Hugo-Hilaire Mbongue

Dominic94

Striker

TFC2

Born July 24th 2004

He is the highly rated younger brother of Ralph Priso-Mbongue, he goes by Hugo Mbongue. Terry Dunfield thinks his ceiling is higher than that of Ralph’s.

I don’t know when he signed but he will make his USL debut tonight. Should be with the first team by next year. Was a part of the vaunted TFC youth team that won the GA cup, he is their 2nd best 04 after JMR.

Edited by Dominic94

Is it just me or is TFC's whole gameplan and strategy become just market the youngsters as much as possible without actually playing them?  What's going on, are they paying guys to tweet and hype them up and hope for a $$$ transfer based on youtube videos from when they were 15 yrs old?

This team is going nowhere as long as Gonzalez, Bradley, Altidore and Delgado are main components and regular starters.  At some point they're gonna have to turn the page, and develop and build for the future.  They're losing anyway, might as well do it with the younglings.

It would be if they were willing to sell! Just hording. 

Would like to see at least one of Singh or Dunn on loan to CPL this year if they are insistent on a snail paced Gonzalez and clusterfuck that is Zavaleta.

I haven't seen enough from Nelson but feel bad for Priso who looks really solid. Schaffelburg is getting about the right minutes.

Looked like Okello was going to get a real shot, now he and Rutty are down the order with Delgado untouchable. I am sure the chances will come again but its frustrating seeing how it starting well with the kids and now with TFC looking so poor.

If you are a decent coach, you should be able to get something out of the players you have.  BUT....nothing is going to get much better until POZ comes back, you cant axe the MVP, and stay at the top of the league.    With all the injuries you would hope the younger guys would keep getting minutes, instead of plugging Auro or Delgado in positions they cant succeed at.  

I watched Hugo get a run out last night.  Seems like a real physical specimen (as opposed to Rutty/Nelsen), have to watch his progess.  Nice to see these kids playing again.  

14 hours ago, Bison44 said:

If you are a decent coach, you should be able to get something out of the players you have.  BUT....nothing is going to get much better until POZ comes back, you cant axe the MVP, and stay at the top of the league.    With all the injuries you would hope the younger guys would keep getting minutes, instead of plugging Auro or Delgado in positions they cant succeed at.   

Okay, sure they won’t be 100% without the league MVP but they should still be competent. Look what Seattle has done this year without Lodeiro (they are literally in first place), how Orlando played yesterday without Nani. Good teams can still win without their best player.

But I would concede there are lots of things going on with TFC at the moment. Cards on the table I think Armas might not cut it but they also are getting nothing out of the forward position. Altidore looks like he’s never going to recover his form and Akinola hasn’t been sharp either. Gonzalez also looks like a liability at the back.

4 hours ago, ag futbol said:

Okay, sure they won’t be 100% without the league MVP but they should still be competent. Look what Seattle has done this year without Lodeiro (they are literally in first place), how Orlando played yesterday without Nani. Good teams can still win without their best player.

But I would concede there are lots of things going on with TFC at the moment. Cards on the table I think Armas might not cut it but they also are getting nothing out of the forward position. Altidore looks like he’s never going to recover his form and Akinola hasn’t been sharp either. Gonzalez also looks like a liability at the back.

TBF, Orlando and Seattle didn't have a coach change over, though Schmeltzer had Seattle playing a new 3-5-2 system.

It's hard to give Armas a mark without Pozuelo playing. (plus there's whole not playing in Toronto thing)

2 hours ago, Yohan said:

TBF, Orlando and Seattle didn't have a coach change over, though Schmeltzer had Seattle playing a new 3-5-2 system.

It's hard to give Armas a mark without Pozuelo playing. (plus there's whole not playing in Toronto thing)

they just look so so bad though. Like clueless bad. I get how important Poz is, but they went from a shield calibre team last year to just lost looking this year.

I can't see Armas making it through the season at this point unless something big changes.

