How to Make the Gold Cup Better.

gigi riva

Cold take but the tournament deserves to be exactly as good as the talent in the region. Guatemala sucks. Guatemala is also better than 30 teams in CONCACAF; they deserve to be in the tournament.

Think the best path forward is just make the Gold Cup every four years. It'd be more special and leaves more room for Nation's League/2-year World Cups/Copa Centenario type tournaments. 

The Gold cup is perfectly fine as it is.   The only change needed is that they cannot play it while the world cup qualifying is in progress because everyone will be focused on WcQ and end up treating the GC like a glorified freindly.   Which it is now.  

Other than that,  its fine as it is.  It can never be like the euros because North america is geographically, demographically and economically totally different from europe.  That means that the US is the only country that wants to host and that can host it.  Thats because the US is where you will get the most fans out for it.   Unlike the euros, The GC is not competitive  because  there are way way too few sides that can realistically expect to win, and there is too much disparity in the size of the countries (ie.:  demographically, economically, and geographically). 75% of concacaf teams are minnows whereas as in europe,  75% of teams are not minnows.  In europe you can easily travel to games, here its too expensive and too vast.

if you want a tournament with more prestige, it needs to be more competitive and to be more competitive you would have to merge it with Copa America and have one tournament for all the Americas.  Now you would have more than the same two teams in the final in every edition and you might interest the broadcasters to partner.

again, its fine as it is,  people need to chnage their expectations so that they are more realistic.  

Edited by Free kick

5 minutes ago, Free kick said:

The Gold cup is perfectly fine as it is.   The only change needed is that they cannot play it while the world cup qualifying is in progress because everyone will be focused on WcQ and end up treating the GC like a glorified freindly.   Which it is now.  

As i said, its fine as it is.  It can never be like the euros because North american is geographically, demographically and economically totally different from europe.  That means that the US is the only country that wants to host and that can host it because thats where you will get the most fans out for it.   Unlike europe, its not competitivenbecause there are way ways too few sides that can realistically expect to win, and there is too much disparity in the size if the countries (ie.:  demographically, economically, and geographically). 80% of concacaf are minnows whereas as in europe,  80% are not minnows.  In europe you can easily travel to games, here its too expensive and too vast.

if you want a tournament with more prestige, it needs to be more competitive and to be more competitive you would have to merge it with Copa America and have one tournament for all the Americas.  Now you would have more than the same two teams in the final in every edition.  

again, its fine as it is,  people need to chnage their expectations so that they are more realistic.   Instead of being euro wannabes.  

I don’t think people who want to see the tournament move around and run fairly while still being successful are merely “euro wannabes”.  That seems unnecessarily dismissive (and wrong).

It isn’t hard to see that giving the US home field advantage every single time isn’t exactly fair to the rest of the confederation.   Want proof?  Look at the way the game started last night.   That doesn’t happen if the US aren’t amped up by the home crowd (and our boys a bit intimidated).  And they have that advantage literally every game.

There is no reason why other countries couldn’t host it.  I get that the US is the biggest money maker, but to say that the US is the only one that can host it seems wrong.  Mexico has suitable stadiums and we could potentially do it now with the addition of an few high quality CPL stadiums.  Now maybe all parties are content with letting the US run the show.  But that is different than claiming they are the e only ones capable of doing so.   

11 minutes ago, Free kick said:

again, its fine as it is,  people need to chnage their expectations so that they are more realistic.   Instead of being euro wannabes.  

Right. We can only expect Mexico and the US to care about playing El Salvador and Haiti every so often. WCQ, NL, a Gold Cup every two years. Don't blame the Americans for leaving their best 15 players in Europe instead of risking them getting cleated by some random Panamanian for the fourteenth time this cycle.    

The problem isn't the Gold Cup. The problem is it's a tournament being held two years after the last one, a month after another CONCACAF tournament and two months before another CONCACAF tournament.

3 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Everyone mentions that the US is given home field advantage,  But DOES ANYONE ELSE WANT TO HOST IT? Have we ever read about anyone else being interested?   If someone else wanted to host,  why would concacaf want o say no.

The problem is that the vast majority of CONCACAF is actively hostile to anybody else holding it. Revenue is partially shared and the US makes all the minnows the most money. That and the fact that most CONCACAF nations have a  relatively large and well-off fanbase in the US. El Salvador will draw more fans in DC than in San Salvador. 

38 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Revenue is partially shared and the US makes all the minnows the most money. That and the fact that most CONCACAF nations have a  relatively large and well-off fanbase in the US. El Salvador will draw more fans in DC than in San Salvador. 

Thank you.  I dont know how many times i mentioned the same.

Many of the Central american countries have their fans based in the US moreso than in their home country. And thier fans in the US are far more economically advantaged (ie disposable income) than the fans in their home country.

Even Mexico, if it were permited,  they would play their home games in Los Angeles even in WcQ.  They already tried.  !!   It would make them more money.

Edited by Free kick

My suggestion is to hire European VAR officials who either are not incompetent liked the ones Concacaf is using or hopefully won't be subject to bribes. This comment is inspired not just from last night's match, but also seeing Panama got screwed big time against Honduras the day before with a goal clearly not offside. Granted, the Europeans made one major suspicious blunder in the Euros but they got a ton of other calls correct & did so quickly.

I would be on board with @SpursFlu's suggestion, and maybe the CONCACAF + CONMEBOL tournament would be enough of a money maker we could afford to move the Gold Cup around.

My main wishes are...

1. Every 4 years, and have qualifying that is not based on sub-regions (I am liking the Nations League qualification that was used this time around).
2. Move it around to different nations.
3. No guest teams.

Plus it would be nice if this whole pandemic thing could just end already so we wouldn't have to have things like Cuba dropping out of the preliminaries, Curacao dropping out of the tournament, and Haiti decimated.

Any combined tournament with South America (presumably with a goal to rival the Euros) needs to have a qualifying tourney IMO. I've seen lots of fans & pundits say do a combined tourney and just take the 10 teams from Comnebol with 6 teams from Concacaf who have to qualify and to me that's a load of donkey dung. No reason to gift wrap spots to the likes of Bolivia & Venezuela ahead of the better Concacaf teams

I don't mind the Gold Cup the way it is. I used to love that it was every 2 years because Gold Cup games were about the only games of value we played since we were always out of the WCQ early. I would love to sacrifice the every 2 years to 4 if we did some sort of America's Cup the other 2. If the Ocho is here to stay (as it should or even increased) then I'm confident we would always be in the final qualifiers moving forward.  

2 minutes ago, johnyb said:

I don't mind the Gold Cup the way it is. I used to love that it was every 2 years because Gold Cup games were about the only games of value we played since we were always out of the WCQ early. I would love to sacrifice the every 2 years to 4 if we did some sort of America's Cup the other 2. If the Ocho is here to stay (as it should or even increased) then I'm confident we would always be in the final qualifiers moving forward.  

i used to like the biennial tournament as well for the exact same reason you mentioned, but the advent of the nations league and the ocho negates the need for that. i am literally watching this year's tournament as an exhibiton tune-up for wcq.

that been said, there is value in it for non-ocho teams, and for ocho teams looking to get a look at some of their b-squad players.