Jump to content

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Was tabled at the FIFA Congress today.  

 

If this came into being and killed the confederation championships, I would be ok with it.  There's already a major tournament every 2 years but only Europe gets to play in both.

 

The Copa America should be bigger (in terms of importance and global popularity, and it's why I think the Gold Cup and Copa should be merged), and the Africa Cup of Nations is always interesting. Only the current Gold Cup (where with one important exception it's always the US and Mexico) or the OFC (where there's no team of importance - sorry New Zealand soccer) are actually poor/irrelevant. I'd rather see work to improve the regional tournaments than a World Cup every 2 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Watchmen said:

The Copa America should be bigger (in terms of importance and global popularity, and it's why I think the Gold Cup and Copa should be merged), and the Africa Cup of Nations is always interesting. Only the current Gold Cup (where with one important exception it's always the US and Mexico) or the OFC (where there's no team of importance - sorry New Zealand soccer) are actually poor/irrelevant. I'd rather see work to improve the regional tournaments than a World Cup every 2 years.

The irony of FIFAgate is that it killed the prospect of future joint tournaments. The joint-confederation agreement for the 2016 Centenario was only made possible by the $100M in bribes the executives received. 

CONMEBOL isn't touching US jurisdiction with a 10 foot pole.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I see it as a lose-lose situation. You lose confederation championships, which would suck, and the World Cup's importance is diluted, which would suck. I want the Gold Cup to be every 4 years to give it more meaning, so I am going in the opposite direction of this proposal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

The irony of FIFAgate is that it killed the prospect of future joint tournaments. The joint-confederation agreement for the 2016 Centenario was only made possible by the $100M in bribes the executives received. 

CONMEBOL isn't touching US jurisdiction with a 10 foot pole.  

Time (and money) heals all wounds.  The CONMEBOL reps will be in the US for the World Cup.  Wouldn't be shocked to see CONCACAF support the Argentina/Uruguay/Paraguay World Cup bid.  The joint-confederation agreement didn't move forward because of squabbles over control between CONCACAF (with more member nations) and CONMEBOL (with a much higher quality of member).  Even then, another joint tournament probably could have happened if the US hadn't ridiculously tried to host it a 2nd time.  Ultimately, I think it makes the most sense for both confederations, and they'll get there....eventually.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

it will never happen UEFA and CONMEBAL will make sure of this  Both the Euros and The Copa America are huge revenue makers for each confederations Like Watchman said I would rather see improvements to mregional tournaments than a World Cup every two years

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, gigi riva said:

it will never happen UEFA and CONMEBAL will make sure of this  Both the Euros and The Copa America are huge revenue makers for each confederations Like Watchman said I would rather see improvements to mregional tournaments than a World Cup every two years

 

It was actually CONMEBOL that got Infantino on this path back in 2018

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/nov/23/world-cup-two-years-fifa-conmebolimage.png.90637518f572f1ed559d49637f860fcb.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Time (and money) heals all wounds.  The CONMEBOL reps will be in the US for the World Cup.  Wouldn't be shocked to see CONCACAF support the Argentina/Uruguay/Paraguay World Cup bid.  The joint-confederation agreement didn't move forward because of squabbles over control between CONCACAF (with more member nations) and CONMEBOL (with a much higher quality of member).  Even then, another joint tournament probably could have happened if the US hadn't ridiculously tried to host it a 2nd time.  Ultimately, I think it makes the most sense for both confederations, and they'll get there....eventually.  

I was getting at something more sinister.  Having read Ken Bensinger's book I'm more inclined to cynicism.  If this was purely about football then it would get done for all the reasons you mentioned but look at it through the lens of the people making the decisions and their personal conflicts of interest.  If you're a CONMEBOL Executive who wants to get money on the side from marketing companies and TV networks without getting a knock on the door from the FBI then all you have to do is steer clear of US jurisdiction.  CONCACAF is a US based entity so just by engaging with them opens the door for the FBI to stick their nose in. 

A joint tournament makes all the sense in the world, but not necessarily for the individuals with the power to make it happen.      

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TOcanadafan said:

World Cup every 3 years, Euro on one of the off years, combined Conmebol/Gold Cup on the other. AfricanNC and AsianCup smack in the middle winter... that’d be my wish.

I feel 3 years is a fair compromise.  Nations League can be scrapped.  Continental qualifiers can be reduced  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This looks like people scratching each other's back. Gianni Infantino visited Saudi Arabia this January and the Saudis used it to put out a PR video to paper over their human rights violations. Includes cringy Infantino statements like Saudi food is top...very tasty. 

And even though the proposal wants a Women's WC every two years, the Saudis passed a law in 2008 banning a women's national team. Though, they are ahead of Canada in one area as earlier this year Saudi Arabia decided to launch a football league for women.

 

Edited by red card
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2021 at 2:00 PM, TOcanadafan said:

World Cup every 3 years, Euro on one of the off years, combined Conmebol/Gold Cup on the other. AfricanNC and AsianCup smack in the middle winter... that’d be my wish.

Euro would have to move to every 3 years also for this to work. Which I would be in favour of. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

How about leaving the most successful sporting event on the planet how is. Just a thought 

I'm sure Saudi Arabia would love to force people to go to their country (and of course only wealthy people) in order to watch their national team play but im not in to it

But since everyone is broke I'm sure they'll try and justify eating that apple

Edited by SpursFlu
Link to post
Share on other sites

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it . Keep the World Cup every fours years . Moreover, I hope they still keep groups of 4 when they go to 48. This idea of going to groups of 3 is a complete mockery . So teams only guaranteed 2 games , that’s a joke .  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it . Keep the World Cup every fours years . Moreover, I hope they still keep groups of 4 when they go to 48. This idea of going to groups of 3 is a complete mockery . So teams only guaranteed 2 games , that’s a joke .  

It's already been decided that it will be 16 groups of 3.  Top 2 progress to a 32 round knock out.

Stupid enough for you?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...