WCQ: Haiti vs Canada - In-Match Thread

Big_M

1) The field is an absolute joke.  Turf at this level is embarrassing.

2) Not too many times can you say both Davies & David were two of the worse players on the pitch for Canada.  I expect more from both in the 2nd half.

3) Let's focus on getting another goal or two and take a decent aggregate lead back to a real pitch.

Observation.

Is there a reason they have to show the 4th official displaying the suggested stoppage time?  Do they think the viewers in TV Land won't believe the announcement otherwise?  I don't get it.

OK, if it's part of the collective agreement with the officials union, great, whatever.  Otherwise, don't bother.

As you were.

Just now, BearcatSA said:

Not sure how much watering this pitch will make a difference to start the half.  Longer forward passes on the deck haven't been that good.

You should absolutely be watering this pitch, at the start and at the half.

In warm weather on a pitch with u-11s playing they will always do it in Spain, I mean: they do it for kids because it is standard practice, on every field I have ever seen. Now Haiti has the prerogative to handle the field as they wish, but still, it's a WCQualifier, they have to ensure a minimum treatment of it. Canada should have insisted it be watered, I think we do have that right.

1 minute ago, Cheeta said:

Observation.

Is there a reason they have to show the 4th official displaying the suggested stoppage time?  Do they think the viewers in TV Land won't believe the announcement otherwise?  I don't get it.

OK, if it's part of the collective agreement with the officials union, great, whatever.  Otherwise, don't bother.

As you were.

Sometimes there's a sponsor on the board 

Just now, Unnamed Trialist said:

In warm weather on a pitch with u-11s playing they will always do it in Spain, I mean: they do it for kids because it is standard practice, on every field I have ever seen. Now Haiti has the prerogative to handle the field as they wish, but still, it's a WCQualifier, they have to ensure a minimum treatment of it. Canada should have insisted it be watered, I think we do have that right.

It should definitely be watered but I think in these conditions the effects won't last long so both teams will be dealing with a tough surface for large part of the seond half.

4 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Observation.

As you were.

Biggest pet peeve of mine.  So stupid.

Anyone who has watched soccer knows that there's usually some extra time and can listen to the commentator or look at the scoreline and look for the +# to see how much time is left.

It's not like when the time clock goes past 45' I start freaking out about how time has no meaning...

So glad we got that away goal. 

Would love another away goal in the 2nd half. 

As much I enjoy quality footy, it's all results oriented for this match. 

Those that watched the Nicaragua vs Haiti match will know, the field is in 100 times better shape tonight. It went from a flood zone to a sand beach it seems. 

Is what it is. Let's keep rolling and put together a quality 45 here. 

- Ref sucks

- The heat and bad pitch are slowing us down for sure

- This result holding wouldn’t be the worse thing but we should still be able to grab another goal or two with the quality we have

- Larin and David are a bit too isolated up top, we’re having trouble getting the ball to them. 

7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

By the looks of the clouds in the background when replays are shown that might not be necessary!

2 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Incisive and penetrating, if not a tad extraneous. Eat more cake!

"Annnnnnnnd, the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon,
little boy blue and the man on the moon.
When ya coming home dad? I don't know when,
but we'll get together then...."

<sobs>

We're leading away in CONCACAF and had the two stand out chances of the half. Solid enough

I am a bit worried that for all our possession we've hardly been near the Haiti goal. Haiti have gotten closer to ours more than we have theirs despite not creating any real chances yet. Unlike Suriname, they always seem like a threat.

We were leading in the Gold Cup. This time let's keep that lead

8 minutes ago, devioustrevor said:

We gotta change up our passing.  Our passing is relying on the expectation of a good pitch, but can't count on the bounce of this field.  Maybe we need to through on some more quickness in the likes of Corbeanu and Buchanan and play a little more direct.

I think thus pitch is very unfriendly to fast dribble players.