Cavallini or Larin?

Hawkguy

Cav or Larin  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you start in important games?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/15/2021 at 03:59 AM

Just wondering what the consensus is here. 

There is no doubt that Cyle Larin, at this point, is the better club player. He's absolutely killing things in Super Lig (where he finished second in league scoring) and just won a league championship. He's been scoring more for Canada lately, but he seems to have a track record of not scoring against larger sides in National Play.  Cavallini, on the other hand, seems to score at will at the National Level. He's 2 1/2 years old than Larin, but has capped far less than Larin due to distancing himself from the National program. However, Cavallini has returned as a man on a mission.

Cavallini
Recent Contributions: 16 goals in his last 14 caps.
Best 3 teams scored against: Mexico, USA, Haiti.
Total Stats: 21 caps, 16 goals, 2 assists, 1090 minutes. 
Goals per 90: 1.32

Larin
Recent Contributions: 8 goals in his last 14 caps.
Best 3 teams scored against: Honduras, El Salvador, Bermuda.
Total Stats: 35 caps, 13 goals, 1 assist, 1859 minutes.
Goals per 90: 0.63

Edited by Hawkguy

3 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Voted for Cavallini but not because Larin did anything wrong.  Prefer to have Cavallini making space for David.

No one here is saying Larin did anything wrong. We haven't had many players score 13 times for us - especially by the age of 26. Only 8 players have scored more goals for Canada than him. And when all is said and done, Larin will probably slot in the top-3. 

But it's all about what works best for Canada. 

I think it is a bit of a trick question because they are different types of players.  Cav is a beast that can outmuscle a lot of defenders and is an absolute terror.  Larin is a finisher who needs support in a way that Cav doesn’t seem to.  Honestly, if David wasn’t written on the game sheet in permanent marker for the next 10 years, I suspect that Cav and Larin would combine pretty well.  

Having said all that, if I am putting a team together to get a win in a Haitian cauldron, I am probably going with Cav to start.  

I voted for Cavallini, but really it depends on the opposition and game plan. If the game plan is to play expansive footie and attack up the flanks I'm going with Larin, but if the game plan is to keep it tight and hit them on the counter I'm going with Cavallini.

I voted Larin., but this is all dependent on the formation I guess...it his pace, mobility, and versatility for me that I would like to utilize early with the rest of the attackers in David, and Davies. With Cav I know I'm going to get a pure number 9, who will solely play on the last defenders and can bang with tired defenders, and be a constant threat.

I personally think we should treat Davies as Barca treat messi, where he doesn't have much defensive responsibility/preserve his energy. He needs to have the freedom to do whatever in the attack 
We can attack with the front 3, and know that chances and goals will be created. 

If we need to hold up the ball and draw fouls in a tough road environment, Cavallini is my man.  I still think Larin is a better poacher but I am often left expecting more from him in a Canadian shirt.

If Buchanon's trajectory continues, he might be ahead of those guys come the Ocho.  I just think he has a skillset that combines best with David and Davies:  can make something happen on his own with his pace and dribbling and is as long as he works hard and listens to coaching with his movement off the ball, he could also be a special talent for us.

Larin got lost in the shuffle yesterday. I just think Cavallini brings another element to that front line

I also reject this notion that these players are stocks going up and down weekly based on their club performance. He's good, now he's bad, he scored this week now he's good, back on the bench now he must be bad, he's start this week he must be good again 

Edited by SpursFlu

13 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Larin got lost in the shuffle yesterday. I just think Cavallini brings another element to that front line

I also reject this notion that these players are stocks going up and down weekly based on their club performance. He's good, now he's bad, he scored this week now he's good, back on the bench now he must be bad, he's start this week he must be good again 

Form is temporary, class is permanent is the old expression.. That's why being an international manager is high wire act with regards to player selection:  stick with an out of form player or roll the dice  a hot club level player and neither pans out, then you face a ton of scrutiny. 

Cavallini might be a better choice to start in Haiti on Saturday because of his skillset. 

I think Larin is solid and when he was down I wasn't kicking him. I always thought he needed an opportunity to adjust to the environment in Europe. On the flip side I know he had a great goal total this year but I kinda don't see him as a " Big 3" or anything. I feel he is similar to David in his style of play and I think Cavallini helps round out the attack. I dont hate Larin starting especially against better teams where we might have more opportunities on the counter 

My opinion is we have 3 automatics right now.. Davies, David & Eustaquio 

Edited by SpursFlu

5 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I think Larin is solid and when he was down I wasn't kicking him. I always thought he needed an opportunity to adjust to the environment in Europe. On the flip side I know he had a great goal total this year but I kinda don't see him as a " Big 3" or anything. I feel he is similar to David in his style of play and I think Cavallini helps round out the attack

I think Larin's play has improved considerably from his European club experience.  I still rate him as a good poacher in the box (better than Cavallini, imo) but Cavallini is still a far better "hold up" player in helping maintain possession.

Even though Larin had a relatively poor game yesterday, I would still start him over Cavallini.  Better finisher.  However, I don't think we go wrong with both on the field up front with Davies and David. Cavallini as the #9 with Davies and Larin the wingers and David behind Cav.