Olympics: Japan vs Canada - Wednesday July 21st - Sapporo, Japan - 6:30am Eastern / 3:30am Pacific

8 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I watched the game on PVR and I am still not clear why Becky’s goal was deemed offside.   I paused it and went back over it and it never looked like she was on an offside position when the original ball was played or when the second ball came through to her.  At the very least, we should have been screaming for a VAR review.  Maybe I am missing something obvious but it really looked like a good goal to me.  

I only saw it once (and I was half-asleep at the time, because Nigel Reed literally put me to sleep in the first half) but it looked like she received the ball with just the defender on the line behind her (the goalkeeper for Japan was in front of her).

14 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I only saw it once (and I was half-asleep at the time, because Nigel Reed literally put me to sleep in the first half) but it looked like she received the ball with just the defender on the line behind her (the goalkeeper for Japan was in front of her).

I guess that is the part of offside that I find really odd.  The fact that you can have a defender between you and the goal and still be deemed offside because the keeper went walkabout seems wrong to me.  

13 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I watched the game on PVR and I am still not clear why Becky’s goal was deemed offside.   I paused it and went back over it and it never looked like she was on an offside position when the original ball was played or when the second ball came through to her.  At the very least, we should have been screaming for a VAR review.  Maybe I am missing something obvious but it really looked like a good goal to me.  

It looked like VAR did look at it as the ref had a hand up to pause the keeper from doing the goal kick.

I believe Beckie was only behind one player when Prince kicked the ball forward. Goalkeeper had moved up to catch the cross.  Not clear it would have gone in if Beckie didn't touch it. Last defender has a chance to clear it but it could have bounced back in.

This was bad coaching first but there were also some shocking performances. Priestman took way too long to make her subs and when she did they didnt really make sense. Like Quinn for Rose when we're leading while Fleming plays 90 minutes that were so tame Sinc had to create everything herself. Prince was gassed at the hour mark and should have come off for Leon or Rose then and not 20 mins later. Beckie looking slow and floating all but one corner (that one hit the side netting) at their keeper even though by the end of the game that had been scouted out. Buchanan caught out multiple times. Sheridan with some truly baffling positioning on their goal. And an anemic attack absolutely terrified of making any kind of incisive movement or actually take a shot. I think we have to give Herdman his due - he seems to know how to make national teams capable if scoring. The best the women have ever looked in attack was under him around the Brazil Olympics and the best the men have ever looked in attack, even without the best two players, is under him now. Both Priestman and Heiner Moller have us playing terrified. This was a game we absolutely should have closed out but we found a way to shank it.

I'm under no illusions about how good this team is compared to the US and the Euro sides. I figure the only way we're going to challenge for a medal, let alone gold, is by bunkering. But that means the forwards and attacking mids have to actually have decent patterns of play when they get the chance, and there's no evidence we have that any more. I don't see a path beyond the quarters unless something drastic changes.

7 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Sheridan only had the one thing to do after she came on and she fucked it up badly. Definitely 2 points dropped here.

Also, is it just me, or are Beckie and Fleming the two most overrated players in our program's history?

i don't mind fleming but i thought i was the only one who thought that about beckie. her goal tally is incredibly misleading.

just got the chance to watch the extended highlights.

on japan's goal: 1. our centre-backs were absolutely napping, that is unacceptable, 2. it looked like we had 3 back against japan's 3 strikers, up a goal,  with 7 minutes left..... tidy finish by the japanese strker tho, that was a clean take on the first touch.

edit: zadorsky absolutely misplayed the labbe injury play and the japan goal. she was in perfect position both times and completely misread the play in terms of postion of greatest danger.

our wnt is f*cked when sinclair hangs them up.

Edited by JohnnyFranchise