WCQ: Aruba vs Canada - Saturday, June 5th, 8pm Eastern/5pm Pacific - IMG Academy, FL

38 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Lol..please stop with the drama. No one is going to care if Arfield takes Liam Fraser’s spot, for example.

You really believe Arfield would come in and take Fraser’s spot on the bench?  International football isn’t that simple, there is a lot of sacrifice these guys are making to play on this team for no money.  Sure there might be some drama in the post, but it’s not close to as simple as you are making it.

37 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

To say that Arfield will be welcomed back in the fall for the bigger games... 

I think Arfield, just like @MtlMario is underestimating Suriname.

I am far from convinced that there will be any fall matches. I am just as worried about Suriname as I was 5 years ago in San Pedro Sula.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

First, Arfield not being there hurts our depth and quality... leaves a bad taste in my mouth. 

...if we should fail without him, that bad taste will remain for a long time.

1 hour ago, trc2014 said:

I’m also surprised with Herdman’s comments regard Arfield yesterday.  I get that he has been upfront with his intentions for 2021, but a lot of these guys are sacrificing a lot to be at the games over the last two windows.  To say that Arfield will be welcomed back in the fall for the bigger games risks disrupting a cohesiveness that is so important to Herdman; someone on this team who will have given it their all to the Octo will have to give up their roster spot.  No matter Arfield’s quality, I imagine this won’t sit well with some members of the squad. 

Thats the deal with the national team.  Who knows who will be injured or risking their club situation by leaving etc.  Does no one remember Osorio and Tiebert both taking turns in the doghouse and being left out of multiple camps because the coach had issues with them?  We all want everyone there all the time but when does that actually happen?  Guys all over the globe in leagues in season and out of season..it must be like herding cats. 

Everyone welcomed Cavallini back after he made way more disparaging remarks about CDN soccer and skipped YEARS of national team involvement.  Arfield has been a good soldier for us and has helped to instill a tough, winning culture with his presence.  We shouldnt toss him out because of nagging injuries, and a need to heal up to be ready in the fall. In the long run this lets a Kaye or a Eusquaio shine.  And we'll need them all if we are going to get back to the WC.  

18 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Thats the deal with the national team.  Who knows who will be injured or risking their club situation by leaving etc.  Does no one remember Osorio and Tiebert both taking turns in the doghouse and being left out of multiple camps because the coach had issues with them?  We all want everyone there all the time but when does that actually happen?  Guys all over the globe in leagues in season and out of season..it must be like herding cats. 

Everyone welcomed Cavallini back after he made way more disparaging remarks about CDN soccer and skipped YEARS of national team involvement.  Arfield has been a good soldier for us and has helped to instill a tough, winning culture with his presence.  We shouldnt toss him out because of nagging injuries, and a need to heal up to be ready in the fall. In the long run this lets a Kaye or a Eusquaio shine.  And we'll need them all if we are going to get back to the WC.  

If this is the case, if he is injured, then that injury has to be confirmed by Rangers medical staff. The CSA has the right to request a full report. Furthermore, Canada has the right to call him in and to do the medical inspection in situ, with the team in the camp, if we are not satisfied with the explanation. That is standard and in line with FIFA rules.

A player refusing a call-up can be sanctioned, fact is fact. No player does the call-up, that is unthinkable, it is like deciding when under contract if you want to play for your team or not. I fully realise we have been dealing with this sort of stuff for decades, and that it is hard for our players to manage careers and NT call-ups.  We need flexibility. But we also cannot be mocked. 

From what I have read, Arfield has not accredited any injury officially before the CSA, and Herdman's comments suggest that no such procedure was respected by the player. Furhtermore, the player in question, whose league is half made up of teams who probably could not beat the top 8 in Concacaf, openly criticised the level of Concacaf play.

Every player accepting to be part of the taxi-list (I have no idea what that term means) or has agreed to go to the GC understands it is a way to be on the waiting list to make the first team. That is an excellent attitude. A pool of 45 players eager to play for Canada, half of whom see the GC as the step towards making the A team.

You can't cherry pick as a NT member, sorry. IMO he should not be called back into the fold if we make the OCTAGON, unless there are proper moves, on his part, to redress the error.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

36 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If this is the case, if he is injured, then that injury has to be confirmed by Rangers medical staff. The CSA has the right to request a full report. Furthermore, Canada has the right to call him in and to do the medical inspection in situ, with the team in the camp, if we are not satisfied with the explanation. That is standard and in line with FIFA rules.

A player refusing a call-up can be sanctioned, fact is fact. No player does the call-up, that is unthinkable, it is like deciding when under contract if you want to play for your team or not. I fully realise we have been dealing with this sort of stuff for decades, and that it is hard for our players to manage careers and NT call-ups.  We need flexibility. But we also cannot be mocked. 

From what I have read, Arfield has not accredited any injury officially before the CSA, and Herdman's comments suggest that no such procedure was respected by the player. Furhtermore, the player in question, whose league is half made up of teams who probably could not beat the top 8 in Concacaf, openly criticised the level of Concacaf play.

Every player accepting to be part of the taxi-list (I have no idea what that term means) or has agreed to go to the GC understands it is a way to be on the waiting list to make the first team. That is an excellent attitude. A pool of 45 players eager to play for Canada, half of whom see the GC as the step towards making the A team.

