Match Thread: June 30, 2021 - Valour v HFX Wanderers

I didn't see the first half, but I don't think I've seen that much counterattacking ability from Valour in either of the first two seasons. I really like what Baquero brings to the table. AJB, as always, a beast. Who was partnering him most of the match?

Really nice counter attack goal.

Lots of real quality plays in this game, it honestly could have gone anywhere. HFX 0-2 but they'll ultimately probably be fine. Rampersad and JGL are good but they're not the all-action midfielder Sissoko is. I think he's the piece they really miss from last year. And hopefully Schaale isn't out too long

AJB is a dark horse candidate for defender of the year I think, he looks like an all-around rock back there every time I see him play. Wins everything, mistake-free, great leadership. It almost feels like Valour could have anyone play CB and they'd look fine next to AJB (which I hope I'm to some extent wrong about because we could really use Julian Dunn breaking out as a NT-calibre CB). I worried about Ricci's goal scoring a few months ago, but I'd forgotten just how good he is at every other part of centre forward play and he was robbed of a goal today by Oxner (not as robbed as Marshall was but I digress). He doesn't have to even score that much for Valour to have a good year if the defense remains this good anyway

Edited by DavemTFC

Bitter pill for Wanderers and fans. Feel for them. I am fine with no VAR but goal line tech is basic and should be an easy expenditure. Hope they change that. 

They need a boost at the weekend. Even if it's a draw. 

Good for Valour. They are going to need more in Midfield and Defense to keep up the momentum. That should come with Reyes, Galhardo and Bouka Moutou, if the latter two make it to fitness/in the country. Nice boost for Akio, still think they are too light up top but its working so far. Either way I know Valour fans will say they are due some good luck. 

Bit shocking neither the ref or the linesman called that goal by Marshall.  Some good saves at either end but also not the most flowing test.  

Has to be concerning losing Schaale like that.  Don't think it's serious but still, lots of footie in a short period on a plastic pitch these next few weeks.

Cebara beside AJB didn't look too bad, Pena bit gassed towards the end but solid night otherwise.  Not Rafi's best night as a destructive force but hey!   He didn't get booked.

Job done.  Lots of rest going into Saturday.  It's supposed to be 37 on just the thermometer.

7 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I didn't need a replay to know that was almost certainly a goal. Maybe the problem was the officials have never played the game to any huge extent.

Pause it at 1:46 and it's inconclusive whether that ball is over the line, or not. The fact that you're suggesting some kind of superior knowledge about football based on your assumption that the ball had crossed the line says more about you than about the officials. 🙄

14 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Pause it at 1:46 and it's inconclusive whether that ball is over the line, or not. The fact that you're suggesting some kind of superior knowledge about football based on your assumption that the ball had crossed the line says more about you than about the officials. 🙄

It's a bit sad that you're having a go at him when we all universally agreed that the ball went over the line...

1 minute ago, Ingham said:

It's a bit sad that you're having a go at him when we all universally agreed that the ball went over the line...

If you're saying that it 100% crossed the line based on that video, you probably lack a full understanding of the Laws of the Game. I'm not saying that it didn't cross the line, I'm saying that the video is inconclusive. And I'm saying that Ozzie/BBTB is a fuckwit. But I've been saying that about him for a long time, based on a lot more than whether this should have been a goal, or not.

3 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

If you're saying that it 100% crossed the line based on that video, you probably lack a full understanding of the Laws of the Game. I'm not saying that it didn't cross the line, I'm saying that the video is inconclusive. And I'm saying that Ozzie/BBTB is a fuckwit. But I've been saying that about him for a long time, based on a lot more than whether this should have been a goal, or not.

I know how you all feel about Ozzie. However, having a go at him for this seems unfair really. Most of us saw it as a goal. Perhaps I need to pause the video and check closely, but on first glance it looked like a goal to me.

Just now, Ingham said:

I know how you all feel about Ozzie. However, having a go at him for this seems unfair really. Most of us saw it as a goal. Perhaps I need to pause the video and check closely, but on first glance it looked like a goal to me.

Just because the part of the ball that's in contact with the ground is behind the line, doesn't mean it's a goal. The whole of the ball must be entirely across the line. This one is close enough that it really requires goal line tech to determine whether it's a goal, or not. Nobody can say it was 100% over the line from the video. The angle of the camera shot doesn't allow such a determination. 

11 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Just because the part of the ball that's in contact with the ground is behind the line, doesn't mean it's a goal. The whole of the ball must be entirely across the line. This one is close enough that it really requires goal line tech to determine whether it's a goal, or not. Nobody can say it was 100% over the line from the video. The angle of the camera shot doesn't allow such a determination. 

I know that rule and have always known it. It looked 100% behind to me. But I haven't seen close ups.

You definitely don't need to have refereed (been there done that so know it isn't easy) to know that rule. It's basic knowledge anybody linked to the sport should be fully aware of.

The best people to be top refs would be former players who know all the tricks and have struck a ball off a crossbar often enough in games and/or training from the time they were knee high to a grasshopper until into their early 30s to have the confidence to make the gutsy call on a split second decision like that.

That isn't who tends to get fast tracked by soccer associations to reach national level as a referee though as you basically need to have chosen refereeing over playing while still relatively young to make it through the system. 

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

3 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Moderator comment:
No need for the personal attack on here.  Don’t want to censor anyone and believe in a light approach on the moderation; we are all supposed to be adults here (or act like it).  Disagreement is fine; abusive language is not.

49 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

You definitely don't need to have refereed (been there done that so know it isn't easy) to know that rule. It's basic knowledge anybody linked to the sport should be fully aware of.

The best people to be top refs would be former players who know all the tricks and have struck a ball off a crossbar often enough in games and/or training from the time they were knee high to a grasshopper until into their early 30s to have the confidence to make the gutsy call on a split second decision like that.

That isn't who tends to get fast tracked by soccer associations to reach national level as a referee though as you basically need to have chosen refereeing over playing while still relatively young to make it through the system. 

Honestly, I see the sense in your overall argument in this post, but if there's anything that you don't need to understand by playing, it's seeing whether a ball crossed the line or not

5 hours ago, Ingham said:

Did we now???  100% of the ball??  Hmmm, seems like a split second call and even watching the replay in slow mo it looks like the impression the ball made on the turf was partially on the line.  Remember the germans are still complaining the got robbed in 66.  You win some you lose some..HEHEHE!!!!  

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Did we now???  100% of the ball??  Hmmm, seems like a split second call and even watching the replay in slow mo it looks like the impression the ball made on the turf was partially on the line.  Remember the germans are still complaining the got robbed in 66.  You win some you lose some..HEHEHE!!!!  

It's a Winnipeg thing.

"Nah, man.  I didn't see nuthin."

"Didn't see anything?  He ran right out the door you were holding open to get in and you "didint see nutting?"

"That is correct Constable Dinglenuts."

15 hours ago, DavemTFC said:

Honestly, I see the sense in your overall argument in this post, but if there's anything that you don't need to understand by playing, it's seeing whether a ball crossed the line or not

From my sort of perspective it's more about knowing instinctively from having been in the situation yourself as a player that a shot was coming that was going to go high rather than into the bottom corners and that the ball could easily spin back out of the goalmouth if it hit the crossbar based on how the player was likely to strike the ball and preparing in advance to look for the indications that it had crossed the line.

If you can't read the game to that extent, you are not going to be ready during the split second the decision has to be based on at which point the benefit of any doubt on the part of the officials has to go to the defending team and the course of the game is changed in a big way. 

over-the-line.jpg

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot