GC: Canada vs Mexico - Thursday, July 29th, 10pm Eastern / 7pm Pacific - Houston TX

14 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Look, I like Cav’s passion, but that is a dumb play - full stop.  He knowingly tackles a guy where the follow through will cut him down in a way that is always called and generally results in a yellow.  Passion is one thing.  An inability to control yourself when the situation demands it is another.  

It's the exact reason why I've said he's a super sub. 

I love his bite, his bang, and his rashness at times. I see it as he plays with a chip on his should/don't think you can fuck with me type attitude, that has been very different to our culture of timidness/ guys not knowing the dark arts of football....but yea this one hurts, as I think he's our best battled tested and ready striker for a team like Mexico. 

I kinda go with KJs line of thinking from the post game show. Put Hoilett as a lone striker and just add an extra midfielder to the existing mix. So Piette, MAK & Eustaquio 

I think with Osorio moving around its enough talent to hold possession and I keep Mexico off balance. We may not have much finish but lots of Swedish. They're not use to conceding possession to teams

11 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I kinda go with KJs line of thinking from the post game show. Put Hoilett as a lone striker and just add an extra midfielder to the existing mix. So Piette, MAK & Eustaquio 

I think with Osorio moving around its enough talent to hold possession and I keep Mexico off balance. We may not have much finish but lots of Swedish. They're not use to conceding possession to teams

Mexico also doesn't respond well to being pressed, its part of the reason why they are so dominant in CONCACAF, teams show them too much respect (understandable), but watch Mexico play against any high level opponent who isn't afraid of them, and they struggle. Likewise, the last time we played them, things got really interesting when Canada brought on the big guns and started pressing them, they looked very uncomfortable. I don't expect Canada to win this game, but right now we are playing with house money, and I think the main objective should be to send a message to the rest of CONCACAF, if we beat Mexico awesome, if we don't, then lets keep the game as close as possible.

5 hours ago, AvroArrow said:

Henry will be in the back line, and its a toss of the coin every time he goes in for a tackle in the box.  I am not as concerned about Cavilini being out, as I think Hoilett and Tajon are our top two attackers currently on the roster anyways.

Henry's rate of yellow cards received per minute is about the same as Vitoria's. He's never received a straight red for Canada, though twice a 2nd yellow. I don't know where one would find stats about penalties conceded, if that's what you're worried about. I think some fans, and especially TFC fans, have their perception of this player clouded by who he was 6 to 8 years ago. (Still only 28 btw, and interesting factoid: shares his birthday, 4/20, with Adolf Hitler and Carmen Electra, among others).

In other words, I would not be surprised for him to put in a perfectly competent performance against Mexico, win or lose.

37 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Henry's rate of yellow cards received per minute is about the same as Vitoria's. He's never received a straight red for Canada, though twice a 2nd yellow. I don't know where one would find stats about penalties conceded, if that's what you're worried about. I think some fans, and especially TFC fans, have their perception of this player clouded by who he was 6 to 8 years ago. (Still only 28 btw, and interesting factoid: shares his birthday, 4/20, with Adolf Hitler and Carmen Electra, among others).

In other words, I would not be surprised for him to put in a perfectly competent performance against Mexico, win or lose.

I can’t imagine Adolf Hitler and Carmen Electra have been mentioned in the same sentence much, but you never know 

3 hours ago, Shway said:

It's the exact reason why I've said he's a super sub. 

I love his bite, his bang, and his rashness at times. I see it as he plays with a chip on his should/don't think you can fuck with me type attitude, that has been very different to our culture of timidness/ guys not knowing the dark arts of football....but yea this one hurts, as I think he's our best battled tested and ready striker for a team like Mexico. 

As I see it, he felt he needed to cut off an attack and preserve a lead.

So it worked. You should not play a match thinking hypothetically of the next. Did he have any discipline problems after that? Did Vitória after his card?

The real problem is that there was not one of the mids, without a card, right there to do the job. I am totally in favour of a coach telling the players not in danger of a sanction that their job is to take the damn yellow, as far away from goal as necessary to save a result. I even like the idea of them rotating these professional fouls.

Of course players on the back line need to not get carded early as it conditions them to much when they need to make a challenge as a game progresses.

[Am I suggesting that every single player on the field in the semis take a yellow if they must to get us to the final? Damn right]

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

I would be tempted to start Pasher ahead of Tesho. Aruajo & Moreno are slow and his pace would give us a threat in behind. His movement was also good when he came on vs the US. A fluid attack with Hoilett, Pasher, Osorio & Tajon could really catch Mexico off guard. It also looks like the game will be in an AC’d arena again and he might be a better option for the  controlled press.

1 hour ago, FC_Hali said:

I would be tempted to start Pasher ahead of Tesho. Aruajo & Moreno are slow and his pace would give us a threat in behind. His movement was also good when he came on vs the US. A fluid attack with Hoilett, Pasher, Osorio & Tajon could really catch Mexico off guard. It also looks like the game will be in an AC’d arena again and he might be a better option for the  controlled press.

honestly, I'm all up with giving Pasher a shot here, I'd like to see what he and Hoilett could do up front together. Pasher is more dynamic than Tesho IMO

Its not Mexico that we need to beat and to measure ourselves against in order to qualify for the WC finals.   Its CRC, Honduras, Pan, ES and Jamaica.   In WCQ,  any result we get against Mexico is really just bonus points.  

