Driftwood feature on TSN Euros broadcast

BearcatSA

44 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I enjoyed that feature on the Drftwood youth soccer program narrated by JDG. 

Shane Lammie is great guy as well and he was a very good player in his day as well.  The Driftwood league is very well known in the Greater Toronto Area.  They great things for the youth and the community.

Yup if you have a child who is just starting off in soccer this is a great place for them to start off in. They also run a really fun indoor soccer league at the Driftwood Community Center gym in the winter. Like the documentary noted a lot of our current and even former players spent time playing their as kids. 

9 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Yup if you have a child who is just starting off in soccer this is a great place for them to start off in. They also run a really fun indoor soccer league at the Driftwood Community Center gym in the winter. Like the documentary noted a lot of our current and even former players spent time playing their as kids. 

Driftwood huh…if you’re not from there, you don’t go there.

The greatest soccer players have tended to come from areas people say that sort of stuff about. Good to see TSN highlighting a Canadian reality in the larger cities revolving around recent immigration and soccer that many of us have experienced that doesn't revolve around a certain brand of donuts and skating around a frozen pond in Saskatchewan. Nothing wrong with the latter but it has tended to be highlighted to the exclusion of the former.

7 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

...that doesn't revolve around a certain brand of donuts and skating around a frozen pond in Saskatchewan.

There's nostalgia for a bygone era for ya, where now parents with means fork out thousands and thousands of dollars for elite hockey schools and academies or specialized Russian power skating instruction in the hopes that their kids will play in the "big league."

If you haven't done so, I recommend that you read Selling the Dream by Ken Campbell and Jim Parcels.  Though focused òn hockey, I see way too much of the same thing happening in BC youth soccer at the moment, where parents are getting conned out of significant dollars by private academies.  Fun fact:  I believe only two born and bred BCers (Waterman and Baldisimo) made the 60 man selection for this Gold Cup.  The BCSA must be thrilled with that kind of output.

37 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

There's nostalgia for a bygone era for ya, where now parents with means fork out thousands and thousands of dollars for elite hockey schools and academies or specialized Russian power skating instruction in the hopes that their kids will play in the "big league."

If you haven't done so, I recommend that you read Selling the Dream by Ken Campbell and Jim Parcels.  Though focused òn hockey, I see way too much of the same thing happening in BC youth soccer at the moment, where parents are getting conned out of significant dollars by private academies.  Fun fact:  I believe only two born and bred BCers (Waterman and Baldisimo) made the 60 man selection for this Gold Cup.  The BCSA must be thrilled with that kind of output.

Great points. I'm also heavily involved at the youth level in BC and lament that fact on a regular basis. Remember when it was a standard thing that half the team was coming from Greater Vancouver and Victoria?

I also worry that the Caps must be responsible for at least some of the problem. With one operation having so much control over the highest calibre players, and the decisions made by those families, it's essentially a monopoly. Of they are churning out winner after winner it's one thing but I'm not seeing that happen at the other end of the development pipeline.