GC: Canada vs Mexico - Thursday, July 29th, 10pm Eastern / 7pm Pacific - Houston TX

I doubt Herdman chooses a SF game against Mexico to change things up, but with our striker situation I would be going for a 4-5-1 with a solid defensive core - including a double pivot of Eustaquio and Piette.   

If we are down a goal and need to generate some offence, you have options off the bench: Kaye for Piette, Theo for whoever in the attacking third that needs a refresh, and if he was he was on site you could bring Guti on for Miller.  

3B9E1E3F-F5AE-4249-A8F5-7F78FA1BEB7F.jpeg

I haven't thought about it too deeply, but I don't like the idea of dropping Cavallini for a midfielder and rolling with Junior up front. I think pressing Mexico is the only real way we'll be able to create chances, and I don't think going with a 3-6-1 or 4-5-1 or whatever is going to allow us to do that. Go with Akindele up front as a straight swap, he's a good presser.

26 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I think we need Piette instead of Kaye - Otherwise, I like it although I have doubts 3-5-2 works on Mexico.

Also, we might get a break

One thing I like about this lineup starting as a 3-5-2 is that if this formation is indeed getting burned, it can easily transition into a 4-3-3 or a 4-4-2.

Hoilett-Corbeanu-Buchanan

Kaye-Eustaquio-Osorio

Laryea-Miller-Henry-Johnston

as for Piette, definitely not going to argue that, I just really like the chemistry Eustaquio and Kaye have seemingly built.

good news for us if Alvarez is out.

9 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I doubt Herdman chooses a SF game against Mexico to change things up, but with our striker situation I would be going for a 4-5-1 with a solid defensive core - including a double pivot of Eustaquio and Piette.   

If we are down a goal and need to generate some offence, you have options off the bench: Kaye for Piette, Theo for whoever in the attacking third that needs a refresh, and if he was he was on site you could bring Guti on for Miller.  

Sadly Vitoria is out for the SF.

14 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Vitoria is suspended. This could work if:

- Guti came in for Miller and Miller shifted to Vitoria's spot;

- Laryea went to LB, Miller to LCB, Hoilett to LW and Tesho/Theo came in up top; or

- Laryea went to LB and Pasher started at LW.

I think we need Tesho starting. He's athletic and there's a reason Orlando has started him so much up top this season. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

Oh GOD no more parking the bus BS. Attack Mexico. If we lose guns blazing, full throttle I will be a happy camper. We have the talent and horses to do it. 
I am sorry to say but I think Piette should be no where near the starting 11. Yes great defensively but huge liability with his passing and useless offensively. 

14 minutes ago, El Diego said:

I haven't thought about it too deeply, but I don't like the idea of dropping Cavallini for a midfielder and rolling with Junior up front. I think pressing Mexico is the only real way we'll be able to create chances, and I don't think going with a 3-6-1 or 4-5-1 or whatever is going to allow us to do that. Go with Akindele up front as a straight swap, he's a good presser.

Yes, but need to keep in mind we'll be attacking with Tajon and Richie on the wings when the opportunity presents itself, so the 4-5-1 is essentially a 4-3-3 when attacking.  This is probably the only and best way to keep Mexico honest and at least a bit pegged back. 

We'll get burned in the midfield if we stick to our previous formations (3-4-3/3-5-2).  Mexico is just too quick in transition and possesion.     

FWIW, I am not advocating to park the bus.  I am saying that we need to be defensively responsible first and foremost.   Thus the double pivot which supports the area where we are weakest (not saying weak - but weaker in relation to the rest of the lineup).  With Vlitoria out (thanks for the reminder) I think that maybe becomes even more important.  

16 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

FWIW, I am not advocating to park the bus.  I am saying that we need to be defensively responsible first and foremost.   Thus the double pivot which supports the area where we are weakest (not saying weak - but weaker in relation to the rest of the lineup).  With Vlitoria out (thanks for the reminder) I think that maybe becomes even more important.  

The only changes I see us making is Akindele for Cavallini and Henry for Vitoria, with no formation change.

