WCQ: Haiti vs Canada - Saturday, June 12th, 5pm Eastern / 2pm Pacific - Stade Sylvio Cator, Port-au-Prince

14 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

So you are against me streaming a match from someone who doesn’t own the rights to stream to me but you are in favour of me paying a third party to provide me with with a fraudulent location so I can stream the match from someone who doesn’t own the rights to stream it to me?

I guess it could be me who is being difficult now, but I don’t see a massive difference. 

I'm against ripping off OneSoccer or Paramount+ you bet. Both support our national team and confederation and you'd be paying a legitimate source for them.

Yes, I view it as different. Absolutely, it's surprising you don't.

28 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

So you are against me streaming a match from someone who doesn’t own the rights to stream to me but you are in favour of me paying a third party to provide me with with a fraudulent location so I can stream the match from someone who doesn’t own the rights to stream it to me?

I guess it could be me who is being difficult now, but I don’t see a massive difference. 

I hesitate to wade into this debate, but there is one important difference in your two scenarios. In the latter one, you are financial supporting the media organization that is providing a massive amount of support for Canadian footy - including our national teams and our growing national league.  To me that matters, especially insofar as they clearly need all the financial support they can get right now.

I don’t think it is overstating things to claim that supporting OneSoccer is one of the most important contributions any individual Canadian footy fan can make to the game in this country.  If they come out of this 10 year agreement in a healthy financial position because people got behind their platform and/or the demand was such that big networks started buying up their product, the game will be in a much better spot because of it.  

Bottom line - the argument against streaming Canadian games isn’t some high level principled stand against digital piracy (at least what I have seen debated here).  It is a plea for Canadian footy fans to financially support the organization that chose to go all in to back the game in this country.   

50 minutes ago, Razcal said:

I'm against ripping off OneSoccer or Paramount+ you bet. Both support our national team and confederation and you'd be paying a legitimate source for them.

Yes, I view it as different. Absolutely, it's surprising you don't.

Nah, you're wrong here. Morally, they could feel 'better' paying for it and using a VPN. But in regular terms, it's no different. It's why Netflix tried so hard to block that kind of thing. 

OneSoccer only has the rights to certain areas. If they can't access the game via OneSoccer without VPN, it's fraudulent. In fact, if the CSA cared enough they could try to make OneSoccer crack down on that because in theory the CSA is the one being ripped off. 

2 hours ago, Hawkguy said:

Nah, you're wrong here. Morally, they could feel 'better' paying for it and using a VPN. But in regular terms, it's no different. It's why Netflix tried so hard to block that kind of thing. 

OneSoccer only has the rights to certain areas. If they can't access the game via OneSoccer without VPN, it's fraudulent. In fact, if the CSA cared enough they could try to make OneSoccer crack down on that because in theory the CSA is the one being ripped off. 

Interesting discussion, if nobody owns the rights in their region would it make a difference? I think with Netflix it's because they are operating in a variety of different rules with different content requirements.

1 hour ago, Razcal said:

Interesting discussion, if nobody owns the rights in their region would it make a difference? I think with Netflix it's because they are operating in a variety of different rules with different content requirements.

It would make a difference or you wouldn't need a VPN. Lots of content doesn't check location. 

• 3 weeks later...