Cavallini or Larin?

Hawkguy

Cav or Larin  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you start in important games?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/15/2021 at 03:59 AM

1 hour ago, frmr said:

Cavallini misses too many chances for me and Larin is better in build up play. Cavallini is a workhorse but I prefer Larin, especially against more skilled teams.

If Cav misses too many chances... does that just mean Larin gets no chances? 

Cav has more goals in almost half the minutes compared with Larin - and against better sides too. 

59 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

Cav has more goals in almost half the minutes compared with Larin - and against better sides too. 

Statistics are important but I hope you can dig a little deeper to figure out why some of the statistics vary between the two. 

I am all for either one of them starting the upcoming games too.

If we are talking about the player to lead the line it’s Cav every time. He is just better suited for it. Larin goes invisible when he is alone up top. I do like Larin on the wing tho. Also I think Cav just meshes so well with David, and can create space that Larin simply cannot. 

Everyone saying that Larin shows inconsistency for Canada, wasn't this his first start since he was tasked to put a mediocre team on his back at 19? He may not have had a good game but he brings more than Cavallini and hasn't ever gotten a real run of games with us since he's been at Besiktas. For me, in a vacuum, it's Larin no question.

However considering Cavallini's our best (and only real) holdup striker and Larin started this one, Herdman may want to switch it up, especially since there wasn't a lot of space to work with at the start when Suriname sat back and better hold up play will help create better chances when space is at a premium.

As others may have stated, the overall shape being used and players available to play may affect this answer for any given gameday, but I'm leaning slightly towards #teamCav 

We've seen some lean years, so this is a great problem to have.  And it's mos def a luxury to have one of them coming off the bench to harass tiring defenders! 

8 hours ago, Hawkguy said:

Larin used to be horrible for Canada. He's a different player now. Cavallini still misses an awful lot of chances for Canada and his goals have dried up at club level.

Voted for Cavallini because I think he's a more natural fit to have alongside the Daves. But it's really damn close and frankly I think Larin, even though it isn't his biggest strength, is still better at holding the ball up then he's given credit for

6 minutes ago, DavemTFC said:

Voted for Cavallini because I think he's a more natural fit to have alongside the Daves. But it's really damn close and frankly I think Larin, even though it isn't his biggest strength, is still better at holding the ball up then he's given credit for

Larin has improved a lot in his hold up play, agreed.

I voted based on next match. 

I watched the highlights of Haiti-Nicaragua. One thing I noticed was that their CBs were not that aggressive in the air, shorter rivals were getting to balls. 

They were also rather dirty, and were play acting quite a bit. But on par with Nicaragua. There you may need another type of toughness.

Hopefully we have a ref that just passes over the embellishment and drama queen stuff. Over two legs, and I say this for both teams, cards should be properly managed, and you need to be able to get to the second match intact.

Here we have to watch for Davies, as he is going to be hunted down. Sometimes he lashes out and loses his cool. As his runs are ostentatious that will happen almost for sure, and the ref will probably be saving cards for later. Meaning we could see him hurt, or risking another yellow, early in a two-leg series.

Having a target striker up high, fixing the CBs, takes a bit of pressure of those attacking from wings or behind. I also like the idea of not giving Haiti what they think they'll get. 

So I am arguing for a rotation with Cav high, Jonathan behind him, Davies on the left or right (!), and not being overweighted in attack. We need to hold them this match, and score. And keep our squad fresh for the second round.

Cav right now.  At worst he'll be making a nuisance of himself and that's going to afford everyone else additonal breathing room to respond to the moment.  

Re-watched the Suriname match yesterday and found myself agreeing almost entirely with KJ on quite a few post match points, not the least of which was how smart Osorio's match was.  Off the ball movement was what it was suppose to be when on the attack.  Offering options and forcing responses from Suriname.  Really helped to distort the shape of the defenders and this squad of players for Canada can work with that sort of play so much better than anything in the past. 

Think Cav will provide more of that then Larin who I think, like David (who is outstanding at that sort of play) is best used as the trigger man than the wheel man if you get my drift.  

Haiti has to be all alarm bells and raid sirens about Davies and David by now.  That is, if they weren't already.   

At the moment it is Larin.

I don't think he was as poor last match as people were making out in the game thread. He was involved in the buildups and connected well with David, in one instance creating a half yard for himself to get a shot off. He didn't score, but so what? He didn't flub any chances either.  

Interesting to see how sentiments change though. Larin is supposedly part of our "big 3", is being linked to Everton and West Ham after a Turkish double, and has clearly been favored by Herdman since March, but now we are questioning whether he's behind Cavallini again? On the basis of what, the Suriname match?

Don't get me wrong, I like Lucas and I expect they are going to keep battling it out for rightful place in our best eleven. At some point Cavallini will probably re-take the starting role too. It's just that I don't see the case in this situation.

If the case for Cavallini is match up specific, with the argument being he holds the ball up better away from home, then okay I think that's a reasoned approach. For me though Larin and David really have good chemistry going and I would only go with Cavallini to keep Larin fresh for the return leg (in addition to him potentially holding up the ball better away from home).