I can almost feel for Armas.  He is trying to change the system, first off, and he doesnt have the horses to do it...YET.  THEN, Vanney got out of dodge after he milked the last few good games out of the USMNT contingent on TFC.  ALtidore cant stay healthy, Bradley has clearly lost a step and should be managed to get more out of him, Slomar is getting exposed weekly, and Delgado, well I cant say anything or Obinna will whine, but what has he done to deserve to continue to start every week??  Funny how these guys that were so good in 2017 with GIO (or Poz last 2 years) et all carrying the load, look very average when its their turn to come through for the club.  I can almost feel for him, but he has dumped his play the kids mantra ASAP and the continuing faith in Mullins is baffling to me.  I still cant see TFC and Curtis dumping him mid year.  

Now....if you name your kids Ralph and Hugo....what are the chances you are a fashion diva??  Are there younger brothers named, Dolce and Cabbana??

6 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I can almost feel for Armas.  He is trying to change the system, first off, and he doesnt have the horses to do it...YET.  THEN, Vanney got out of dodge after he milked the last few good games out of the USMNT contingent on TFC.  ALtidore cant stay healthy, Bradley has clearly lost a step and should be managed to get more out of him, Slomar is getting exposed weekly, and Delgado, well I cant say anything or Obinna will whine, but what has he done to deserve to continue to start every week??  Funny how these guys that were so good in 2017 with GIO (or Poz last 2 years) et all carrying the load, look very average when its their turn to come through for the club.  I can almost feel for him, but he has dumped his play the kids mantra ASAP and the continuing faith in Mullins is baffling to me.  I still cant see TFC and Curtis dumping him mid year.  

Now....if you name your kids Ralph and Hugo....what are the chances you are a fashion diva??  Are there younger brothers named, Dolce and Cabbana??

The problem is if you have a team thats big on technical skill but low on speed and legs, why go all in on a hard running, press style of play? You can say these aren't the same players from a few years ago which is fair, but this system makes zero sense, it exposes their weakness and nullifies their strengths.

True, a good coach would mold a style to fit the pieces he has.  Not force players into his style, at least not to the detriment of the team.  So where does blame lie?? Maybe 50/50 Armas style of play not meshing with talent, vs No Poz all the injuries etc. 

Get the MVP back in and miraculously the system will work better, everyone else wont have to worry about creating all the offense, strikers and Soteldo will start gettting service, defense wont look so slow when we are up 2-0, etc etc.  Thats what I am hoping for cause this is hard to watch.  Cant wait for CPL to get going.  

On 5/24/2021 at 6:04 PM, lazlo_80 said:

they just look so so bad though. Like clueless bad. I get how important Poz is, but they went from a shield calibre team last year to just lost looking this year.

I can't see Armas making it through the season at this point unless something big changes.

That would be my take so far as well.

Look at Montreal, new coach, similar challenges to playing on the road, new players to integrate. Points wise, you can pretty well call them even with TFC (as they only have 3 more and TFC have a game in hand). But at least Wilfrid Nancy can field a team that looks tactically organized. There are individual mistakes and some breakdowns but it doesn’t look like total chaos. 

TFC on the other hand... the end product looks so bad and so poorly thought out (Gonzalez and a high line? Really?) it really makes me question if Armas has the slightest clue. I think he’s just a zealot for the one system he knows and otherwise isn’t much of a manager. 

7 hours ago, ag futbol said:

Look at Montreal, new coach, similar challenges to playing on the road, new players to integrate. Points wise, you can pretty well call them even with TFC (as they only have 3 more and TFC have a game in hand). But at least Wilfrid Nancy can field a team that looks tactically organized. There are individual mistakes and some breakdowns but it doesn’t look like total chaos. 

TFC on the other hand... the end product looks so bad and so poorly thought out (Gonzalez and a high line? Really?) it really makes me question if Armas has the slightest clue. I think he’s just a zealot for the one system he knows and otherwise isn’t much of a manager. 

