GC: Canada vs Mexico - Thursday, July 29th, 10pm Eastern / 7pm Pacific - Houston TX

4 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

If people can honestly say Henry is a top CB for us after that bonehead challenge, we are in serious trouble. I have no idea what Herdman is thinking by leaving Vitoria out for Henry tonight, but this is our only weak spot. I said it before the game and now we're behind. Vitoria has been terrific and you start... Henry? In the biggest game of the tourney thus far? Mind-boggling. 

Wheeler... stop posting here during Half Time

1 minute ago, TOcanadafan said:

We had our chances that half… but Osorio and Tesho’s offensive brains don’t work fast enough.

Hoilett impressed me so much that half getting involved in our buildups.  

Unfortunately Tesho is what he is. He has worked very hard but doesn't quite have the quality at this level against this opposition. Hope he proves me wrong next half!

Just now, toontownman said:

Only one incident the officials are interested in judging out of the two. 

In fairness as far as concacaf goes the officiating has been OK tonight.

Should have been cards for the Alvarez hit and subsequent melee. Osorio looked like he slapped a player in the face, someone had Henry by the neck. Madness.

There’s been a bunch of stuff. Laryea knocked their player over at one point and took several liberties while he was on the way down.

i don’t know whether the cards would improve the game or just compound the handbag stuff.

For CONCACAF I will more than take this as the officiating.

2 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Only one incident the officials are interested in judging out of the two. 

In fairness as far as concacaf goes the officiating has been OK tonight.

Should have been cards for the Alvarez hit and subsequent melee. Osorio looked like he slapped a player in the face, someone had *Kaye by the neck. Madness.

You could see on the feed that the ref was watching that they looked at the incident as well. I suppose they deemed it wasn’t enough for a red, but that’s an odd rule that even though both incidents were reviewed, yellow cards can only be issued for one of them.

They are also defending well, they have our postion on the field sussed out and have everyone properly covered. Good coaching from Mexico. Then, at the back we were not really threatened, and had a few going forwards. As you'd expect with 35% possession.

I thought that Akindele simply was out of his league, he has problems holding up, making a simple pass. Except on that assist to Eustaquio. I think if you are in a camp from day one, you should not be on the bench for a guy like Tesho who is not part of the core squad and comes in late. It is simply not fair, it is playing seniority over objective quality. You wanted Theo in the mix, you've given him a few minutes. So play the kid, that is the right thing to do.

Apart from that we were fine, we did as expected. Oso and MAK a bit anonymous for too much of that half, Eustaquio well covered. Tajon well marked. Hoillet with a bit more freedom. We even were tactically smart staying down for injuries and breaking up the flow of the rival. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Just now, jonovision said:

I hesitate to say this because the three midfielders playing today are better players than him, but Canada might have been better off in that first half with Piette playing in front of the back line.

That's a very good question.  Again Doneil needs to stay on his feet but man we are exposed right in front of our back line that half.

14 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

If people can honestly say Henry is a top CB for us after that bonehead challenge, we are in serious trouble. I have no idea what Herdman is thinking by leaving Vitoria out for Henry tonight, but this is our only weak spot. I said it before the game and now we're behind. Vitoria has been terrific and you start... Henry? In the biggest game of the tourney thus far? Mind-boggling. 

Oh pls.  There is no CdN CB that is head and shoulders above anyone else.  Period.  
Vittoria is not the second coming of Paolo Maldini.   Far far far from it.  

Edited by Free kick

I know we’re all fired up. I know I am.

We fought hard that half. We just about made it to half 0-0 and there are no words that haven’t already been said about Henry’s challenge. I’m very disappointed but not surprised, of course.

Lets hope the boys have a hell of a half and keep making this a game. We’re in a Gold Cup semis vs the regions giants (while missing many many key pieces) and completely in this (even if it’s unlikely we get anything from this result, let’s hope they do themselves proud).

1 minute ago, jonovision said:

I hesitate to say this because the three midfielders playing today are better players than him, but Canada might have been better off in that first half with Piette playing in front of the back line.

You're not wrong, from a standpoint of the role he plays right on front of the d-line.

1 minute ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

I did not know that Vitoria is suspended. I do recall that he received a yellow earlier in the tourney, but I was not of the suspension. Regardless, Henry is not the answer at CB. 

Also not on Henry that our only other option at this Gold Cup was Sturing and he was never going to get the start tonight.