive of what you do on the pitch.  Bottom line, he was good but was not a differnce maker in Scotland nor when he was playing at Burnley.  But now there are better midfielders for canada.

Edited by Free kick

1 minute ago, Free kick said:

We dont need Arfield anymore.   Who is Arfield going to replace?   I have never had any issues with Arfield in the past based on who was avaible at the time.   But i never once thougt he was indespensable.  The only reason that there is so much talk her of Arfield here is because there is a segment here who constantly pump his tires and is because he palys in the UK  or england and there has always been that bias here that if you play in england you good irrepsctive of what you do on the pitch.  But now there are better midfield

I agree with everything. I’ve been stating  this exact sentiment….BUT!

We do need him, we need at least 23 guys for the gruelling WCQ schedule.

Mexican fans tonight:

Quiet when their side was not doing much. 

Booing their side when they reset the play and were not pressing. 

Chanting something so bad (possibly even against their own goalie)  it shut the game down for some time.

Did not seem to listen when their team was pleading to them to stop.

Then love their side  and party like its 1999 when they put the winning one in.   

Makes you wonder what they would have done if we had have won?

Still not sure though how stopping the game and ( in my opinion giving a tired Mexican side a breather) penalizes Mexico for their fans bad behavior.

Might the potential ticket and ad revenue of yet another USA Mexico final have come into play here?  Ugh. 

1 minute ago, Free kick said:

We dont need Arfield anymore.   Who is Arfield going to replace?   I have never had any issues with Arfield in the past based on who was avaible at the time.   But i never once thougt he was indespensable.  The only reason that there is so much talk her of Arfield here is because there is a segment here who constantly pump his tires and is because he palys in the UK  or england and there has always been that bias here that if you play in england you good irrepsctive of what you do on the pitch.  But now there are better midfield

Are you on Drugs…. Fraser, Piette, Wotherspoon( I really like ) are not better than Arfield. Also Kaye and Osorio are close to his level. 

5 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

At the end of the day you don’t disrupt anything to do with the “brotherhood” we have going. Arfield isn’t Iniesta and Hoilett, who has suddenly turned up a gear, seems to think there’s a problem with him. 

Give me Wotherspoon and Hutchinson. We have depth in spades.

Agreed.

1 minute ago, SpecialK said:

Are you on Drugs…. Fraser, Piette, Wotherspoon( I really like ) are not better than Arfield. Also Kaye and Osorio are close to his level. 

No.  I am someone who actually watched the games.

Edited by Free kick

12 hours ago, Corazon said:

Kaye - I thought he was fairly good throughout.  Definitely lacked supporting the backline in the first.

Eustaquio - Not his best game at all but still my top midfielder.

Osorio - I thought he was okay.  Positive and negatives.

This is the kind of road game where Osorio's strengths of positional smarts, holding possession, putting in a good shift two ways, craftiness (i.e. that first half opportunity) are on display but he doesn't have the offensive weaponry in his locker.  Kaye sprung Buchanon with that quick switch in the build up for the goal but conceded that penalty (in the heat of the moment, you still have to be cognizant of how close you are to the p.a. when challenging).  Eustaquio was off (seemed surprisingly overwhelmed somewhat, dare I say) but in the end this a good learning experience and preparation for him going forward).  Both he and Kaye were not as good a shield in front of the central defence as they will need to be the next time we face Mexico and a full strength USA as well as other Ocho teams on the road. 

Edited by BearcatSA