2021 CPL Predictions

Who wins the CPL this year?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who finishes first in the regular season?

• Atletico Ottawa
    • Cavalry FC
    • FC Edmonton
    • Forge FC
    • HFX Wanderers
    • Pacific FC
    • Valour FC
    • York United
  2. 2. Who wins the North Star Shield?

• Atletico Ottawa
    • Cavalry FC
    • FC Edmonton
    • Forge FC
    • HFX Wanderers
    • Pacific FC
    • Valour FC
    • York United

I think Forge's lack of pre-season will hurt them early on and allow Cavalry to build a sizeable lead after the kick-off and probably hold onto it for the full year. But come the playoffs I think Forge will be back in top gear and win the finals in Calgary.

Standings after kickoff:

1. Cavalry

2. Pacific

3. Forge

4. Atletico

5. Valour

6. Wanderers

7. Edmonton

8. York Utd

Regular season standings:

1. Cavalry

2. Forge

3. Pacific

4. Wanderers

5. Atletico

6. Edmonton

7. Valour

8. York Utd

CPL final: Cavalry 1-2 Forge

Basically I didn't want to pick Forge or Cavalry, and I couldn't delude myself enough to pick York United (my team), so I had to pick teams that I think will be among the best of the rest. I chose Pacific for the regular season and Wanderers for the playoffs.

I'll post two predictions, mine and one based on transfermarkt values.

Transfermarkt                                   Mine                                

1. Cavalry FC                                        1. Forge FC

2. Forge FC                                          2. Cavalry FC

3. Pacific FC                                        3. Atletico Ottawa

4. FC Edmonton                                  4. Valour FC

5 Valour FC                                         5. Pacific FC                                       

6. Atletico Ottawa                              6. HFX Wanderers

7. HFX Wanderers                              7. FC Edmonton

8. York United                                    8. York United

I think it will be tight up and down the standings, the success (or lack of) of the internationals signings could balance the scale for many teams.

I pick Cavalry for the Northern Shield.

I went a bit bold with mine, so let's break it down.

Regular Season

1. HFX Wanderers - Took a huge step forward last year, and JGL/Morey Doner address positions of need. 

2. Forge FC - Only reason I have them second in regular season is the lack of training. I think they'll grow as the season goes on and are still the team to beat. 

3. Valour FC - Building from the back has been successful in this league, and that's been the focus of their international signings. Kacher and Aleman are among the best wing threats in the league, and Ulloa and Akio have breakout potential.

4. Cavalry FC - Completely new defense with Northover, Mavila, and Zator gone. Losing a wide threat like Pasquotti is going to hurt them trying to link up with Oliver or Novak up top.

5.  Pacific FC - The backline is a bit of a question mark, but adding Aparicio will be huge for linking up the midfield and forwards. Really talented options for their front 3 with Blasco, Bustos, Diaz, Campbell and the new signings.

6. York United - Too bad we never got the chance to see a Gasparotto-Zator CB duo. A solid backline with Nsa and Zator being huge acquisitions, but there's nothing too flashy in front of it. Petrasso will need to continue his form from England.

7. Atletico Ottawa - Two months of training should help with the lack of familiarity in the squad. I fear chemistry might be lacking; at the same time signings like Telfer, Wright, Manella, Beckie could be top players in their position in the league.

8. FC Edmonton - I feel like they're missing an X Factor (was hoping Boakai would grow into that last year). Ongaro feels like he'll be relied on as a one-man army offensively unless Fraser Aird treats every game like he's in a friendly vs. Scotland.

Forge takes down Cavalry for the championship just like year 1, because why not.

13 hours ago, Kent said:

Basically I didn't want to pick Forge or Cavalry, and I couldn't delude myself enough to pick York United (my team), so I had to pick teams that I think will be among the best of the rest. I chose Pacific for the regular season and Wanderers for the playoffs.

Hey why not?  Nothing wrong with delusion, it is the large part of our reality on here.

5 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I don't know how people confidently predict which new players will shine, when they've probably never seen the majority of them play. I'm betting on Pa and the core of this Pacific team which I've watched for two seasons now. I don't have the slightest clue how dos Santos, Bassett, Lee etc will perform

Totally agree. This is not a league where certain teams have no chance to fight for the cup, every team has a strong chance. I firmly believe Pacific can take it.

I guess what irks me is that you look at the poll above and no one votes for Edmonton or York Utd. Vote for your frigging team guys.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Totally agree. This is not a league where certain teams have no chance to fight for the cup, every team has a strong chance. I firmly believe Pacific can take it.

I guess what irks me is that you look at the poll above and no one votes for Edmonton or York Utd. Vote for your frigging team guys.

<Insert "York United and Edmonton fans would vote for them, if those fans actually existed" joke here>