WCQ: Haiti vs Canada - Saturday, June 12th, 5pm Eastern / 2pm Pacific - Stade Sylvio Cator, Port-au-Prince

2 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

So, what happens if we don't arrive in Haiti. I mean, literally don't show up. Are we automatically disqualified? Or do we take a 1-0 loss? Or something similar?  Yes, leaving the tie to the second leg, where you'll have to score at least two goals, maybe more, is a gambit for sure.  But I must admit I am struggling with the idea of sending our guys into Haiti at the moment.  Can we send the Canadian military too? And Dr. Bonnie? And full body condoms? (Extra thick for El Tanque, who MUST start this game, by the way.  This is the very sort of game you want Cava playing in.)

Just want the lads to be safe. We can't get to Qatar if we lose any of these guys. Am I overreacting? Probably. Please tell me I am overthinking this. (Herdman did not look happy about having to bring the guys to Haiti. I feel he is legit worried for them, as well as he should be.)

If we don't turn up in Haiti for the first leg, the BEST CASE scenario is that we're just hit with a 3-nil forfeit loss. The real danger is that we're disqualified from '22 altogether, with other punishments on top.

cantave hasnt shown to be more than a d4 level player in spain and with the third tier moving to only 40 teams that looks even less likely to be case..villarobledo finished last in their first phase group with 10 points in 18 games and last in their relegation group..got three starts in the first phase then got starts in the relegation group when they were out..always subbed in or out..and with haiti hes a sub so not a huge loss..their big addition is jeppe simonsen on the right side who was dangerous against nicaragua and got the assist on the goal..do we go to a back three for that and provide more coverage to davies....

Canada if we manage to get by Haiti and we get to the Octo, can I see us qualifying directly for Qatar? I can't see us doing it as an automatic direct spot but fighting for that 4th place spot to get to the Intercontinental playoff as CONCACAF representatives I can see it

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

cantave hasnt shown to be more than a d4 level player in spain and with the third tier moving to only 40 teams that looks even less likely to be case..villarobledo finished last in their first phase group with 10 points in 18 games and last in their relegation group..got three starts in the first phase then got starts in the relegation group when they were out..always subbed in or out..and with haiti hes a sub so not a huge loss..their big addition is jeppe simonsen on the right side who was dangerous against nicaragua and got the assist on the goal..do we go to a back three for that and provide more coverage to davies....

Are you in Spain, just wondering. 

I'm finding understanding the new division setup quite hard. 

5 minutes ago, Addona said:

What percentage of our players do people think are fully vaccinated?  It's gotta be at least 2/3 (if not more) right?

Meanwhile Haiti has basically done no vaccinations.

So their players might have been vaccinated if they play for clubs abroad.

21 minutes ago, Addona said:

What percentage of our players do people think are fully vaccinated?  It's gotta be at least 2/3 (if not more) right?

All the MLS players are (likely) fully vaccinated. For the Euro-based players it would depend on the specific country they play in.

The USSF is helping get several of their (willing) Euro-based USMNT and USWNT players vaccinated while they're all stateside for national team duty.

13 hours ago, Kent said:

The last time we played Haiti, Jonathan David had 1 pro season under his belt, with 14 goals for Gent, Cyle Larin was days away from being loaned from Besiktas to Zulte Waregem after scoring 1 league goal in 12 Super Lig appearances the season that had just finished, and Alphonso Davies had 74 minutes of Bundesliga experience in his career.

The game feels like it was yesterday, but there has been a lot of growth since then.

and Eustaquio was still with the Portuguese program with no intention of representing Canada yet.

32 minutes ago, narduch said:

I think this says Nazon may not be available for the match. He is Haiti's leading scorer from the group stage. He also scored on us in 2019

"Released on injury before the hour mark last Tuesday during the match against Nicaragua (1-0), the Haitian striker may well not participate in the match against Canada, the Duke seems to be embarrassed in his left leg and not not sent free on this footing. The collective training session of this Thursday morning open to the public did not smile on Nazon, in which he did not participate because he tripped alone, by contenting himself with jogging. The 4th top scorer in the history of the Grenadiers did not take part in the various collective workshops. Everything suggests that Nazon is very uncertain to play this first leg this Saturday afternoon at the Sylvio Cator stadium."

12 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

"Released on injury before the hour mark last Tuesday during the match against Nicaragua (1-0), the Haitian striker may well not participate in the match against Canada, the Duke seems to be embarrassed in his left leg and not not sent free on this footing. The collective training session of this Thursday morning open to the public did not smile on Nazon, in which he did not participate because he tripped alone, by contenting himself with jogging. The 4th top scorer in the history of the Grenadiers did not take part in the various collective workshops. Everything suggests that Nazon is very uncertain to play this first leg this Saturday afternoon at the Sylvio Cator stadium."

Computer auto-translate technology has come a long way since I was in high school french class trying to translate whole essays. But it's still a consistent source of hilarity. :)

But on the topic of Nazon, this could be a rare case of non-sarcastic 'big if true'.

8 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

18 months later:  If Herdman doesn’t get a win next game against Netherlands to get out of group stage of the World Cup, will he get fired?  Will it honestly ever end?

I edited your last line, only because it reminded me of one of my all time favourite Simpsons bits: