Match Thread: July 7, 2021 - York United v Valour

7 hours ago, jonovision said:

Silva's a nightmare. How is he a professional?

Most of his first team level starting appearances have been for the Toronto Lynx in PDL or in the Swedish fourth tier by the looks of things so questionable that he has ever been up to starting at a fully pro level. Doubt there's much money left for a backup keeper under the CanPL salary cap so might be related to who is willing to sign and sit on the bench a lot for what's on offer in that context.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

7 hours ago, toontownman said:

All on Gale there. Just no need to drop the keeper. 

Possibly the worse CPL game I have watched. Players falling down, ragged passing, no real thought or tactical awareness or discipline. Almost as though these relentless 2 games a week with next to know pre-season and tiny squads is catching up with teams. 

Bit helter-skelter there for a lot of the match I thought, especially for Valour's middle.  A lot of the passing was poor as was the hesitancy during movements.  Both of those have to improve with each passing match.  Still, there will allways be "one of those matches".

That said, both teams do tease possiblity.  Brennan has to be happy but if he's counting on scoring goals like that all season to earn the wins he better think again.  Not going to happen. 

The more I watch Abzi, the more I see a player with decent-level European potential. If leftback weren't such a position of depth, I think he would be the one CanPL deserving consistent national team looks. His skills look like they would transfer well to a wingback role as well. He would've have fit in well with the TFC systems of old, but I think Kemar Lawrence may bog up that position for a few years.

Abzi is the type of player that possibly wouldn't have got the proper professional exposure if not for the existence of this league. It's working!

Coming into this season, I couldn't stand watching York, Valour or Edmonton play because it was simply a boring style of footy. All of those teams have completely changed my mind and become some of the best teams to watch.

On another note, I know this forum loves to rag on Wheeler, but I can't imagine how difficult it is to solo-commentate a CPL match. I thought that was a decent call from Wheels. 

8 hours ago, toontownman said:

Possibly the worse CPL game I have watched. Players falling down, ragged passing, no real thought or tactical awareness or discipline. Almost as though these relentless 2 games a week with next to know pre-season and tiny squads is catching up with teams. 

Its going to be interesting to see how Edmonton and HFX do this weekend having no mid week game.