The objective for canada in 2021 and 2022 is to grab that third spot in WCQ and anything else doesnt matter.  So i dont really care about whether we win or lose or the scoreline in this match.  As long as we play well and look somewhat like we belong on the same pitch as mexico.  

Edited by Free kick

5 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

That’s my view as I said in another thread. Put Osorio, Kaye, Eustaquio and Piette in midfield with Buchanan and Laryea as wing backs. And Hoilett up top on his own. That clogs the midfield and will make it very difficult for the Mexicans. We then have the speed on the flanks to counter

29 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Its not Mexico that we need to beat and to measure ourselves against in order to qualify for the WC finals.   Its CRC, Honduras and Jamaica.   In WCQ,  any result we get against Mexico is really just bonus points.  

The objective for canada in 2021 and 2022 is to grab that third spot in WCQ and anything else doesnt matter.  So i dont really care about whether we win or lose or the scoreline in this match.  As long as we play well and look somewhat like we belong on the same pitch as mexico.  

We need to prove we are in the top three, leaving the other guys as pretenders and also rans.

7 hours ago, An Observer said:

That’s my view as I said in another thread. Put Osorio, Kaye, Eustaquio and Piette in midfield with Buchanan and Laryea as wing backs. And Hoilett up top on his own. That clogs the midfield and will make it very difficult for the Mexicans. We then have the speed on the flanks to counter

So 4-5-1 rather than 3-5-2?  If so, I like it.  Solid defensively, lots of bodies in the midfield, and enough. Speed on the wings to ensure we have some attacking support for the lone striker.  

EDIT: Actually it sounds like what is being proposed is a 3-6-1.  That might be a bit crowded in midfield.  I think I would rather see us move to a more traditional 4 at the back.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

14 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

So 4-5-1 rather than 3-5-2?  If so, I like it.  Solid defensively, lots of bodies in the midfield, and enough. Speed on the wings to ensure we have some attacking support for the lone striker.  

EDIT: Actually it sounds like what is being proposed is a 3-6-1.  That might be a bit crowded in midfield.  I think I would rather see us move to a more traditional 4 at the back.  

Anyone think we might go with the USA at BMO plan? Play a box or diamond in midfield with pace at striker? Something like:

Hoilett - Buchanan

Osorio - Kaye

Piette - Eustaquio

Laryea - Miller - Henry - Johnston

Crepeau

8 hours ago, Free kick said:

I have to disagree.  We have to push ourselves beyond the "thanks for coming out" stage with Mexico even with the adversity we have faced  this tournament. There is a huge value in being realistic and not letting a loss get you down but of course this game matters. 

Confidence, emerging stars, huge (even fundamentally ignorant) press if we were to win.  And again a step closer to winning our confederation tournament.  All of those will help our WCQ, even if you don't care about anything else.  Which I don't think should be the sole goal of the program. 

1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I have to disagree.  We have to push ourselves beyond the "thanks for coming out" stage with Mexico even with the adversity we have faced  this tournament. There is a huge value in being realistic and not letting a loss get you down but of course this game matters. 

Confidence, emerging stars, huge (even fundamentally ignorant) press if we were to win.  And again a step closer to winning our confederation tournament.  All of those will help our WCQ, even if you don't care about anything else.  Which I don't think should be the sole goal of the program. 

Off topic, but its too bad the Confederations Cup doesn't exist anymore.

I mean when is the last time Canada we have beaten Mexico in a major competition? It has been a while if that. I mean of course I want our guys to beat Mexico on Thursday but we have to be realistic here as well. I mean we can't afford to get cocky and especially can't afford to get cocky against Mexico because they will make you pay for it. 

Plus no matter what Gold Cups they seem to show up in, Mexico always manages to get the job done. Hell, most CONCACAF Gold Cup title wins and not to mention the most appearances out of any CONCACAF team in World Cups. My point being it doesn't matter if they have an A, B or C team they usually get results not only against us but against other teams in the region.

Yeah they have been underwhelming thus far but they are still winning matches regardless at this Gold Cup. 

Considering Canada we haven't won a Gold Cup since 2000 and this is the furthest (semi final) we have been at a Gold Cup since 2007, do I think we have what it takes to win on Thursday?

I mean I don't hold out much hope if at all. I mean I'm being realistic and brutally honest here. But I mean an upset is possible but I just can't see it happening.

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Love this. At some point we need to expect and demand more - even if the results aren't there. Gone need to be the days of hoping for a result, putting in a good shift, morale boosting losses, showing like we belong, etc... Confidence and psyche matter and no better way to build that in a hurry than actual legitimate success and not just trying to look like we fit in. Whether that's against the US, Mexico who gives an F we play to win not show up.