Canada's Octo Schedule

TGAA_Star

Jamaica is excellent on paper, but behind the scenes they are in shambles.  The team is divided between the "UB40" English players being parachuted in, and not being committed to the program at all.  Nobody knows when or if Bailey or West Ham striker Antonio will actually show up. 

Worst of all is that the coach, Whitmore, has very little power over the team.  Rumour is he doesn't even get to select the players!  

If it were up to me...

Honduras (Home) (September 2nd, 2021) Toronto

El Salvador (Home) (September 8th 2021) Toronto

Panama (Home) (October 13, 2021) Toronto

Costa Rica (Home) (November 2021) Edmonton

Mexico (Home) (November 2021) Edmonton 

USA (Home) (January 30, 2022) Vancouver

Jamaica (Home) (March 27th 2022) (somewhere other than Toronto)

I doubt players wants to play in an artificial pitch, if they can't help it. 

I also think playing the game in the most horrid conditions for the opposition must be a thing. Moncton? Why not? (As long as they have a decent grass pitch)

CSA is also going to milk the home games as much as possible, because they don't have much money.

18 minutes ago, finchster said:

If it were up to me...

What I would change 

Honduras (9/2/21)- Toronto- BMO Field 

El Salvador (9/8/21)- Toronto- BMO Field 

Panama (10/13/21)- Vancouver- BC Place

Costa Rica (November)- Edmonton- Commonwealth Stadium 

Mexico (November)- Commonwealth Stadium 

USA- (1/30/22)- Vancouver- BC Place 

Jamaica- (3/27/22)- Montreal- Olympic Stadium 

Factors to be taken into account in deciding where the games will be played, in order of importance:

1. Grass surface 

2. Jet lag reduction

3. Nearby training facilities

4. Media centre 

5. Avoiding local away fan populations

6. Avoiding below freezing temperatures (cold weather will simply not benefit our squad used to milder European conditions)

Irrelevant Factors:

- "growing the game" by spreading games around the country (only winning grows the game)

20 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yes.   Wanderers grounds would be awesome - and the fans would absolutely rock it.  

The game against Jamaica would be nice at the Grounds. You could get 10K in there easily. 

Assuming we are still in the hunt, it's going to be a massive game. There is a real chance that Panama and Jamaica could be dead and buried by those last two games. 

I think it'll shape up like this....

Honduras (9/2/21)- Edmonton- Commonwealth Stadium

El Salvador (9/8/21)- Regina - Mosaic Stadium

Panama (10/13/21)- Toronto - BMO Field 

Costa Rica (November)- Vancouver/Edmonton - BC Place Or Commonwealth Stadium 

Mexico (November)- Vancouver - BC Place

Jamaica- (3/27/22)- Toronto - BMO Field

The only reason I don't have more Toronto games on here is because of COVID restrictions.

Canada Soccer won't want half full stadiums in September, that's why I chose Edmonton and Regina. Both provinces are going to be open for business with no restrictions and both have good stadiums. 

If Ontario can get their shit together then I could see an extra game or two in Toronto. 

Vancouver probably gets the green light for the winter games given they play in a dome. It's too bad Vancouver doesn't have a grass pitch. 

1 hour ago, finchster said:

If it were up to me...

Edmonton in November is too extreme

17 minutes ago, lenny said:

Let's not forget Victoria who quickly sold out the T&T game, leading to the second game being opened up to the public, before it was all cancelled by the pandemic.

Would love to go back to Victoria for a match but I don't see an Ocho WCQ game happening there. 

Edited by BearcatSA

My expectation is that all of the matches will be played in either Vancouver or Toronto.  The CSA has shown almost zero interest in hosting matches in any other cities.   The last time another city hosted a competitive CMNT match was all the way back in 2008, and I can recall only one friendly hosted elsewhere since then (in Montreal).

MAYBE if the CSA is feeling extra generous they will throw Montreal or (less likely) Edmonton a bone with a single match, but I wouldn't bet on it happening,

1 minute ago, spinrack said:

My expectation is that all of the matches will be played in either Vancouver or Toronto.  The CSA has shown almost zero interest in hosting matches in any other cities.   The last time another city hosted a competitive CMNT match was all the way back in 2008, and I can recall only one friendly hosted elsewhere since then (in Montreal).

MAYBE if the CSA is feeling extra generous they will throw Montreal or (less likely) Edmonton a bone with a single match, but I wouldn't bet on it happening,

It depends on provincial covid restrictions. If Alberta allows a large crowd and the other provinces don't come September, I'm sure they would play in Edmonton. Plus Davies being from there would guarantee a huge crowd (and huge advantage). If I'm CSA, I'm thinking very seriously about playing a game in Edmonton.

1 hour ago, ShaneC06 said:

I think it'll shape up like this....

Honduras (9/2/21)- Edmonton- Commonwealth Stadium

El Salvador (9/8/21)- Regina - Mosaic Stadium

Panama (10/13/21)- Toronto - BMO Field 

Costa Rica (November)- Vancouver/Edmonton - BC Place Or Commonwealth Stadium 

Mexico (November)- Vancouver - BC Place

Jamaica- (3/27/22)- Toronto - BMO Field

The only reason I don't have more Toronto games on here is because of COVID restrictions.

Canada Soccer won't want half full stadiums in September, that's why I chose Edmonton and Regina. Both provinces are going to be open for business with no restrictions and both have good stadiums. 

If Ontario can get their shit together then I could see an extra game or two in Toronto. 

Vancouver probably gets the green light for the winter games given they play in a dome. It's too bad Vancouver doesn't have a grass pitch. 

I actually like your list of where each of our home games should be played

48 minutes ago, frmr said:

It depends on provincial covid restrictions. If Alberta allows a large crowd and the other provinces don't come September, I'm sure they would play in Edmonton. Plus Davies being from there would guarantee a huge crowd (and huge advantage). If I'm CSA, I'm thinking very seriously about playing a game in Edmonton.

They almost owe Davies a game in Edmonton at this point. 

Virtually zero chance a WCQ game will be played in Regina unless they replace the surface with a new surface without sewn in grid iron lines. 

And even if they did that (I’d be shocked if they did) the chance would go from virtually zero to only minimally above zero. 

Toronto will get most of the games I suspect starting with the Sept games. Vancouver will likely get a colder weather game or three. Montreal will potentially alleviate scheduling issues so might get a game. Doubt there will be games anywhere else but it might happen. 

14 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

Toronto will get most of the games I suspect starting with the Sept games. Vancouver will likely get a colder weather game or three. Montreal will potentially alleviate scheduling issues so might get a game. Doubt there will be games anywhere else but it might happen. 

At this time, I am predicting only one game in Vancouver (Jan 30).