WCQ: Canada vs Suriname - In-Match Thread

Big_M

1 minute ago, Razcal said:

We looked like crap but we are winning.

I'm not sure how to feel.

Definitely not loving this formation at all. Not sure why Herdman has the need to always get cute before important games.

Tentative and unfamiliar with the system and each other, not crap.

1 minute ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Started shaky but we were actually a lot tidier than the match versus Aruba. As the game grows, the guys will figure each other out, and I would expect us to nab another goal or two.  Suriname has to press; there will be opportunities.

That's too positive! 😀

I'm actually not against 3-5-2 for Canada, but it is missing a playmaker in midfield.

Osorio is a 'shuttler' or a 'connector', who facilitates passes in the midfield. Eustaquio seems to be playing more box to box, but he ain't no passer either.

Canada is far too reliant on AD on left, who is getting double teamed pretty much every time. But other Canadians are not seeing the open man and space on the right flank, where David and Laryea is not seeing enough of the ball, especially earlier in 1st half. A playmaker would probably do more of a switch, which would unsettle Suriname defence. Having Eustaquio and Piette (who I just don't rate, especially as a passer) is redundant for DM role.

I think I'd go Spoony in for Osorio out in 2nd half.

Larin also needs to be more active tying up the Suriname CBs, if the balls are going to be played through the flanks, instead of trying to make runs off the shoulders of the CBs. Cavallini would be better than Larin for this. 

On the other hand, despite some shaky early nervousness, defence hasn't been too bad. 

Our mids don't have much of a chance to pivot, which caused problems early, but looks like we've figured out bypassing them straight to a dropping David or Larin, which is working well. Also the through ball looks consistently on, just haven't clicked with it yet, aside from the goal, though that was a bit fortunate as it was under hit and Davies surprised the defender with his speed.

I don't quite get Platt and KJ saying the back 3 is not a threat in possession -- Kennedy stepping forward directly led to the goal, and Johnston hit a line splitter that sent David in clean through 1v1. Beyond that, there have been a few decent balls into the channel and aside from a nervy opening they have been assured in possession. What exactly do you want from your centre backs, creatively speaking?

1 minute ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Tentative and unfamiliar with the system and each other, not crap.

The Guyanas are more like Caribbean nations, have more similar histories, economics, politics, cultures, don't have the larger Latin American identity the bigger nations have...

2 minutes ago, Yohan said:

I'm actually not against 3-5-2 for Canada, but it is missing a playmaker in midfield.

Osorio is a 'shuttler' or a 'connector', who facilitates passes in the midfield. Eustaquio seems to be playing more box to box, but he ain't no passer either.

Canada is far too reliant on AD on left, who is getting double teamed pretty much every time. But other Canadians are not seeing the open man and space on the right flank, where David and Laryea is not seeing enough of the ball, especially earlier in 1st half. A playmaker would probably do more of a switch, which would unsettle Suriname defence. Having Eustaquio and Piette (who I just don't rate, especially as a passer) is redundant for DM role.

I think I'd go Spoony in for Osorio out in 2nd half.

Larin also needs to be more active tying up the Suriname CBs, if the balls are going to be played through the flanks, instead of trying to make runs off the shoulders of the CBs. Cavallini would be better than Larin for this. 

On the other hand, despite some shaky early nervousness, defence hasn't been too bad. 

Too cautious for me.  They're begging to get punched through and that ain't happening with that midfield. 

5 minutes ago, Floortom said:

so based on the replay....was that Becker strike not a goal?? it looks like it

looked in on the replay I just saw.... GULP.

Am I allowed to say it?... welcome to CONCACAF SURINAME.

Edited by apbsmith
not definitely