2021 Voyageurs MNT Player of the Year

I usually don't post this until Late November/early December. However, in the past few years I noticed the European based players that had great end of the season don't get as much credit as someone that plays well to start the new season. For instance, if Larin transfers to West Ham and sits on the bench to start the season, very few people will include his phenomenal January - May. Since it is a 2021 calendar year just thought I would post a quick recap of some of the top candidates. This is in no particular order.

Milan Borjan - played 21 competitive matches. Did not lose any game. Also played AC Milan twice in Europa League, where they drew both games, losing out on away goals. Won the Serbian league and have the Serbian cup this week.

Steven Vitoria - made 11 appearances for mid table Portuguese team. Scored 3 goals and was the club captain.

Scott Arfield - 14 appearances for Scottish champions Rangers in both the league and Europa. Mostly played as a sub, as he also dealt with several injuries. 

Stephen Eustaquio - Also 21 appearances, all as a starter, where he almost always played the full 90 as a CM for s surprising 5th place Pacos in Portugal. Had numerous MOTM awards.

David Wotherspoon - 23 appearance, was an integral starter for 5th place St. Johnstone. Won both the Scottish Cup and League Cup, and qualified for Europe.

Atiba Hutchinson - 26 appearances in the Turkish cup and league, winning both. Had 1 goal in 2021, and numerous assists (didn't feel like going through each game to determine exact number) Was an important part of their midfield.

Cyle Larin - 29 appearances in  Turkish cup and league, won both. Had 15 goals in 2021, which were huge given they won the league on goal difference.

Alphonso Davies - 24 appearance in league, cup, Champions league, and Club World Cup. Scored 1 goal. Won the Bundesliga and the Club World Cup.

Jonathan David - 25 appearances in league, cup and Europa. Scored 11 goals, almost all of them very important goals. Won the French league.

A couple other guys which I am going to say our fringe candidates, but could blossom next season if they have a great start to the season and/or commit to Canada include Millar, Hoilett, Corbeanu, Adekugbe and Jebbison. 

If anyone wants to add anything feel free to do so.

Edited by Stryker911

This probably should wait until the end of the upcoming window, but we can always update at that time. For now, here's where these candidates stand in terms of national team performance. Just doing this off memory, so please correct any inaccuracies you notice. 

Milan Borjan - played 1 match for Canada, 5-1 win over Bermuda in WCQ.

Steven Vitoria - played 1 match for Canada, 5-1 win over Bermuda in WCQ

Scott Arfield - has not yet played for Canada in 2021

Stephen Eustaquio - played 2 matches for Canada, 5-1 win over Bermuda and 11-0 win over Cayman Islands in WCQ, in which he came on as a substitute. 

David Wotherspoon - played 2 matches for Canada, 5-1 win over Bermuda, which he came on as a substitute, and 11-0 win over Cayman Islands in WCQ, in which he scored a goal and picked up an assist.

Atiba Hutchinson - played 1 match for Canada, 5-1 win over Bermuda in WCQ.

Cyle Larin - played 2 matches for Canada, 5-1 win over Bermuda, which he scored a hat-trick, and 11-0 win over Cayman Islands in WCQ, in which he scored a goal. I believe he also picked up at least 1 assist in these games, someone please confirm.

Alphonso Davies - played 2 matches for Canada, 5-1 win over Bermuda, which he picked up 2 assists, and 11-0 win over Cayman Islands in WCQ, in which he scored a brace (and I believe picked up at least 1 assist).

Jonathan David - has not yet played for Canada in 2021

Millarplayed 2 matches for Canada, 5-1 win over Bermuda, which he came on as a substitute and picked up 1 assist, and 11-0 win over Cayman Islands in WCQ.

Hoilettplayed 2 matches for Canada, 5-1 win over Bermuda, and 11-0 win over Cayman Islands in WCQ, in which he came on as a substitute and picked up an assist.

Corbeanuplayed 2 matches for Canada, 5-1 win over Bermuda, which he came on as a substitute and scored a goal (on his international debut), and 11-0 win over Cayman Islands in WCQ.

Adekugbeplayed 2 matches for Canada, 5-1 win over Bermuda and 11-0 win over Cayman Islands in WCQ, in which he came on as a substitute. 

Jebbison - has not yet committed to the Canadian program. 

Edited by Obinna