WCQ Away Game Travel

7 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Yup! True for me as well.

So you would go to San Salvador but not to Kingston or San Pedro Sula? Interesting.

When it comes to being neutral and peaceful, sure!

When it comes to foreigners hiding their money, that might be Panama! :D

i forgot about San Salvador  would not want to go there either,  As far as Panama doesnt FIFA have some of there Money hiding there also

5 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Sunday Sept 5 at 8 PM ET against USA in Nashville.  I'm seeing Westjet has two direct flights from Toronto earlier in the day.  Anyone else considering going?

I am but what will the quarantine restrictions be like in the US?  I’m still seeing 10 days quarantine on arrival. Hopefully they will be lifted by September?

Just to note Tennessee is one of the least vaxxed states. Too much hesitancy and/or don't believe in getting vaxxed.

Currently tied for sixth worst state for 1 dose at 42% for full population. Equally poorly ranked for fully vaxxed at only 35%.  The county where Nashville is in is at 44% for fully vaxxed

Canada 1 dose is 68% for full population. 35% for fully vaxxed with rates trending to be much higher by the end of July.

@red cardCovid thread talks…, because at this point it has no merit to anyone making a decision on travelling. Chances are, if you’re planning on leaving this year you’ll need to be vaxxed or face having to go to the concentration camps. If you plan on travelling, vaccination rates shouldn’t be a concern or else you’ll stay your ass at home - just a thought

I think @Shway 's point is valid.

To add to that,

The demographics of bigger cities like Nashville or Memphis tend to be very different from rural areas.

@red card

1) The vaccination rate in Davidson county is much higher than in the rest of the state. Higher than in many places in Canada right now.

https://data.democratandchronicle.com/covid-19-vaccine-tracker/tennessee/davidson-county/47037/

2) If you catch ( or spread ) COVID19 it's likely going to be from people you are in close contact with without a mask. That means fellow fans who are travelling down to the game or the person who removed their mask on the plane to have a snack.

---

On a personal note, having already visited Nashville + the fact that the match will be in an NFL stadium + travel costs + the TBD bureaucracy surrounding international travel means that I'm out.

For October, Mexico would have been nice but the "closed-door" sanctions killed that.

The Jamaica match, also in October, is during peak rainy / hurricane season. I have never been to Jamaica, but if I go, I'd try to hike the Blue Mountain but the weather is almost certain to be at its worst.

https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingston,_Jamaica

The direct flights from Canada also pick up in November.

---

2022 looks best and as @dyslexic nam advocates, I think Costa Rica in March will probably be the best away trip for most people.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

5 hours ago, red card said:

Just to note Tennessee is one of the least vaxxed states. Too much hesitancy and/or don't believe in getting vaxxed.

Currently tied for sixth worst state for 1 dose at 42% for full population. Equally poorly ranked for fully vaxxed at only 35%.  The county where Nashville is in is at 44% for fully vaxxed

Canada 1 dose is 68% for full population. 35% for fully vaxxed with rates trending to be much higher by the end of July.

Sounds like a perfect match for the Yanks to cap Nick Deleon

3 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I was doing some research and anyone thinking of heading down to Nashville will need to have a negative Covid test before you board the plane back.  That Covid test currently costs US $175; may want to budget that into it.

https://booking.sameday-testing.com/booking/tennessee--nashville--midtown

Wow, 175 bucks? What a money grab that is.

This may be helpful for anyone booking a trip for the Nashville game.

"Pick from one of these four eligible cities – Chattanooga, Knoxville, Memphis, or Nashville – and the flight to Tennessee could be on us. Be among the first 10,000 people to book a minimum 2-night stay in a participating hotel, and get a $250 airline voucher from one of the three participating airlines: American, Delta, or Southwest."

https://www.visitmusiccity.com/tennesseeonme

On 7/5/2021 at 6:27 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

On a personal note, having already visited Nashville + the fact that the match will be in an NFL stadium + travel costs + the TBD bureaucracy surrounding international travel means that I'm out.

I would bet this will be far and away the most attended road match, sure it's an NFL stadium(but for example - Costa Rica has a track around it and thus you'll be even further away from the action). For costs, it is basically driving distance(12 hours from Toronto-the centre of the universe) which if you carpool makes this trip very cheap(although hotels are not very cheap though!). From London(Ontario) it's 10 hours, I have done the trip before in one day. TBD international travel is a factor, but I don't think travel restrictions are going to increase. Also, as a tourist city, there is tonnes to do if you want to make a weekend of it. Idk, I'm not trying to convince others, but this is the best trip for me and I already have a group of ppl from London coming with me.

