WCQ: Canada vs Suriname - Tuesday, June 8th, 9:05pm Eastern/6:05pm Pacific - SeatGeek Stadium, Chicago

42 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

So for the uninformed among us, any good news?  Any bad news?  

The good news is that there are more players who apparently are interested in joining that aren't on this team, particularly Riedewald from Crystal Palace.

The big one joining is Union Berlin's Sheraldo Becker. He's one to watch for sure. Although I believe he is coming off an injury.

4 minutes ago, VinceA said:

The big one joining is Union Berlin's Sheraldo Becker. He's one to watch for sure. Although I believe he is coming off an injury.

He made his first appearance on the weekend since January so it seems he's back and healthy.  Probably wont be fully fit and in form for the window

As long as we beat Aruba and let's say Suriname beats Bermuda and then it comes down to final matchday we would have to play for a win in this scenario

Or another scenario we beat Aruba and Suriname either loses or draws with Bermuda

Then on final match day all we would need is a win or draw and we're in

Either way, I'm just looking for wins in both games because then we build even more momentum that way

19 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

As long as we beat Aruba and let's say Suriname beats Bermuda and then it comes down to final matchday we would have to play for a win in this scenario

Or another scenario we beat Aruba and Suriname either loses or draws with Bermuda

Either way, I'm just looking for wins in both games because then we build even more momentum that way

In the first scenario all we would need is a draw. Suriname isn't catching us on GD. 

Edited by king1010

24 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

If Suriname lose to Bermuda we can afford to lose because they won't overturn our goal difference. 

If Suriname draw with Bermuda or win, we can afford to draw, but we cannot lose. 

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

So for the uninformed among us, any good news?  Any bad news?  

In addition to what @trc2014 has said, the 23 man-squad is the same as what they had against Aruba in March except for the following changes:

In:

Mitchell Donald
Mitchell Te Vrede
Ridgeciano Haps
Ryan Koolwijk
Sheraldo Becker

Out:

Albert Nibte
Alvaro Verwey
Gilberto Cronie
Ivanildo Misidjan
Roscello Vlijter
Sergino Eduard

48 minutes ago, Obinna said:

If Suriname lose to Bermuda we can afford to lose because they won't overturn our goal difference. 

If Suriname draw with Bermuda or win, we can afford to draw, but we cannot lose. 

Yeah that's why you can bet a lot of Canadians will be looking to or paying attention to the results of the Suriname/Bermuda match

3 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

The only time this Canada squad has looked comfortable is with their foot on the gas. Playing a counter style would be a recipe for disaster IMO. Even if we go up by 1 or 2 we just need to keep pushing and avoid a Haiti '19. 

Just curious which games are you referring to? The only ones we played with any decent/strong opposition was Mexico & Haiti in the 2019 GC and the 2 games vs US in CNL

Just now, Kadenge said:

Just curious which games are you referring to? The only ones we played with any decent/strong opposition was Mexico & Haiti in the 2019 GC and the 2 games vs US in CNL

So the 3 games we ever played where we held back were against Mexico, against the US away and once we were up 2-0 vs. Haiti. Our only 3 losses (besides the Iceland camp poutine loss). 

4 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

So the 3 games we ever played where we held back were against Mexico, against the US away and once we were up 2-0 vs. Haiti. Our only 3 losses (besides the Iceland camp poutine loss). 

agree re  away USA game . In the Mexico game Herdman left out  David/Arfield/Oso... not sure it would have made a difference if we attacked more without them. In the Haiti game we didn't play that well in the first half although being up by 2. No tactical adjustment at the half or after they targeted Godinho. It was  2 moments of madness and then panic by the gaffer in removing Cav/Oso and pushing Davies back . I do agree that the strength of this team is our attackers and mids and that would suggest playing attacking footie. I just would like to see that success for more than the 1 game vs the US

4 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I remember the US away game totally differently.  We pushed the fullbacks forward aggressively in the first half with Davies  and Laryea getting caught way up the pitch and the US punishing us on the counter.  

Maybe we analyzed the games differently, fairly certain we went gas pedal down vs US away.... Result did not end well for us. 

US at home I felt it was fairly balanced( yes a bit more attacking) , just played with a very high level of intensity and pressure. Our 2nd goal was definitely Cav hitting USA on the counter. 

Anyways as for vs Suriname, I definitely think we should not be absorbing pressure and sitting back. We have enough talent in our front end to score and break them down. 

Edited by apbsmith

1 hour ago, apbsmith said:

Maybe we analyzed the games differently, fairly certain we went gas pedal down vs US away.... Result did not end well for us. 

US at home I felt it was fairly balanced( yes a bit more attacking) , just played with a very high level of intensity and pressure. Our 2nd goal was definitely Cav hitting USA on the counter. 

Anyways as for vs Suriname, I definitely think we should not be absorbing pressure and sitting back. We have enough talent in our front end to score and break them down. 

Agreed. 

we should be able to take the game to Suriname. Against the better teams, we should give a nod to being a bit more pragmatic with our tactics. US at home was the right idea, US away was a pretty naive setup.

9 hours ago, apbsmith said:

Agreed, I definitely felt like we tried to play a more counter attacking game against USA at home. Then, we tried to take the game to USA away. I just looked up the possession stats to see if they back up what I remember. We had 43% possession at home (the win) and 64% possession away (the loss). Small sample size, but it matches what I think our strategy should be against stronger teams, which is use our pace to beat the on the counter.

Against Suriname, we should be much better than them in midfield, so I imagine the plan will be to control the game. Hopefully we don’t play over aggressively and get caught on the counter, but I trust in our midfield to dominate theirs.

7 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Yeah, its too bad all our guys are still out celebrating league championships, otherwise I'm sure we'd be gathering too....😎

"Arfield won't be reporting to CanMNT camp", sources say. "Scott has been celebrating the Scottish league championship every single day since March 7th, ruling him out of key fixtures against Aruba and Suriname".

15 hours ago, Obinna said:

"Arfield won't be reporting to CanMNT camp", sources say. "Scott has been celebrating the Scottish league championship every single day since March 7th, ruling him out of key fixtures against Aruba and Suriname".

Oh well...he isn't really all that needed anyway tbh