WCQ Away Game Travel

4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

The other thing I need to consider is what it would be like to take kids to an away game like this.  I would have the fam with me on this trip so would likely be trying to get them to see the game as well.   Curious if anyone has done something like this with kids in the picture or if it has solely been an adult activity. 

Ehhh, I'd be unlikely to bring my kids into an unknown match environment in CONCACAF.  However, my family isn't into watching sports and don't make the best company at sporting events.  Hell, my wife couldn't even stay still for the match in Orlando and wandered around for most of the second half.  🙄

1 minute ago, sstackho said:

Ehhh, I'd be unlikely to bring my kids into an unknown match environment in CONCACAF.  However, my family isn't into watching sports and don't make the best company at sporting events.  Hell, my wife couldn't even stay still for the match in Orlando and wandered around for most of the second half.  🙄

I will have to give it some thought.  The kids will be 14 and 16 at that time so I wouldn’t leave them alone in San Jose except maybe locked in a very safe hotel room.  And I doubt my wife lets me go to the game alone.   Taking them with me may be my only option.  Hmmm. Something to think about I guess.  

7 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

The other thing I was wondering is the possibility of finding out where the team will be staying when they travel so that supporter’s could stay at the same hotel. We did this by luck in Orlando and it was amazing to see them at the bar and wandering around the lobby.  

It was a complete (fortunate) coincidence.  I don’t think the CSA will tell us ahead of time.

29 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I will have to give it some thought.  The kids will be 14 and 16 at that time so I wouldn’t leave them alone in San Jose except maybe locked in a very safe hotel room.  And I doubt my wife lets me go to the game alone.   Taking them with me may be my only option.  Hmmm. Something to think about I guess.  

Costa Rica's stadium is rather modern - built in 2011.  I can't recall any stories about unruly Ticos at matches.  That one could be a possibility with teenagers. 

I've been to Costa Rica, but didn't spend time in San Jose. 

1 minute ago, sstackho said:

Costa Rica's stadium is rather modern - built in 2011.  I can't recall any stories about unruly Ticos at matches.  That one could be a possibility with teenagers. 

I've been to Costa Rica, but didn't spend time in San Jose. 

Yeah thanks.  We felt really safe almost everywhere in CR (we also spent almost all of the trip elsewhere).  And not that I would convert them into human shields or anything but I think the sight of kids would probably signal that we weren’t some trouble making hooligans.  

Having said that, my 15 yr old is almost 6’ 3” and the younger one will probably be close to 6’ by March, so it isn’t like they looks like toddlers...

38 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, I didn’t really think so, but at the same time maybe someone knows someone who might drop a hint...

In September, check the website of the Costa Rican FA, the Mexican FA, the Jamaican FA and the social media of the Mexican, Costa Rican and Jamaican players and FAs

Those are the teams that will be playing down there and you'll get an idea of where they are staying.

I'd say the most likely hotels would be:

If they want to be close to the stadium, likely the Hilton San Jose La Sabana.

If they want to avoid rowdy fans, I'd guess the Marriott Hacienda Belen.

Maybe the Courtyard Marriott by the airport for convenience.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

It was a complete (fortunate) coincidence.  I don’t think the CSA will tell us ahead of time.

Coming into it I actually expected the US team to be staying there based on how close it was to the stadium.

34 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Coming into it I actually expected the US team to be staying there based on how close it was to the stadium.

The Marriott was nice but don’t know how many of the US supporters decided to be closer to Disney World than downtown Orlando (especially ones with kids).   I was shocked to run into Cavallini in the elevator when I was dropping off my bags in the room.  

18 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

The Marriott was nice but don’t know how many of the US supporters decided to be closer to Disney World than downtown Orlando (especially ones with kids).   I was shocked to run into Cavallini in the elevator when I was dropping off my bags in the room.  