On 7/5/2021 at 10:14 PM, JamboAl said:

I was doing some research and anyone thinking of heading down to Nashville will need to have a negative Covid test before you board the plane back.  That Covid test currently costs US $175; may want to budget that into it.

https://booking.sameday-testing.com/booking/tennessee--nashville--midtown

The Covid testing to get in and out of any country is a money drain for sure....I found a place in Dallas when I fly back and forth that does Covid testing for 99$ and they turn the results around in 24 hrs and sometimes same day...thats as cheap as I've ever found for rapid testing....it adds up quickly especially if you are doing the testing on both ends of the trip

The president of Fesfut indicated that El Salvador could play its home games in LA, Washington or Houston for the Concacaf qualifiers. Apparently they prefer to have the public in the stands, than to play in the empty Cuscatlán stadium, due to the restrictions of the covid-19 in El Salvador, since public entry will be prohibited for 90 days. 

1 hour ago, xabuep2 said:

The president of Fesfut indicated that El Salvador could play its home games in LA, Washington or Houston for the Concacaf qualifiers. Apparently they prefer to have the public in the stands, than to play in the empty Cuscatlán stadium, due to the restrictions of the covid-19 in El Salvador, since public entry will be prohibited for 90 days. 

i'm guessing this will change by february which is too bad, playing in the states in february would be way better than san salvador.

It's too bad we don't play El Salvador away in either September or October. A neutral site would have been nice for our away match with them. Unfortunately for us, it looks like Honduras and Panama will benefit, as they're 2 of the 4 countries El Salvador have home matches with in the first 2 windows.

Edited by jtpc

Not sure if this has been brought up before (apologies if redundant), but it's possible we'll have to play in front of fans at Azteca after all:

"Adding insult to injury, the women's national team could be called upon to be a sacrificial lamb, as one of its upcoming matches in September could technically be used to fulfill part of the two-game fan suspension. A statement sent by FIFA to ESPN Mexico indicated that "The sanction refers to the two next official home matches to be played by representatives of the Mexican Football Federation independent of their category.""

So that would mean a women's game, plus the MEX-JAM game behind closed doors would serve the suspension.

Source: https://www.espn.com/soccer/mexico-mex/story/4428938/how-allegiance-to-an-anti-gay-fan-chant-at-mexico-soccer-games-might-sink-el-tris-world-cup-fortunes

5 minutes ago, maplebanana said:

Not sure if this has been brought up before (apologies if redundant), but it's possible we'll have to play in front of fans at Azteca after all:

"Adding insult to injury, the women's national team could be called upon to be a sacrificial lamb, as one of its upcoming matches in September could technically be used to fulfill part of the two-game fan suspension. A statement sent by FIFA to ESPN Mexico indicated that "The sanction refers to the two next official home matches to be played by representatives of the Mexican Football Federation independent of their category.""

So that would mean a women's game, plus the MEX-JAM game behind closed doors would serve the suspension.

Source: https://www.espn.com/soccer/mexico-mex/story/4428938/how-allegiance-to-an-anti-gay-fan-chant-at-mexico-soccer-games-might-sink-el-tris-world-cup-fortunes

That’ll totally make the fans stop the chant.

7 minutes ago, maplebanana said:

There is no fucking way FIFA allows that to happen

7 minutes ago, narduch said:

There is no fucking way FIFA allows that to happen

That quote is directly from FIFA:

16 minutes ago, maplebanana said:

A statement sent by FIFA to ESPN Mexico indicated that "The sanction refers to the two next official home matches to be played by representatives of the Mexican Football Federation independent of their category.""

So, unless FIFA changes their mind, or Mexico decides not to use the women's side as a sacrificial lamb, it looks like Mexico could field fans against us after all.

13 minutes ago, maplebanana said:

That quote is directly from FIFA:

So, unless FIFA changes their mind, or Mexico decides not to use the women's side as a sacrificial lamb, it looks like Mexico could field fans against us after all.

This is just the media being cheeky. FIFA won't let them get away with that.

Besides the Mexican FA already came out and said they wouldn't do that. I'm too lazy to hunt that down.