Canada's "bad" defense

Obinna

3 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I know its a small sample size but Scott Kennedy seems to make a big difference. 

Looked good in the 3 games but still need to see more of him it’s unfortunate he could not play at the Gold Cup he is one guy that could have used the Gold Cup to gain more experience at the national level.

Just now, SoccMan said:

Looked good in the 3 games but still need to see more of him it’s unfortunate he could not play at the Gold Cup he is one guy that could have used the Gold Cup to gain more experience at the national level.

Honestly, I don’t think I need to see a lot more of him.  Vitoria looked pretty damn shaky tonight and Doneil was a mixed bag.  I think Kennedy steps into our starting defensive lineup when everyone is healthy.  

3 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

I do agree on the experience point, especially playing a 3, which requires some different awareness.  Shame he is not with the squad.  

I thought most of our problems on Défense were related to the midfield giving the ball away and putting us under pressure. Or Crepeau on one occasion. That being said, it wasn’t like they were great at covering that danger.  

of course, Vitoria had a shocking error that should have been a goal for them 

20 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I know its a small sample size but Scott Kennedy seems to make a big difference. 

One player out of three won't miraculously change a back 3 system and make the other 2 suddenly solid.  

4 minutes ago, costarg said:

One player out of three won't miraculously change a back 3 system and make the other 2 suddenly solid.  

There were mistakes all over the place including midfield but in my opinion, Miller looked the least comfortable in the system and when we played better version of the same team, a back 3 looked a lot more solid.

I would like to keep working this system if that is how we are going use Davies in WCQ. Tajon seems to be deputizing pretty well. 

I honestly didn't think Miller was that bad compared to what others think.  Maybe I need to re-watch the match again.  I saw both Henry and Vitoria give the ball away more (although as I said, most of that came from the midfield).  And Vitoria almost gifted them a goal and was terrible marking on their goal.

If we want to play out of the back, we need passing CBs Henry is not a passing CBs. Vitoria looked old out there today. Kennedy and Ferreira are our best passing CBs. Yes Ferreira played one game for Canada but if you watched him in club football you will see his skill. Again just made of glass. 

10 hours ago, An Observer said:

I honestly didn't think Miller was that bad compared to what others think.  Maybe I need to re-watch the match again.  I saw both Henry and Vitoria give the ball away more (although as I said, most of that came from the midfield).  And Vitoria almost gifted them a goal and was terrible marking on their goal.

I thought he was awful. Worst of the 3 last night by far.

Didn’t seem to think ahead when he was on the ball. Would attempt to break the lines, get closed down, and simply give away the ball or put others in compromising positions with gernade-like passes. Ball constantly got stuck on his side.

4 minutes ago, ag futbol said:

I thought he was awful. Worst of the 3 last night by far.

Didn’t seem to think ahead when he was on the ball. Would attempt to break the lines, get closed down, and simply give away the ball or put others in compromising positions with gernade-like passes. Ball constantly got stuck on his side.

Ask Orlando fans - Miller just doesn’t have the quality on the ball to be used in that way. Stick him in the middle of a back 4 and it’s not as big a deal though.

Like I mentioned in the match thread, it's good we made these defensive mistakes against Haiti so the team should be fully aware of the limitations present. We can't do this again against the USA. Dike will capitalize on said mistakes unlike the Haitians. 

11 hours ago, narduch said:

This might sound crazy but perhaps we should consider playing a traditional 4 at the back some times.

The 352 still is best suited for our crop of players. 

Our defence has consistently looked shaky when Vitoria and Doneil are lined up beside each other. Their skillsets don’t compliment each other. 

So a back four won’t make a difference to me, if it means the both of them in there. (2 of our best 3 cbs)

Miller is very left footed. I dont think he has attempted a pass with his right. If our mids did not give up the ball as frequently as they did last night our defenders would have performed better but I'm not sure 3 at the back given the players we have in this squad is going to work vs the teams we play in the next 2 matches. It's really unfortunate we are missing Kennedy as it would give JH a clear idea as to whether or not playing a 3-5-2 is the way to go into the Ocho.

5 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I think one of the issues we ran into defensively is the lack of a destroyer. Piette as soon as he came on was putting out fires quickly.

He did look good but coming on as a sub is very different than starting and playing the first 60/70 minutes. In any event, Piette probably starts vs the US

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

Ask Orlando fans - Miller just doesn’t have the quality on the ball to be used in that way. Stick him in the middle of a back 4 and it’s not as big a deal though.

We should go to a CB pairing at least once in this tournament. 

I don’t think Miller is a write off by any means. But we’ve got to use him in a way that creates a better performance than the one we saw yesterday.

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

He did look good but coming on as a sub is very different than starting and playing the first 60/70 minutes. In any event, Piette probably starts vs the US

With Moustaquio out for the US game (and yes, I am sticking with that) I don’t think there is any doubt about Piette starting. If he isn’t on the field at kickoff I would very much question Herdman’s thought process.  

The 3-5-2 scares me, given what I've seen. Perhaps with the crop for this tournament, that's all we can do, but with guys like Adekugbe and Johnston/Laryea, I don't see why we don't go with a back 4, with Kennedy and Vitoria/Henry as the CBs.