GC: Canada vs Mexico - Thursday, July 29th, 10pm Eastern / 7pm Pacific - Houston TX

5 minutes ago, ShaneC06 said:
Mexico only got back into this game and scored that goal because of that homophobic chant stoppage by the Mexican fans. It let Mexico back in the match and it was going on all game.

Canada had momentum and the referee gave Mexico a rest. CONCACAF is a bunch of BS! #GoldCup

Sorry, this is a plain incorrect take. I can't believe folks think it makes sense.

The team in inferior conditions has to benefit from a long time out and a break, to rest, reorganise, and focus. A stop like that, psychologically, would also hurt the Mexicans you could argue, as it may imply further sanctions for them. So that stop has to be interpreted as normally and usually benefitting us. 

Another thing is if they poured it on for 10 minutes, but that could have happened regardless.

I think the ref was biased, and did not give us a lot, there were a few cards he missed (on that Tajon run where he was fouled just outside the box). Some midfield fouls in their favour. But in fact they did not create major danger from open play, and the match was slightly in their favour in most phases. 

Really proud of that effort. I hope none of our players get suspended. Honestly after this game i’d be a little disappointed if we didn’t come out with a draw at the Azteca. That’s how impressive we played…

1 minute ago, Atlantic said:

Look at how far we’ve come, our C+ team went toe to toe with Mexico’s A- in crowd with over 60,000 Mexicans. We are going to pummel them in Mexico with no fans. 

It could be argued that the elevation is a bigger factor than the crowd, imo. But when we get them here it's go time!

Just now, Unnamed Trialist said:

Sorry, this is a plain incorrect take. I can't believe folks think it makes sense.

The team in inferior conditions has to benefit from a long time out and a break, to rest, reorganise, and focus. A stop like that, psychologically, would also hurt the Mexicans you could argue, as it may imply further sanctions for them. So that stop has to be interpreted as normally and usually benefitting us. 

Another thing is if they poured it on for 10 minutes, but that could have happened regardless.

I think the ref was biased, and did not give us a lot, there were a few cards he missed (on that Tajon run where he was fouled just outside the box). Some midfield fouls in their favour. But in fact they did not create major danger from open play, and the match was slightly in their favour in most phases. 

This wasn't about tactics or emotions or superiority. They were gassed. Just not fit. They got rest.

Absolutely so proud of the boys today.  We went there, basically in an away match and took it to a Mexico squad with more of their A squad than us.  All of my American and Mexican friends are absolutely shocked with how well we performed.  I know Henry will take a lot of the brunt for this loss but her was left out to dry for a lot of the first half and had a much better 2nd half.  Against this Mexico team, I am not sure Vitoria would have played a flawless game either.  Doesn't take away from him going down so early on that pk.

Crepeau - Another great performance.  Have complete confidence in him if he gets the start this fall.

Henry - Honestly a good game except for the tackle on the penalty.  I understand people's frustration with him but it was a gutsy performance that not too many other defenders of ours could have done.  I still think it's Vitoria's position to lose.

Johnston - Another solid performance.

Laryea - I thought he was quite good as well once again.

Kaye - I thought he was fairly good throughout.  Definitely lacked supporting the backline in the first.

Eustaquio - Not his best game at all but still my top midfielder.

Osorio - I thought he was okay to good.  Like Kaye and Eustaquio not a great 1st half but improved immensely.

Junior - Thought he was fantastic again.

Buchanan - Another fantastic performance.

Tesho - Did what he could.

Fraser - I wasn't sure about this substitution but he did his job.

Corbeanu - Showed some flair in attack.  First time a lot of my American friends has watched him and they were actually not impressed.  They thought he was trying to do too much but they all fell in love with Buchanan.

We are going to have some serious questions come WCQ.  Kamal or Kennedy?  Junior was outstanding this tournament.  Do we find a starting spot for him in September?  Have to find a spot for Tajon, so who gets dropped?  Does Crepeau start over Borjan?

I love the fight of this team.  This is unlike any squad I've watched before.  So proud.

Edited by Corazon