WCQ: Haiti vs Canada - In-Match Thread

Big_M

5 minutes ago, gator said:

Why would they be showing one of the worst moments in Canadian Soccer history after a nice result which sets us up nicely for the return leg? WTF?

Just now, Fullback said:

Yeah I needed a trigger warning for this segment. That game will haunt me forever. I was 16 and skipped school to watch it. Didn’t even get punished when I told my parents what happened, the game was punishment enough

On the one hand: really nice to hear from Hart and Hume about that day.  Impressed with Hart.  I had already walked out of Grace O'Malley's before that post-game interview with Madani.  Didn't know he took full responsibility.

On the other: what the fuck?  I don't need to see that again.

6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

A few quick things before I shut it down for a while. 

- Despite limited minutes today, Tajon is really looking like a guy who has moved from prospect to the real deal. To be honest, I didn’t think he would make the jump this quickly but I think he will be pushing his way into our match day squad more and more.  Getting starts will always be hard with our attacking lineup but he has years and years ahead of him and his ceiling is looking higher all the time. 

- Kennedy is really making me feel better about our CB situation.  He is really composed on the ball and is looking like a solid starter for us.  Like Tajon, he has a long time ahead of him.  

- Not the best game from our double D’s but Davies was likely getting frustrated from the treatment he was getting all night.  I am willing to cut them some slack.  

- Eustaquio is a huge addition.  He is a top class baller   Big get for our program.

- After getting an away win in Haiti and when we just need to get one more result, why in the name of god is One Soccer choosing to show a piece on the ducking 8-1 debacle right now. Timing folks...

Totally agree on Tajon. I feel like he has such a swagger and confidence that we don’t often see out of our players. Has me super excited for his future. Sky is the limit imo

1 minute ago, Fullback said:

Totally agree on Tajon. I feel like he has such a swagger and confidence that we don’t often see out of our players. Has me super excited for his future. Sky is the limit imo

An eye catching project to be sure.  Ways to go but I'd invest.  

And since I was critical of Eustaquio's early play against Suriname, credit due today.  Very good performance.  One of a couple of players I'd suggest for Canada's MoTM.

5 minutes ago, Fullback said:

And a guy whose skill set and profile might be a legit fit for the EPL some day. Not to get a head of ourselves, mind you

would have liked a wider margin of error, but this is CONCACAF, and the pitch made it very difficult for the team to play the free flowing football they want to play, so a win is excellent here. Most important is that they were able to manage a 1-0 win here in a very chippy/chaotic game that was benefitting Haiti. I expect Canada is able to play better in the away game on a proper pitch.

9 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

On the one hand: really nice to hear from Hart and Hume about that day.  Impressed with Hart.  I had already walked out of Grace O'Malley's before that post-game interview with Madani.  Didn't know he took full responsibility.

On the other: what the fuck?  I don't need to see that again.

One of the proudest moments of my life was that match.  No innocent pint glasses were harmed to the surprise of many.  Myself included. 

2 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

An eye catching project to be sure.  Ways to go but I'd invest.  

And since I was critical of Eustaquio's early play against Suriname, credit due today.  Very good performance.  One of a couple of players I'd suggest for Canada's MoTM.

Eustaquio was excellent, as he was in the second half vs. Suriname. He's stronger as a #6, clearly. Controls the midfield, links well with Kaye and forwards.  We are finding the future of our midfield with these young guys, which is good news considering Hutch and Arfield are getting a little long in the teeth.

Not even Mexico or the US would have  been   able to play the ball on that field. Skill and precision passing was negated by the sticky pitch. It suited a hoof and run game and with big forwards who looked like NFL linebackers.... well suited for Haiti. Professional win for Canada. Congrats to Herdman and the boys. Looking forward to Chicago and a pro field.

6 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

On one hand, Haiti definitely didn't deserve a draw. We had the 3 best chances of the game. On the other hand though, I don't think the conditions will be much better in Honduras or El Salvador, and we're not gonna get away with being as sloppy as we were.

I can't remember a field being as slow as today though. Would rather a hard fast surface..even a bit bumpy. Don't FIFA have reps for each game to monitor conditions etc? This was not a good stage for 2 of the brightest stars in  Concacaf. Our confederation is a joke

9 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

On one hand, Haiti definitely didn't deserve a draw. We had the 3 best chances of the game. On the other hand though, I don't think the conditions will be much better in Honduras or El Salvador, and we're not gonna get away with being as sloppy as we were.

Only thing that I’ll say is a more talented team like a Honduras or a say Panama if they make it at their home field with fans in the stands and a shitty field will have the talent to score goals against us at their home field . So if Canada makes it to the Oct , they will need to play better , a performance like today even though it worked in Haiti won’t work in Honduras, or say Panama if they make it.

3 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Only thing that I’ll say is a more talented team like a Honduras or a say Panama if they make it at their home field with fans in the stands and a shitty field will have the talent to score goals against us at their home field . So if Canada makes it to the Oct , they will need to play better , a performance like today even though it worked in Haiti won’t work in Honduras, or say Panama if they make it.

The only way to play better on a poor surface  is to play hoof ball. So perhaps JH has to incorporate that into his tactics...which kinda sucks