But who knows, Herdman has thrown curve balls before...

36 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Oh GOD no more parking the bus BS. Attack Mexico. If we lose guns blazing, full throttle I will be a happy camper. We have the talent and horses to do it. 
I am sorry to say but I think Piette should be no where near the starting 11. Yes great defensively but huge liability with his passing and useless offensively. 

I agree, no “park the bus”.  And keep Kaye in the starting lineup.  
The most effective part of Canada’s game plan has been their aggressive press.  I think(?) the game is being played in an air conditioned stadium (NRG stadium) like the quarter finals which will be an advantage for us, so I don’t think our game plan will change, nor should it.  A relentless press should cause problems for Mexico - get them frustrated and see if they self-destruct under the “home-crowd” pressure.

Edited by TOcanadafan

I get the idea that the press may be how we get a result - it really just puts the defensive onus at the front rather than at the back.  But I am worried that they will find a way to cut through our midfield with a few quick passes and expose us at the back if we are front-loaded as a result of the press.  

Just now, CanadaFan123 said:

One thing is for sure. We need to be focused from the first whistle. If we allow Mexico to score early we're done.

This is where I think the US game will be motivation.  We were energetic against CR from the start and I expect the same against Mexico.  I am confident that Herdman will have the boys amped up for the opening whistle.  

16 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I get the idea that the press may be how we get a result - it really just puts the defensive onus at the front rather than at the back.  But I am worried that they will find a way to cut through our midfield with a few quick passes and expose us at the back if we are front-loaded as a result of the press.  

Just becomes a matter of us executing the press versus them beating it. I fully support us pressing Mexico. If they play through us, so be it. The alternative is what, giving up the ball and inviting pressure? It's pick your poison with Mexico. 

10 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Just becomes a matter of us executing the press versus them beating it. I fully support us pressing Mexico. If they play through us, so be it. The alternative is what, giving up the ball and inviting pressure? It's pick your poison with Mexico. 

Our press last match was deadly. The concern about Mexico breaking our lines is valid but then again it is against any decent team (i.e. Costa Rica). Everyone has to be tuned in and ready to react/win balls in midfield. This is where we might want a midfield duo of Piette and Eustaquio. The only reservation I have about that is the chemistry between Kaye and Stache + the added height Kaye gives us off set pieces, which will be big for us.

Edit: It looks like Kaye has been traded to Colorado FWIW.

Edited by CanadaFan123

One thing no one talking about, is how much harder it’s going to be without Vitoria because of the fact that Mexico presses harder than any other country in Concacaf, and he was by far our best passing CB, who has shown multiple times this tournament, he can break the lines with one pass. 

Now we will most likely put in Henry, who is by far our worst passing CB. We can’t even play hoofball to Cav, because he’s suspended as well. 

Going to have to pray that Millar, Henry, and Piette are all on their A games, and don’t give the ball away. 

15 minutes ago, TOCanada115 said:

One thing no one talking about, is how much harder it’s going to be without Vitoria because of the fact that Mexico presses harder than any other country in Concacaf, and he was by far our best passing CB, who has shown multiple times this tournament, he can break the lines with one pass. 

Now we will most likely put in Henry, who is by far our worst passing CB. We can’t even play hoofball to Cav, because he’s suspended as well. 

Going to have to pray that Millar, Henry, and Piette are all on their A games, and don’t give the ball away. 

Henry will be fine passing from the middle. 

Also a quick note on Kaye: I hope he keeps his head on straight after this news. That's a pretty big bombshell and he seemed very comfortable in LA with his girlfriend/fiancée. He needs to put all that to one side and focus on Canada. 

29 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Henry will be fine passing from the middle. 

Also a quick note on Kaye: I hope he keeps his head on straight after this news. That's a pretty big bombshell and he seemed very comfortable in LA with his girlfriend/fiancée. He needs to put all that to one side and focus on Canada. 

I have noticed he is quite good at long diagonals when he has time, but I worry about line splitters through the middle, or how he will handle pressure. Then again, Vitoria had that brutal give away versus Martinique.