What I have seen of Montreal, they actually look pretty good.  The best of the Canadian sides. They have been let down by not scoring on their opportunities and some defensive lapses.  If they can keep playing as they are, I would expect they make the playoffs.  And that is saying something as they dont have any home games essentially.

18 hours ago, ag futbol said:

Same could've been said about Jesse Marsch, he seemed very one-dimensional as a coach at one time, look at him now. 

I'm not against managers having a specific system, as long as the club helps them build around that.  It might take 2-3 years to get there, but with the right leadership & motivation the project will come together.  Marsch has managed it everywhere he's gone.  

That being said, I don't see how Armas can play his core 4 again this weekend.  Experiment is over, didn't work, move on. 

Way too early to cry for Armas, the season literally just started. They were decimated with injuries and it takes time to adjust to a new coach. I don't know what people were expecting. He doesn't have a magic wand.

But hey Armas, If you do ever come across a magic wand, do you mind turning all the Americans on the roster into Canadians, just so I don't have to hear @Bison44 bitch about them in every thread? :)

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Way too early to cry for Armas, the season literally just started. They were decimated with injuries and it takes time to adjust to a new coach. I don't know what people were expecting. He doesn't have a magic wand.

But hey Armas, If you do ever come across a magic wand, do you mind turning all the Americans on the roster into Canadians, just so I don't have to hear @Bison44 bitch about them in every thread? :)

It's not so much about the injuries and adjusting, it's about picking Auro, Bradley, Delgado, Altidore & Gonzalez over Priso, Okello, Singh, etc...  

Having injuries is the perfect situation to try out the young guys that your marketing team is trying so hard to sell.  How else are they gonna get minutes?  They're not doing that, they still just give all the minutes to Bradley like it's still 2008.  How can Gonzalez be the best option? 

Losing is ok with the injuries and transition to a new coach, it's not adapting that's concerning. 

20 minutes ago, costarg said:

It's not so much about the injuries and adjusting, it's about picking Auro, Bradley, Delgado, Altidore & Gonzalez over Priso, Okello, Singh, etc...  

Having injuries is the perfect situation to try out the young guys that your marketing team is trying so hard to sell.  How else are they gonna get minutes?  They're not doing that, they still just give all the minutes to Bradley like it's still 2008.  How can Gonzalez be the best option? 

Losing is ok with the injuries and transition to a new coach, it's not adapting that's concerning. 

They're not doing that right now, but haven't they been doing that up until very recently?  

I can hardly be upset at the minutes those 3 players have gotten so far this season. Thanks to injuries, Okello and Priso have exceeded the minutes I expected for them at this stage, and I never even knew who Singh was before the season started. This is all very positive in my opinion. 

Players have slowly been returning from injury, so naturally there is going to be more competition. Despite that, some of the young Canadian contingent are finding their way in games. Schaffleburg even scored his first MLS goal the game before last.

Still plenty to smile about if your a Canadian supporter following TFC.

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

They're not doing that right now, but haven't they been doing that up until very recently?  

I can hardly be upset at the minutes those 3 players have gotten so far this season. Thanks to injuries, Okello and Priso have exceeded the minutes I expected for them at this stage, and I never even knew who Singh was before the season started. This is all very positive in my opinion. 

Players have slowly been returning from injury, so naturally there is going to be more competition. Despite that, some of the young Canadian contingent are finding their way in games. Schaffleburg even scored his first MLS goal the game before last.

Still plenty to smile about if your a Canadian supporter following TFC.

I think folks are overstating the TFC problems. New coach, not playing at home. Having to start far earlier than other teams under great pressure in Champions, travel to Mexico. 

My view is that TFC will end up one of the top 6-8 teams in the league. Not sure if that will help or hurt the youth, but it does make sense to give them minutes when you can, so they are ready for later when you may want to ask more of them.

• RS changed the title to Hugo-Hilaire Mbongue