Haha my shock was running into Borjan at midnight on the night before the game out front of the hotel

On 6/18/2021 at 3:04 PM, Gian-Luca said:

Looks like no fans will be allowed into Mexico’s match against Canada as a punishment for their homophobic chant during the Nation’s league:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/mexico-ordered-to-play-two-home-world-cup-qualifiers-without-fans-after-homophob

I was hoping to go to this match but if it helps Canada then I will be happy top go another time. 

If we finish our home match on March 27th against Jamaica and there's a scenario where 3 points or 1 point from the final matchday made the difference between top 4 or not, I think a few of us would be looking up very last minute trips to Panama!

Edited by jtpc

On 6/18/2021 at 9:22 PM, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah thanks.  We felt really safe almost everywhere in CR (we also spent almost all of the trip elsewhere).  And not that I would convert them into human shields or anything but I think the sight of kids would probably signal that we weren’t some trouble making hooligans.  

Having said that, my 15 yr old is almost 6’ 3” and the younger one will probably be close to 6’ by March, so it isn’t like they looks like toddlers...

If you go as a visiting fan and the locals are unruly, they may not give a damn about kids. I have fond memories of going to see Barça away to Espanyol, at the Olympic Stadium, and having food and drinks thrown at us. My kid, who must have been 10, was unfazed. Why would they waste their snacks on us?

So is your wife really tall or something :) ?

36 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If you go as a visiting fan and the locals are unruly, they may not give a damn about kids. I have fond memories of going to see Barça away to Espanyol, at the Olympic Stadium, and having food and drinks thrown at us. My kid, who must have been 10, was unfazed. Why would they waste their snacks on us?

So is your wife really tall or something :) ?

I suspect it will be fine to take the fam - I may just have to sit a bit away from any hardcore Voyageurs who make the trip.   We will see. 

13 hours ago, gigi riva said:

I would love to go to all the away matches  but finanicial realty will never allow it.

Yup! True for me as well.

13 hours ago, gigi riva said:

the only places I will not want to go to would be San Pedro de Sula , Honduras , and Kingston Jamaica, the rest no problem

So you would go to San Salvador but not to Kingston or San Pedro Sula? Interesting.

10 hours ago, gigi riva said:

I agree Costa Rica is The Switzerland of Central America

When it comes to being neutral and peaceful, sure!

When it comes to foreigners hiding their money, that might be Panama! :D

Group size is certainly one of the main factors in away game experience. Three to five people or so can go through crowds with much more flexibility than anything that starts to be perceived as a group/'challenge'- around 10 or so. Anything on that bigger size needs a proper away space/oversight.

I was down for a CCL match at Cruz Azul where the tickets were given in lower bowl for some reason and with that group size of 12 you could hear the buzzing and comments rising as gametime approached and it would turn into a battle when we made any noise- which i don't prefer with the row right in behind and in front. After discussion we got moved to the proper isolated away section.

On the other hand, I went in with 4 others (hi guys!) to 2012 San Pedro Sula and our little group was mostly a curiosity for photos and friendly banter, surrounded by the 37,000.  I think we wound up on the opposite side as OM, but high up and we took space with our backs against the wall behind the top seats, so it was pretty good despite being in the midst of everyone without any police monitoring or separation. The main issue in that case was the terrible transportation, arranging for a taxi for 3 hours before but it showing up very late, the traffic conditions, etc. Keeping eyes open for any individual nuisance or theft was the priority as opposed to being a large group getting beers chucked at us, etc. No issues leaving, just waited a good long time for thinner crowds to pre arranged taxi van. Getting screwed by playing at 3pm means it was still daylight. Of course, they won so much easier to deal with the happy crowds I'm sure.

The Azteca escape is the police vans seemed to happen on the fly, but I heard another group down for CCL vs America had the same treatment, so it seems like it may be a semi-standard fallback.  Azteca is good as there is a set away section that is kept available for every game due to its massive size .With the sanctions looks like we won't have to plan for it though.

I'd be interested in hearing the reports from people who went to Panama in 2012, or others with any experience in San Salvador, Kingston, and San Jose venues.

Edited by Redpunkfiddle