You can't cherry pick as a NT member, sorry. IMO he should not be called back into the fold if we make the OCTAGON, unless there are proper moves, on his part, to redress the error.

Exactly what I've been saying hence why we don't even need him now

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I disagree 100% in the current world. Life is a mess right now. 

Why are questioning the injury? He was out for weeks with an ankle injury and he made a short appearance run on in the final game for Rangers when the game was already won. He was announced out for the season at one point, but clearly dressed for the final game because he's their captain. Also, why should he have to accept a call-up to have to come home and quarantine for an extended period?

So... he's older. He's coming off a brutal injury. And It's fucking COVID. He gets a pass until the next round.

He's a fantastic player and if he wants to come back, Herdman will take him, despite any bad blood. If Herdman is letting something this incredibly minor cloud his judgement and make our team worse... he won't last too long here anyway.

And if we can't pick up the needed W's in these games... maybe our program isn't where we think it is. Because as good as Arfield is - guys like David and Davies should be able to control these games by themselves.

Edited by Hawkguy

20 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

I disagree 100% in the current world. Life is a mess right now. 

Why are questioning the injury? He was out for weeks with an ankle injury and he made a short appearance run on in the final game for Rangers when the game was already won. He was announced out for the season at one point, but clearly dressed for the final game because he's their captain. Also, why should he have to accept a call-up to have to come home and quarantine for an extended period?

So... he's older. He's coming off a brutal injury. And It's fucking COVID. He gets a pass until the next round.

He's a fantastic player and if he wants to come back, Herdman will take him, despite any bad blood. If Herdman is letting something this incredibly minor cloud his judgement and make our team worse... he won't last too long here anyway.

And if we can't pick up the needed W's in these games... maybe our program isn't where we think it is. Because as good as Arfield is - guys like David and Davies should be able to control these games by themselves.

Arfield sure when he's in form is as good as anyone on this team but was he even in form before this supposed injury? Yeah he's older but that just goes back to my point of us not really even needing him especially now that our younger guys in the midfield are also stepping up and they are in form right now.

Straight up - You can’t pick and choose for the national team. Period.

He isn’t the only one with a wife and kids, he isn’t the only one experiencing Covid-19, he isn’t the only one coming off an injury. A lot of you lot are making up the most excuses for him....we make it to the Oct, he only gets play if wotherspoon, hutch, Piette, Osorio, Kaye, eustaqiuo, are all unavailable. 

We don’t make the oct, I’m sure he’ll announce his retirement from Canada like stated in February by Gerard.

12 minutes ago, Shway said:

He isn’t the only one with a wife and kids, he isn’t the only one experiencing Covid-19, he isn’t the only one coming off an injury. A lot of you lot are making up the most excuses for him....we make it to the Oct, he only gets play if wotherspoon, hutch, Piette, Osorio, Kaye, eustaqiuo, are all unavailable. 

We don’t make the oct, I’m sure he’ll announce his retirement from Canada like stated in February by Gerard.

Thank you another person who agrees

1 hour ago, TGAA_Star said:

Arfield sure when he's in form is as good as anyone on this team but was he even in form before this supposed injury? Yeah he's older but that just goes back to my point of us not really even needing him especially now that our younger guys in the midfield are also stepping up and they are in form right now.

Exactly my point. Let him stay home. Let him rest up. Let him get healthy and enjoy a little time off. If he's healthy and in form later on, he'll be back. I dont see why this is a big deal with some posters.

Edited by Hawkguy

1 hour ago, Shway said:

No... you can - that's the joy of him being a human being. And that's why if he wants to be back, he'll be back. 

If he's not completely healthy, why would we want him anyway? 

1 hour ago, Ruffian said:

Hutch has passed on National Team games many times when he wasn't injured.

Why do we continue the blasphemy of comparing Hutch to Arfield?
Don't do it, I wont accept it and neither should any of you who have been around.

Hutch has nearly 5x the amount of caps that Arfield has.....which means yearrssssssssss of commitment.  That number is crazy considering the reality of the limited amount of games Canada plays. 

Again, stop with the blasphemy it's very ignorant. Hutch will retire a Canadian legend, and not a splash in the pan like many others.

All this hand wringing about what is allowed under the rules is all well and good, but when Herdman first took over I recall that he was transparent that working with overseas players and clubs would be challenge, even for official FIFA dates. I don't like it one bit, but it's the reality of the situation even before COVID and has been for a while, to varying degrees.

33 minutes ago, Shway said:

Why do we continue the blasphemy of comparing Hutch to Arfield?
Don't do it, I wont accept it and neither should any of you who have been around.

Hutch has nearly 5x the amount of caps that Arfield has.....which means yearrssssssssss of commitment.  That number is crazy considering the reality of the limited amount of games Canada plays. 

Again, stop with the blasphemy it's very ignorant. Hutch will retire a Canadian legend, and not a splash in the pan like many others.

What ever happened to this statement?

3 hours ago, Shway said:

27 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

What ever happened to this statement?

Holy sheit...your really clutching for straws. 

Ive also said before that, the only person who deserves that privilege is Hutchinson. 

Crazy that you’re putting Hutch on Arfields level. The accomplishments, the story and time served isn’t even comparable..