WCQ Taxi Squad for June

3 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Everyone should experience being Yankoffed at some point. Some type of character building.

Happy to veer off topic to reply. Arfield isn't in Hutch's league imo. Not sure his name had been mentioned in this thread until you brought it up though?

Bison was running a joke, because I said guys shouldn’t be able to pick and choose to come to the national team. [in reference to Arfield] But I’ve said before that the only person who deserves that right is Atiba.

Anyway, I don’t think this taxi squad is indicative of what the Gold Cup squad will look like. No Shaffelburg who’s been better than Nelson and JMR is my first sign.

Edited by Shway

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

Pretty sure we have all been there. 

Wait...how is being Yankoffed a thing?

He specifically said he’ll play for who’s comes calling first no? This was always the CSA’s fault with the whole no friendlies due to the advice of health experts bullshit. 

Aside from the confuse about Singh, I feel like we aren’t paying enough attention to the Ayo inclusion.  We are one strategic move away from snatching him away from the US after having played with them for his entire youth setup.  Sure, he hasn’t been lighting it up this year, but he is playing for a pretty poor TFC side and coming back from an extended injury. And we have some good attacking prospects (Corbeanu) and potential prospects (Jebbison).  

But this is the first time he has given any indication of wanting to play for us.  Still have to get it across the finish line, but personally I am really excited about this. Let’s get him into the red and white, and have him help build the program going forward.  

Just now, Shway said:

He specifically said he’ll play for who’s comes calling first no? This was always the CSA’s fault with the whole no friendlies due to the advice of health experts bullshit. 

Sorry.  Was thinking Yankedoff...

28 minutes ago, Shway said:

Some of us speculate that he told the CSA he was in to put pressure on the Bulgarian FA. it's all circumstantial, but it's a fun theory to run with (especially with his name being what it is)

8 minutes ago, VinceA said:

It is odd that Metcalfe was taken instead of Baldi, Bair, Cornelius or even Habibullah.

Unless Vancouver wanted to keep their players. If that's the case then Metcalfe being allowed to go doesn't inspire confidence that Vancouver rates him.

That's what I am thinking, but I see it as a positive for Metcalfe. These sort of experiences will give him confidence to go back to Vancouver and show them why he should play.

42 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Aside from the confuse about Singh, I feel like we aren’t paying enough attention to the Ayo inclusion.  We are one strategic move away from snatching him away from the US after having played with them for his entire youth setup.  Sure, he hasn’t been lighting it up this year, but he is playing for a pretty poor TFC side and coming back from an extended injury. And we have some good attacking prospects (Corbeanu) and potential prospects (Jebbison).  

But this is the first time he has given any indication of wanting to play for us.  Still have to get it across the finish line, but personally I am really excited about this. Let’s get him into the red and white, and have him help build the program going forward.  

The Akinola development is positive, but let's not pop the campaign just yet. He was called in for January and was injured, so this amounts to just pressing the reset button. He is still window shopping and if we drop the ball versus Suriname he likely turns back to the United States.

20 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Some of us speculate that he told the CSA he was in to put pressure on the Bulgarian FA. it's all circumstantial, but it's a fun theory to run with (especially with his name being what it is)

Never called called by anyone other than Biello

40 minutes ago, VinceA said:

It is odd that Metcalfe was taken instead of Baldi, Bair, Cornelius or even Habibullah.

Unless Vancouver wanted to keep their players. If that's the case then Metcalfe being allowed to go doesn't inspire confidence that Vancouver rates him.

Every other CB on the Caps roster (including the two Academy grads) played in the weekend friendly in Utah and considering that he looks to be the 4th choice CB, I wonder if Cornelius is being held out in preparation for a move to another MLS club or elsewhere?  He was clearly the best Cap at the Olympic qualifiers and a leader of the backline and team as the captain.

As others have said it’s pretty surprising that Metcalfe is there over others such as Baldisimo, Teibert and even Chapman. I have to think this is a reward for his Olympic qualifiers because on club form it doesn’t make sense. 
Teibert though wow.. from a Canada regular to not even making domestic or taxi squads at 28. More of a testament to our depth than anything he’s done though. 

4 hours ago, Shway said:

Being Yankoffed is most definately a thing, maybe a more of a high school thing so us old guys dont remember.  

As for some of the others, who knows, maybe Teibert asked for some time off???  😉 Singh and Akinola will at least know they are on our senior teams radar and hopefully that will keep them from jumping ship. Rutty is the one inclusion that surprises me...Baldisimo has done more to earn a call am i right?? 

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

Let's just put the taxi squad out against Aruba. Captie a couple guys, give some young guys some experience, and give some solid MLS a game. Actually is a decent team.

LINEUP111622512279270.png

Can we just run our own Canadian tournament in camp poutine every year.

Canada A    Borjan, Laryea, Henry, Miller, Adekugbe, Eustaquio, Hutch, Arfield, Davies, Larin, David

Canada B    Crepeau, Johnston, Vitoria, Kennedy, Gutierrez, Kaye, Osorio, Piette, Corbeanu, Buchanan, Cavallini

Taxi XI: Listed Above

Unattached (or soon to be) XI: Leutwiler, Godinho, Ferreira, Sturing, Straith, Legault, Froese, Paton, Elva, Hoilett, AJH

CPL XI:  Carducci, Farsi/Chung, Zator, Didic, TMG/Jakovic, Abzi, Bekker, Shome, Borges, Bustos,  Campbell/Ongaro

Best of the rest: Hasal, Cordova, Cornelius, James, Bassong, Baldissimo, Fraser, Wotherspoon, Millar, Schaffelburg, Jebbison

Thats leaving out Bair, Dias, Flores, Brym, Ricketts, Pantemis, Dunn, Yao, Chapman, Metcalfe, Teibert, Bayiha, Choiniere and a host more. 

6 hours ago, toontownman said:

Can we just run our own Canadian tournament in camp poutine every year.

Canada A    Borjan, Laryea, Henry, Miller, Adekugbe, Eustaquio, Hutch, Arfield, Davies, Larin, David

Canada B    Crepeau, Johnston, Vitoria, Kennedy, Gutierrez, Kaye, Osorio, Piette, Corbeanu, Buchanan, Cavallini

Taxi XI: Listed Above

Unattached (or soon to be) XI: Leutwiler, Godinho, Ferreira, Sturing, Straith, Legault, Froese, Paton, Elva, Hoilett, AJH

CPL XI:  Carducci, Farsi/Chung, Zator, Didic, TMG/Jakovic, Abzi, Bekker, Shome, Borges, Bustos,  Campbell/Ongaro

Best of the rest: Hasal, Cordova, Cornelius, James, Bassong, Baldissimo, Fraser, Wotherspoon, Millar, Schaffelburg, Jebbison

Thats leaving out Bair, Dias, Flores, Brym, Ricketts, Pantemis, Dunn, Yao, Chapman, Metcalfe, Teibert, Bayiha, Choiniere and a host more. 

What a long way we've come!

7 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

According to Sportsnet Ayo and Luke will not be called to play any games, they're only there to train. ☹️😕

According to CP, actually. But yes, this isn't exactly surprising. Akinola has to file a one-time switch, and Singh is also brand new to the program.

18 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Based on the pictures that were shared in another thread, it doesn't appear the Taxi squad has arrived yet to join the core team. 

Only Waterman appears to be there.  Per Wheels the Florida based guys won’t get there until Wednesday.