Jump to content

WCQ: Canada vs Haiti - Tuesday, June 15th, 9pm Eastern / 6pm Pacific - SeatGeek Stadium, Chicago area


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Bdog said:

A few things to maybe calm the nerves:

- We just had a similar situation happen against Suriname. We needed to tie or win to advance (ignoring the unlikely 1-0 loss scenario here), we ended up smashing them. The pressure was probably even higher for that game against a better team on paper.

- The ball should move much better on this field, we should be able to create a lot more chances this time. I’m sure if Larin and David get similar chances, they’ll finish them. 

- Haiti missing their keeper and a few others is a big loss, their depth is already nowhere near ours as it is.

- A lot of guys didn’t have great games in leg one, the heat was probably a big part. I can see Davies and David repeating what they did against Suriname. 

I think the key for us will be to play quickly between the lines. That is how we carved Suriname apart. Although Haiti are younger and more athletic, I have confidence we create chances and score at least some of them.

Gonna say 2-0 or 3-1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Hopefully it doesn't motivate them to fight harder.

Personally I think they had all the motivation to play prior to this and this situation has mostly rattled them and turned them against their own federation. We shall see

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Carnejy Antoine will be replaced by Nazon -- I think even partially fit, Nazon is better, and was probably going to start anyway. However he is a big boy and perhaps he would have been useful in a late game, launch the ball frantically in the box situation.

Never seen Josue Duverger but not out of the realm of possibility he is quite good. Placide is captain and made a couple decent saves in the first leg, but he was frankly at fault for the goal, and the little I've watched of him I have always felt he looks shaky.

Alex Christian Junior is I think the biggest loss. Seems like a sure starter for Haiti and always look solid to me. His apparent replacement (Ashkarov) doesn't necessarily have the best pedigree.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Ngravs said:

Personally I think they had all the motivation to play prior to this and this situation has mostly rattled them and turned them against their own federation. We shall see

I could see them pushing harder in spite of their association, at least in the first half. They have nothing to lose so they might as well go for it. Being handicapped may even take away what little pressure is on them. If we score first though I can see them crumbling.

Edited by Obinna
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, umpiredice said:

Bad news for Haiti but good news for us, I guess.  I can't watch the match live because my family is taking me out for my 60th tonight, so now I'm torn between just reading the result after or staying up after midnight to watch the replay on One Soccer and being a zombie at work tomorrow.  Whatever, because I'm 60 today, I'm predicting 6-0 for Canada.  Allez Les Rouge!

Happy Birthday!   I turn 60 in November this year.  I'm hoping for an Ocho win as a birthday present!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Carnejy Antoine will be replaced by Nazon -- I think even partially fit, Nazon is better, and was probably going to start anyway. However he is a big boy and perhaps he would have been useful in a late game, launch the ball frantically in the box situation.

Never seen Josue Duverger but not out of the realm of possibility he is quite good. Placide is captain and made a couple decent saves in the first leg, but he was frankly at fault for the goal, and the little I've watched of him I have always felt he looks shaky.

Alex Christian Junior is I think the biggest loss. Seems like a sure starter for Haiti and always look solid to me. His apparent replacement (Ashkarov) doesn't necessarily have the best pedigree.

I had looked up Ashkarov earlier after seeing he was the potential replacement. Seems crazy that a guy playing in NISA would be starting such a big match for a mostly decent team by CONCACAF standards

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Wouldn’t it be the US (and not Canada) that would be demanding the tests? 

That second part refers to the timeline in which the test are due. That seems to be a a FIFA thing. Weird complaint. It seems like the CSA were trying to be more strict even than FIFA.

@Fullback @Stryker911 @Floortom @dyslexic nam , it's the first part that is strange to me.

The CSA requested extra stadium &/or field access passes from the FHF and the CSA seems to not want to return the favour?

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Web translators always deliver the gold...

"Their request is illegal and looks like a no-effects psychological attack since our pomegranates promised to get high on the field of play and qualify for the third phase of these playoffs to the Haitian people."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

That second part refers to the timeline in which the test are due. That seems to be a a FIFA thing.

@Fullback @Stryker911 @Floortom @dyslexic nam , it's the first part that is strange to me.

The CSA requested extra stadium &/or field access passes from the FHF and the CSA seems to not want to return the favour?

I have 2 theories:

1) This is all BS to take the heat off the FHF and galvanize their squad after their own massive F up.

2) They messed around with us on the trip to Haiti and we're returning the favour re: testing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hard to have much sympathy for them after they force a game in Port-au-Prince when most other nations are playing in the States.  They force Canada's players to travel into Haiti after another team's bus gets jacked and they have no vaccination going on and now play the victim when the States doesn't let their guys back in.  They pressed their own advantage and suffered for it, now playing the victim.

That said I don't see any huge losses for them, their new keeper will be pumped up for this game and his first big chance let alone the fact that it is against his actual birth and childhood country.  What he is thinking switching to Haiti is puzzling though, he'd be in his age group teams with Canada.

