WCQ: Haiti vs Canada - Saturday, June 12th, 5pm Eastern / 2pm Pacific - Stade Sylvio Cator, Port-au-Prince

https://twitter.com/CanadaSoccerEN/status/1402465233696874499

Yes, this match will be in Haiti. Yes the country is experiencing instability but when is Haiti not?
Broadcast still on OneSoccer.

Haiti squad:

Bryan Alceus is on a yellow
Mikael Cantave will be suspended due to a red.
Soni Mustivar might be still be injured (he left the previous game in the 22nd minute)

Canada Squad:
Hoilett still injured but can play if needed.
Adekugbe seems fit.
Vitória is on a yellow.
Davies is on a yellow.

On a personal note, I wonder when David last visited Haiti?
I also wonder if ZBG has been to Haiti since leaving as a kid (adopted). Should be an eye-opener for him if he travels with the team.

I say first leg ends in a draw. Either it ends 1-1 or 2-2. I mean it is tough to call right now because despite Haiti not looking good but managing to beat Nicaragua, they were impressive in their qualifying group. But then again so were we Canadians. 

I know we have underperformed in these sorts of away games in the past, but I think we take this one by a couple of goals at least.  The start of the Suriname game was shaky partly because we hadn’t played anyone that tested us.  It was perfect prep for Haiti.  We will start off this one the way we end last night - with some swagger but still disciplined.  

Two wins to claim our rightful spot in the Ocho.   Book it.  

2 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

We Canadian fans should blow up Arfield’s Twitter and beg him to come back! 

I was sad about Arfield’s choice but honestly I am not grovelling for anyone at this point.  Let’s get the guys who want to be there.  Having said that, a call to him and Hutch to check in and let them know they are welcome back wouldn’t be a bad idea.  Would love to have Hutch back for this one. 

7 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Perfect that we ended up with Haiti. The Gold Cup game was an embarrassment to Herdman and the Team everyone will be hungry to put that right. Even more motivation to an already motivated squad.

Very interested to see how he handles the squad rotation though. 

Time for revenge

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I know we have underperformed in these sorts of away games in the past, but I think we take this one by a couple of goals at least.  The start of the Suriname game was shaky partly because we hadn’t played anyone that tested us.  It was perfect prep for Haiti.  We will start off this one the way we end last night - with some swagger but still disciplined.  

Two wins to claim our rightful spot in the Ocho.   Book it.  

I sure as hell hope so

18 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

We Canadian fans should blow up Arfield’s Twitter and beg him to come back! 

I honestly don't think he's sitting out because he doesn't want to play. He was hurt at the end of the season and drew into the championship winning game, that was already won, with like 20 minutes left. No doubt he's not fit and that's why he turned us down. 

3 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

I honestly don't think he's sitting out because he doesn't want to play. He was hurt at the end of the season and drew into the championship winning game, that was already won, with like 20 minutes left. No doubt he's not fit and that's why he turned us down. 

Even then I doubt that because even without him, we still are a better team.

Copying from the Road to Qatar thread for relevance. 

https://resources.fifa.com/image/upload/regulations-fifa-world-cup-2022tm-preliminary-competition.pdf?cloudid=r6gcejmanhw27gzaa9xb

In the knockout format, both teams shall play one home and one away match
each, the sequence of which shall be determined by lots drawn by FIFA. The
team having scored most goals over the two games shall qualify for the next
round. If both teams score the same number of goals over the two matches,
the goals scored away shall be counted as double. If the same number of
goals is scored away or if both matches end without any goals being scored,
extra time of two periods of 15 minutes each shall be played at the end of the
second leg. The extra time is an integral part of the second-leg match. Thus, if
no goals are scored in extra time, kicks from the penalty mark shall be taken
to determine the winner, in accordance with the procedure described in the
Laws of the Game. If both teams score the same number of goals in extra time,
the visiting team is declared the winner on the basis of away goals counting
double.

I HATEHATEHATE that away goals in extra time are a tiebreaker, particularly when there are no fans. 

7 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

I wonder if Rangers want to move him out.

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

We are not currently a better team without a healthy Scotty Arfield.  Full stop. 

Maybe maybe not but look at what we have done without him? We managed to beat Aruba and Suriname without him being there.

1 minute ago, Hawkguy said:

We're not better right now than we are with a healthy Arfield. He was a huge part in the biggest win this program has had in 240854208 years against USA. 

Okay granted he was a huge part of that but even then he's not even in form right now but after his past comments, in the words of Michael Jordan I took that very personally when it came to Arfield.

41 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

That Davies yellow is upsetting. It was a yellow, no doubt. But it was so late in a game we were commanding. It just stings a bit!

Does the yellow carry over to the 8-team pot if we were to win this home and away?

That doesn’t make sense to me considering that the USA, Mexico, etc did not play any games as of yet and their players get a clean slate in terms of bookings