2021 Concacaf League

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, narduch said:

I assume this latest news in Ontario means Forge will be able to host their home legs in the tournament.

I think that would still be dependent on the feds opening up the border as well. Sure you can have a game with 25% capacity, but if the players are quarantining in a hotel it doesn't do you much good. Especially, what happens if the players coming over aren't vaccinated? Still some hurdles to jump over before Forge can realistically host CONCACAF League games unfortunately.

16 minutes ago, Kent said:

I think that would still be dependent on the feds opening up the border as well. Sure you can have a game with 25% capacity, but if the players are quarantining in a hotel it doesn't do you much good. Especially, what happens if the players coming over aren't vaccinated? Still some hurdles to jump over before Forge can realistically host CONCACAF League games unfortunately.

The dirty secret not many people know about is that the federal government has a lot of quarantine exemptions.

Believe high performance sport is one of them.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

The dirty secret not many people know about is that the federal government has a lot of quarantine exemptions.

Believe high performance sport is one of them.

Yeah, that is a definite possibility. The NHL is blazing a trail right now in terms of sports, but we don't know if that means a hypothetical unvaccinated soccer team would be allowed to skip quarantine or not. I'm just not counting chickens before they've hatched. I hope it doesn't take too long before the MLS teams and the Jays start playing games in their home stadiums in front of some number of fans.

3 hours ago, Kent said:

Yeah, that is a definite possibility. The NHL is blazing a trail right now in terms of sports, but we don't know if that means a hypothetical unvaccinated soccer team would be allowed to skip quarantine or not. I'm just not counting chickens before they've hatched. I hope it doesn't take too long before the MLS teams and the Jays start playing games in their home stadiums in front of some number of fans.

And there you have it. Forge will be hosting their match.

• 4 weeks later...

Well so much for that, the game won't be played at home now:

Concacaf announced Friday that both legs of Forge FC’s 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf League Preliminary Round matchup against Club Deportivo Futbolistas Asociados Santanecos (C.D. FAS) will now take place at Estadio Cuscatlan in San Salvador, El Salvador on Thursday, August 12 at 8 p.m. EDT and Tuesday, August 17 at 10:15 p.m. EDT.

There is so much inconstancy here, I know it was FIFA not CONCACAF but our national team was forced to play in a country experiencing political unrest days before the leader was assassinated and after a foreign team had been held up by machine gun toting bandits and we can't host a match at home, I suppose the federal government played a part in this as well! I am not happy at all, I was so looking forward to this international match and as previously mentioned this may not bode well for hosting WCQ!

This is so frustrating. Sorry if this is too political but what difference are a team + staff of 30ish people going to do when arriving in a country of 37 million? Hockey players can cross the border because NHL. Basketball players can cross the border also. It's just unclean soccer players that can't?

The other thing is, did something change or did Forge just announce they would play at home without actually confirming they were allowed? Someone looks bad either way.

11 hours ago, Kent said:

This is so frustrating. Sorry if this is too political but what difference are a team + staff of 30ish people going to do when arriving in a country of 37 million? Hockey players can cross the border because NHL. Basketball players can cross the border also. It's just unclean soccer players that can't?

The other thing is, did something change or did Forge just announce they would play at home without actually confirming they were allowed? Someone looks bad either way.

The MLS teams have been cleared to cross the border, so its not just "unclean soccer players" now. I would guess that the countries involved is what's playing a factor here.

Yes, I would guess that Forge just announced they were playing at home without confirming it. Much like how TFC and Montreal did the same thing and then got Exemption status just before the games.

6 hours ago, Watchmen said:

The MLS teams have been cleared to cross the border, so its not just "unclean soccer players" now. I would guess that the countries involved is what's playing a factor here.

Yes, I would guess that Forge just announced they were playing at home without confirming it. Much like how TFC and Montreal did the same thing and then got Exemption status just before the games.

Should be noted that unvaccinated MLS American team players will not be allowed to play in Canada.

Plus MLS has only been approved for August only 

Edited by narduch

4 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Much like how TFC and Montreal did the same thing and then got Exemption status just before the games.

As I understand it, that is not what happened.  The border has been opened to all US Residents that HAVE been vaccinated.  Toronto and Montreal just followed this rule.  I am guessing when TFC declared their home games, that was just after they received MLS approval to play the matches with only vaccinated players from Orlando and NYRB. 

5 hours ago, narduch said:

Should be noted that MLS American team players will not be allowed to play in Canada.

I'm not quite sure what this sentence means. There'd be no games if American players couldn't play in Canada. Now, there is a rule that all players crossing have to be double vaccinated and that's going to prevent some players from traveling.

5 hours ago, narduch said:

Plus MLS has only been approved for August only 

Sure, but now that it's allowed and the parameters for it have been established I don't see it not happening moving forward. Self contained sports teams traveling by charter is not the same as a regular joe trying to cross the border.

1 minute ago, Watchmen said:

I'm not quite sure what this sentence means. There'd be no games if American players couldn't play in Canada. Now, there is a rule that all players crossing have to be double vaccinated and that's going to prevent some players from traveling.

Sure, but now that it's allowed and the parameters for it have been established I don't see it not happening moving forward. Self contained sports teams traveling by charter is not the same as a regular joe trying to cross the border.

Sorry. The word Unvaccinated was missing.

This already happened on Wednesday as NYRB had to leave a player back for their match with TFC

1 hour ago, Metro said:

As I understand it, that is not what happened.  The border has been opened to all US Residents that HAVE been vaccinated.  Toronto and Montreal just followed this rule. 

This has not happened yet, though plans for it are in place. TFC and Montreal basically just forced the governments hand on a temporary exemption. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Preliminary Round starts tomorrow.

Of course Forge don't play until next week due to not being allowed to play in Canada.

Samaritane of Martinique has suffered a similar fate and will play both of their games against Universitario in Panama.

One Soccer has the broadcast rights but only the Thursday matches show up on their schedule due to CPL match conflicts.

This weeks games (all times ET)

Tuesday:

image.png.a8727d6d96c8e0d5512041fd5ceca9b0.png

Wednesday:

image.png.27f8533865acd71702d6f22db093bb74.png

Thursday:

image.png.221b17ad43b7046ada51916b888ce574.png