Canadian Manager of the Year?

nolando

I just stumbled upon this article on the Germany manager of the year: Chelsea FC: Thomas Tuchel named Germany Manager of the Year.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2021/07/25/thomas-tuchel-named-germany-manager-of-the-year

It got me to thinking, why have we never added Canadian Manager of the Year to our informal year-end polls along with Male and Female Players of the Year? 

With the rise in the number of fully professional Canadian managers with the Canadian League, it might be worth trying in December. It could even help to raise the profile slightly of a guy like Marcina who might be doing something impressive in another league below the radar.

Edited by nolando

Don’t think we’re quite there yet for this type of award that has its questions of merit….

Born-bred Canadians:

Bobby - Forge
Marcina - San Antonio 
Brennan - York United
Dos Santos - VWFC

Naturalized Canadians:

Rob Gale - Valour
Wheeldon Jr - Cavalry
Koch - Edmonton 
Hart - HWFC

I do wonder what some of the naturalized guys consider themselves first, like does Hart say he’s Canadian-Trini or Trini-Canadian. 

11 minutes ago, Free kick said:

It needs to be a coach coaching in Canada for a cnd club or a provincial or nation side <Period> .  Cant look at nationality or your introducing a gazillion grey areas.

Disagree. Completely.

Let's honour Canadians doing well no matter the location, just like we do for the Player of the Year awards.

1 hour ago, nolando said:

Disagree. Completely.

Let's honour Canadians doing well no matter the location, just like we do for the Player of the Year awards.

Someone above mentioned Marc Bircham. Is he Canadian?  I will bet and am almost certain that thierry Henry and Greg Vanney and Carl Robinson spent more time in canada than Bircham.  And that they know more about Canada.

what about John Herdman?  Do we know if he has Canadian citizenship?

what above someone who may have been born in Canada but is coaching somewhere else outside of canada?   And who may have not lived in canada for 10, 20, or 30 years. And who may have no intention to  return.

what about a succcessfull coach who moved to canada but is not yet a canadian citizen?  But lives here and plans to continue to live here.

what about Carlo Anchelotti.  Who may live in canada and may have a canadian passport.

How do we know who is canadian?  How do we know what passport they hold? Do you have to have a ppt or is permanent resident ok

for players its pretty easy to define a canadian. Its soemone who playes or is eligible to play for one of our national teams.   For coaches there is no such defining criteria. That why i believe it has to be someone who is coaching a club in Canada.

Edited by Free kick

So because, by very definition, it is hard to always clearly define a Canadian, then by @Free kick's logic we should dismiss the efforts of genuine Canadians coaching abroad who might be the very ones trailblazing or having the most quantifiable success?

We could end up discounting someone winning a regional tournament or Champions League or something just because we acknowledge duel citizenship or something? 

I think we simply could debate whether or not to include a particular coach in December rather than rule out a Marcina in the States winning a title, or perhaps a future NCAA championship winner or Canadian woman coaching in Europe, to give just three examples, simply because we have a few gray area candidates.

Edited by nolando

15 minutes ago, nolando said:

I think we simply could debate whether or not to include a particular coach in December rather than rule out a Marcina in the States winning a title, or perhaps a future NCAA championship winner or Canadian woman coaching in Europe, to give just three examples, simply because we have a few gray area candidates.

Agree. Its also not hard to make certain criteria for a coach to say whether or not they are considered Canadian for the award. Born in Canada? Yes, they are Canadian. Played for Canada? Yes, they are Canadian? IIRC players need to reside in a country for 5+years to be eligible. That seems a bit short in terms of coaching career, but also since we likely wouldn't know their immigration status. Most guys in CPL that we would consider naturalized Canadians would meet this threshold.

Hart (~40 years) - In Halifax since 1981
Rob Gale (~20 years) - In Winnipeg since 2001

Wheeldon Jr (~19 years) - In Calgary since 2002
Koch (~12 years) - In Vancouver since 2008. This one is a bit broken up though since he was in the States for a bit but I think he was technically residing in Vancouver

I would find it hard to believe that most if not all of these guys have Canadian citizenship by now, or if not, at least PR status

9 hours ago, Free kick said:

Someone above mentioned Marc Bircham. Is he Canadian?  I will bet and am almost certain that thierry Henry and Greg Vanney and Carl Robinson spent more time in canada than Bircham.  And that they know more about Canada.

what about John Herdman?  Do we know if he has Canadian citizenship?

what above someone who may have been born in Canada but is coaching somewhere else outside of canada?   And who may have not lived in canada for 10, 20, or 30 years. And who may have no intention to  return.

what about a succcessfull coach who moved to canada but is not yet a canadian citizen?  But lives here and plans to continue to live here.

what about Carlo Anchelotti.  Who may live in canada and may have a canadian passport.

How do we know who is canadian?  How do we know what passport they hold? Do you have to have a ppt or is permanent resident ok

for players its pretty easy to define a canadian. Its soemone who playes or is eligible to play for one of our national teams.   For coaches there is no such defining criteria. That why i believe it has to be someone who is coaching a club in Canada.

If the person who votes for a specific coach does not think the coach is Canadian enough then they will not vote for them. I would think if most Voyageurs voted for a specific coach then he is Canadian enough for this competition.