GC: Canada vs Costa Rica - Sunday, July 25th, 7pm Eastern / 4pm Pacific - Arlington TX

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

One of the stories tonight was that Costa Rica has a generation of great players who are showing their age. I was a bit surprised they were so non-consequential, thinking of Campbell, Borges or Ruiz when he came on. You underestimate this, but it is still interesting to see. You keep thinking a veteran will come up with a big play and put us on our back foot, but did not happen. 

They had plenty of plays wkere a player got stuck on the ball and we were able to swarm and strip it, or foul. They overthought. Even when they had to put pressure on, they really were not able to. They were not crisp, did not pass well at all, and I'd even say in attack they did not have a single interesting player. A lot of this is on us, on our pressure and team effort, but it is still odd to see. 

For Canada, it wasn't the smoothest or cleanest of wins. It was a bit rough, but the fact we could handle this is a solid sign.

Yes.  This was a very encouraging win.   But now that I reflect on my comments  (where i said that this game is a good sign that we will be in Qatar)from earlier,  I find myself asking if CRC can possibly be this poor?  

Edited by Free kick

11 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Going to be a tough one. Costa Rica is much closer to having their best team for this than we do, so if we win, it will be a great sign for WCQ. Costa Rica haven't looked great but they have had enough experience & tactical acumen to pull out victories thus far. It's a team that knows how to win, ours still needs to prove we can win knock-out matches, something that hasn't happened in the Gold Cup since we smashed Guatemala 3-0 in the 2007 Q-F, and this is a much stronger opponent that that. Hopefully we take that step tonight.

Ok I admit it, I was wrong, it wasn’t a tough one. Surprised by how feces-ridden the Costa Rican performance was, but won’t complain about that. A shame we will now be even further shorthanded against Mexico but looking forward to the challenge. We should play without fear as we have nothing to lose.

Just now, Gian-Luca said:

Ok I admit it, I was wrong, it wasn’t a tough one. Surprised by how feces-ridden the Costa Rican performance was, but won’t complain about that. A shame we will now be even further shorthanded against Mexico but looking forward to the challenge. We should play without fear as we have nothing to lose.

We won virtually every loose ball.  They were always a step behind us in reacting.  We owned them.

2 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

yup, me too. I thought this would have been tighter. Costa Rica had nothing. Nothing, nothing, nothing. 

As for Mexico, I totally agree. A huge opportunity to grow.

9 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Still trying to figure that one out myself.  There's Athos, Porthos, D'Artagnan and then....?

Must be Tim.  Pretty sure it's Athos, Porthos, D'Artgnan and Tim. 

Maybe Doug....

...or Gord...

No, I think it started with an 'A'. It might have been Atiba.

Athos, Atiba and Porthos. Has a nice ring to it.

5 minutes ago, DavemTFC said:

I think this was probably more due to CR being bad than us being good...but we WERE good. Utterly dominant performance

Eustaquio is staking a legit claim for best midfielder in concacaf

He's not going to have that claim playing for Pacos