He actually seems to be Canadian and I'd put his odds of playing in a WC with Haiti at slim to none.  Though I guess he will get more caps.

Edited by Footscray
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ngravs said:

 

This was tweeted 18 hours ago so I think anyone could've heard rumblings haha. Surprised it wasn't news yesterday. 

*I have to admit that is a heartbreaking picture. Can't imagine Davies Borjan and Osorio pictured watching their teammates cross the border to play the biggest game of their lives. 

They posted after this saying they were coming. Does anyone actually know?

 

Untitled32.png

Edited by Hawkguy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

They posted after this saying they were coming. Does anyone actually know?

 

Untitled32.png

Stop looking at the randoms and look at the posts by the FHF. Or if you want to look a media sources, look at reliable sources like the Nouvelliste (the equivalent in Haiti of the National Post / Globe & Mail / La Presse )

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let our boys focus on the game and taking it to the Haitians.  All this white noise will be dealt with by staff.
And f’ em.  Canada many times has ended up on the short end of the Concacaf stick and it’s balancing out now.  Now we just need the team to get out on the front foot and get the first goal.  When they need to open up and get 2, it will give our stars more room and we will be able to pop in the 2nd which would effectively kill off the game and get us to the promised land.  
The thought of our team getting 14 highly competitive games in the next year is a dream.  Hopefully we would be able to tread water for the first few, as I feel after a couple competitive games we will be much better and maybe finish strong to grab one of the top 4 spots.

Allez les Rouges!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I’m sure they will use this as motivation and spin it as “it’s the Canadians’ fault !”

It sounds like it is the CSA's fault. No spin required and yes, that would motivate them. 

Regardless of the motivations of the CSA for doing this, I hope it doesn't blow up in our faces by galvanizing them.

46 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Wouldn’t it be the US (and not Canada) that would be demanding the tests? 

That's not how I am reading it:

Canadians demanded the results of Covid-19 tests from the Haitian delegation in advance, before the field recognition session the day before the game

The US would only demand tests upon entry to the country. They wouldn't care about match protocols, etc. Furthermore, our players would have to get those same tests upon entry. This sounds more like the Cayman Islands needing to report testing results before our match with them, so not really an immigration issue.

39 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I have 2 theories:

1) This is all BS to take the heat off the FHF and galvanize their squad after their own massive F up.

2) They messed around with us on the trip to Haiti and we're returning the favour re: testing.

Could be number 1 but it would be more so about the public image of the FHF at that point. The players would be in the know regardless, so this news wouldn't galvanize them anymore than usual, unless you are suggesting the FHF are testing their own players ahead of time and framing the CSA for it, which would be hard to believe, clearly.

As for number 2, there is no indication they messed around with us, plus if we are indeed using covid testing as a weapon, that is pretty low and although some may take no issue with it (because concacaf), I would consider that to be very unsportsmanlike, although I kind of figured some nations would start using covid as a weapon eventually.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Stop looking at the randoms and look at the posts by the FHF. Or if you want to look a media sources, look at reliable sources like the Nouvelliste (the equivalent in Haiti of the National Post / Globe & Mail / La Presse )

Settle down. I was just quoting the same source that person quoted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Footscray said:

Hard to have much sympathy for them after they force a game in Port-au-Prince when most other nations are playing in the States.  They force Canada's players to travel into Haiti after another team's bus gets jacked and they have no vaccination going on and now play the victim when the States doesn't let their guys back in. 

Did they really do much forcing? If so that's news to me. Every country is going to want to host at home, even during a pandemic and civil unrest. If you are not cool with them hosting (which you shouldn't be), it would be FIFA you'd have to look at, not Haiti. The FHF are not going to voluntarily give up their right to host games. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

It sounds like it is the CSA's fault. No spin required and yes, that would motivate them. 

Regardless of the motivations of the CSA for doing this, I hope it doesn't blow up in our faces by galvanizing them.

That's not how I am reading it:

Canadians demanded the results of Covid-19 tests from the Haitian delegation in advance, before the field recognition session the day before the game

The US would only demand tests upon entry to the country. They wouldn't care about match protocols, etc. Furthermore, our players would have to get those same tests upon entry. This sounds more like the Cayman Islands needing to report testing results before our match with them, so not really an immigration issue.

Could be number 1 but it would be more so about the public image of the FHF at that point. The players would be in the know regardless, so this news wouldn't galvanize them anymore than usual, unless you are suggesting the FHF are testing their own players ahead of time and framing the CSA for it, which would be hard to believe, clearly.

As for number 2, there is no indication they messed around with us, plus if we are indeed using covid testing as a weapon, that is pretty low and although some may take no issue with it (because concacaf), I would consider that to be very unsportsmanlike, although I kind of figured some nations would start using covid as a weapon eventually.

Herdman said in an interview that they already did something similar to us. They made us test twice. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...