2021 Concacaf League

22 hours ago, Jedi Ram said:

Now that both teams have been kicked off the competition...

What does it mean for the rest of the tournament ? Winner of Guastatoya or Alajuelense gets a straight path to the semis and essentially guarantee a berth into Champions League ?  

How much as Forge's chances improved of qualifying for the Champions League given that there are now essentially 7 teams left in QF ? Unlike last year, there is no playoff from losing QF to play for the last 2 berths, it is based on standings with usual tiebreakers.

Good point about the 7 QF now.

Thought they were doing the play in game again

9 hours ago, Trois Reds said:

Alajuelense must be kicking themselves. They lost to the last placed team in Guatemala. Guastatoya has one win in all comps this year.

And if they had won, they would have waltzed right into the semi finals and the Champions League due to the disqualified teams.

For a minute I was thinking we could know if Forge qualify for the Champions League by the end of tonight. But then I realized that points gained in the quarter finals will go towards the ranking of the top 6 teams as well. We will have to be a bit more patient, but these would be good results for Forge.

Real Esteli win
Universitario draw Motagua
Plaza Amador win
Santa Lucia win
Alianza win

Those results would have all those teams on 3 points or less, with Forge on 4 points so far. Draws in any of those games or a win for either Universitario or Motagua would have the advancing team tied with Forge on points. Losses for the teams I am hoping win, would mean Forge is behind the team that won... if that makes sense.

P.S. The CCL qualification standings are on the wiki page here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_CONCACAF_League#Qualification_to_CONCACAF_Champions_League

Edited by Kent
Added P.S.

On 9/28/2021 at 9:22 AM, narduch said:

Good point about the 7 QF now.

Thought they were doing the play in game again

In a normal year, yeah they would have as it would added money from the attendance for clubs and CONCACAF...

But with lack of open dates and playing this late into 2021...

I am still waiting to see if CONCACAF will change the rules of standings or in competition in general for qualifying the best 6, but doesn't look likely and will maintain status quo.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, gator said:

Marathon lose 0-2, if I am understanding this correctly Forge have to maintain a better goal differential than Marathon in the 2nd leg to advance even if they lose the tie?

Forge need to finish ahead of Marathon in the 'table' of results from the Round of 16 forward. Currently they are 1 point up on Marathon. So any win against Santos will see them through to Champions League, even if they don't advance. If Forge ties they can still advance if Marathon ties or loses their next match. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_CONCACAF_League

The top 6 teams advance.

image.png.e7650a9bcf67753d5bca6be6ffced17c.png

• 2 weeks later...

The schedule and travel for Forge are ridiculous, squad depth will really be put to the test and as they opinied on OneSoccer it makes finishing first in CPL that much more important for Forge! Browne has been called for Panama so he will miss some key matches, I think the squad we see in the home leg of the Concacaf semi final will be dependent on whether Forge are in the CPL final on the Saturday after! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Comunicacions won their first CONCACAF League title last night, and the first win for Guatemala as well. Now Guatemala (once), Costa Rica (three times), and Honduras (once) have all won the title. Motagua lost in the final for the 3rd time! They lead all teams in finals appearances, but have no championship to show for it yet. Saprissa is the only other team to make it to the finals twice in the competition's 5 year history. Saprissa have 1 win and 1 loss in their 2 finals appearances. No teams have won it all twice. Comunicacions was actually the first finalist that isn't from Honduras or Costa Rica.