GC: Canada vs Costa Rica - Sunday, July 25th, 7pm Eastern / 4pm Pacific - Arlington TX

24 minutes ago, archer21 said:

I get what you’re saying but my point is, if you think you’re the better team, you don’t park the bus. I’d think they expect to be the better team than us when we’re missing so many of our stars. I believe they pretty much have their strongest squad, don’t they?

I guess we'll see what the architect of the 8-1 drubbing in Honduras nine years ago has planned:  the vastly experienced Suarez will likely be pretty pragmatic in his approach.

Edited by BearcatSA

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yes, except for Navas and Leal, they are pretty much at full strength. You could make a case for Gamboa and Oviedo over Fuller and Matarrita, but that's probably it. 

To your point, I don't think parking the bus is a matter of thinking you are the better team or not, it's about getting the result you need. Bunkering has gotten results from much better sides than Canada. They'll do what they must.  

If we are talking about Mexico then okay, it's not really in their DNA to bunker. Everyone else in this region can, should, and probably will bunker to get what they need, especially Costa Rica. 

I mean, the original post I replied to implied that they’ll just hope to hit a counter or settle for penalties. That pretty well implies that they don’t believe they’re the stronger team. Why settle for a 50-50 crapshoot penalty shootout if you think you’re stronger than the opposition? I won’t argue that they may want to play a more counter attacking style (not that I’m convinced they will), but that isn’t necessarily the same as “parking the bus” and waiting for penalties.

I made a mistake in posting "parking a bus" because it was the wrong term. I think it is more of a cagey, counterattacking game we'll be seeing from them where they won't play a low block but won't be caught out for numbers on the defensive side, either.

This will be an excellent test.  Can't wait for the game.  Cleared my sched to watch!

19 minutes ago, archer21 said:

I mean, the original post I replied to implied that they’ll just hope to hit a counter or settle for penalties. That pretty well implies that they don’t believe they’re the stronger team. Why settle for a 50-50 crapshoot penalty shootout if you think you’re stronger than the opposition? I won’t argue that they may want to play a more counter attacking style (not that I’m convinced they will), but that isn’t necessarily the same as “parking the bus” and waiting for penalties.

I didn't see your comment before I replied but I tried to clarify my thoughts in a later post.  You can feel that you are the stronger team but you're also not going to get yourself caught out when you know what guys like Buchanon and Laryea can do off the counter.  They will be cognizant of that when they have possession, especially much closer to our p.a.  Like any team, they will want to win this during game time but they don't want to be playing catch up because they tried to force the issue and got burned.  They will try to create as many chances as they can from open and set plays and not simply "hope" for a counter.   

Edited by BearcatSA

37 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I know we were missing players against the USA that we'll have in qualifying, but it certainly felt like we had a few +20 pass sequences versus the states. I neve really see us breaking them down and I am concerned it will be similar against Costa Rica. That's why I am thinking about this:

---------Cavallini--Buchanan----------

----------------Osorio------------------

--------Kaye--------Eustaquio-----------

Gutierrez-----------------------Laryea

------Miller----Vitoria---Johnston--------

--------------Crepeau-------------- 

Key here would be to play quickly and get balls in behind that Buchanan can run into. The long passing of Kaye and Eustaquio will be key, as would the hold up play from Cavallini. Guiterrez would come into the side (he's not in camp, but fingers crossed he will be).

Come the moment, come the man, so long as he concentrates on making the right decisions and trying not to do too much on his own.

19 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Come the moment, come the man, so long as he concentrates on making the right decisions and trying not to do too much on his own.

As an aside, I am looking at that line-up and realizing it's basically MLS starters with two Liga Nos players, one of which made the 10-man list of finalists for player of the year, the other captained his side to an 8th place finish. 

Pretty good considering we are missing players from Besiktas, Lille, Bayern, FC Basel, Rangers and Red Star Belgrade.

I'm losing track of our assistant coaches here.....anyone know who the assistant coach is who is giving the pre-practice pep talk to the other assistant coaches (standing in between Biello & Caldwell) at 3:35 is? He's also later seen instructing the players on a video re: Costa Rica's alleged weaknesses.

1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Its not just this video but I hope you are right.  Never seen pro teams release behind the scenes until after the match. 

I haven't watched any of the previous training videos, so I can't say if we've given away too much in those. I just thought that this one, which I did watch, didn't give away anything major. I hope that there was nothing overly compromising in the earlier ones.

2 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

I haven't watched any of the previous training videos, so I can't say if we've given away too much in those. I just thought that this one, which I did watch, didn't give away anything major. I hope that there was nothing overly compromising in the earlier ones.

Probably me being paranoid, but yeah there was a decent amount of taping in an earlier one. 

8 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I'm losing track of our assistant coaches here.....anyone know who the assistant coach is who is giving the pre-practice pep talk to the other assistant coaches (standing in between Biello & Caldwell) at 3:35 is? He's also later seen instructing the players on a video re: Costa Rica's alleged weaknesses.

That's Eric Tenllado our U15 coach.  He has coached in Spain, solid CV and has done a good job with our U15s

21 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

That's Eric Tenllado our U15 coach.  He has coached in Spain, solid CV and has done a good job with our U15s

Thanks for the heads-up. I see he's from Barcelona, coached Espanyol youth, originally was hired by Fury but had visa problems. Then was at High Park in Toronto. 

It's odd they'd have a u15 coach with them, but it's good for his experience. 

I worried about giving too much away as well, but there might be some gamesmanship here. In the last video they focused on Cava taking free kicks, but when Cava and Eustaquio lined up on that first free kick, it was Eustaquio that took it (and beautifully). I like to think that they are being sneaky with misdirections in their editing, even to the point that I hope Larin’s injury is not as bad as previously reported.