GC: Canada vs Haiti - Thursday, July 15th, 7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific Kansas City

Just now, narduch said:

So the US needs to beat Martinique by six goals to overtake Canada in the standings. (Or by five goals if the score is 7-2, 8-3, 9-4, etc.) If they beat Martinique by less than six (or five) goals, a draw for Canada against the US will win the group.

Go Martinique!

Just now, Treppy2 said:

So the US needs to beat Martinique by six goals to overtake Canada in the standings. (Or by five goals if the score is 7-2, 8-3, 9-4, etc.) If they beat Martinique by less than six (or five) goals, a draw for Canada against the US will win the group.

Go Martinique!

This is a good point. If the US don't beat Martinique by 6, we only need a draw against them for 1st in the group.

2 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I don’t get the intentional yellow....if you don’t want to risk home getting a yellow against the US, just don’t play him. 

He could get a yellow vs USA and miss the QF... or a yellow in the QF and miss the semis.... not going to sit him in both games. Better to get the sussy against USA and have a clean slate for the QF game. 

1 minute ago, narduch said:

It makes sense because a yellow in the quarters would also keep him out of semis.

Now he has a clean slate.

But everyone was quoting the regs stated that the cards wipe out after the group stage - that isn’t the case then?

And job done.  Def some shaky moments but the subs solidified things and helped seal the win.  Definitely some positives. 

Tajon showing he is a threat not just against minnows.  Great sign for the future.  

Beauty free kick by Moustaquio.  Nice to know we have that in the arsenal.  

What an introduction by Akinola.  Pretty much his first touch involved winning a PK.  Looking forward to seeing him in years to come.  

Piette brings such a defensive presence and tenacity.  With a 3-5-2, I think we need him and Eustaquio as a defensive double in the middle.  Two CDM’s could be too defensively focused with some players but Eustaquio’s distribution ability should make this a non-issue.  

Larin has his critics but you can’t argue with the numbers he puts up.  

Laryea was a beast in his time on the pitch - at both ends.   Definitely a big player.     

Just now, BradMack said:

He could get a yellow vs USA and miss the QF... or a yellow in the QF and miss the semis.... not going to sit him in both games. Better to get the sussy against USA and have a clean slate for the QF game. 

No brainer.  Rubbish rule.

Just now, Gian-Luca said:

But everyone was quoting the regs stated that the cards wipe out after the group stage - that isn’t the case then?

after the quarter-fnals. they reset after the preliminary round, i think a bunch of people (like i did 😆) thought that meant the group stage, but that was the qualifying round that was played last week. 

Ya. The Preliminary Round was that mini tournament to decide the last 3 Gold Cup spots.

Just now, JohnnyFranchise said:

after the quarter-fnals. they reset after the preliminary round, i think a bunch of people (like i did 😆) thought that meant the group stage, but that was the qualifying round that was played last week. 

Vitoria suddenly aging 30 years aside we played and managed the game well. 

Not sure we can trust that back line to play for a draw against the states but its certainly a fixture everyone will raise their game too. 

Tajon simply is the real deal and on either side. Eustauqio was beastly. Lots to like about the performance beyond the defensive frailty. 

We had a serious rough patch but we came through it and were up to the task. That is another confidence builder to know we got through it.

Bring on the yanks and let's go full AYO!